Vilistaja

• vilistaja
      vilistaja
      Bronze
      Hi,

I am from estonia and 24 years old. I am playing poker in real money tables for about a year and mostly brake even. On April this year i started playing more and my May winrate was like 50bb/100 but from June i am again brake even. Couple of days ago i looked my last 10000 hand graph which was real rollercoaster and i think it's not good for NL2. Now i decided to start NL beginners course to approve my game so i finally be able to move up limits and play better.
  • 9 replies
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      Good luck, man!

I would recommend doing the first homework. It is more of a self-analysis, to reflect what we think about ourselves why and when we play poker. A good way to get started at the course.
    • vilistaja
      vilistaja
      Bronze
      Now to the first homework

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I like the game itself and also the money that comes with playing it good. Also i hope that in some day i can pay for example my rent with money that i get from playing the game i like. Second thing why i play is that poker is like some kind of quiz or puzzel that i like to solve and it requires active thinking from me that in real life where is routine sometimes dissapears.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I think my worst mistake is to never fold big overpairs (QQ+) so on dangerous board i just call and even if i feel "i must be behind" and everything is showing that i still can't find the fold. Second thing is that i go so into the game and can't stop playing despite i know i start making mistakes.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight aggrssive is that when you choose the cards you play, so you don't play every hand that's dealt to you and you play them by betting or raising not calling. This works because if we have good hand we can win more by increasing the pot and also i we don't have so good hand we can make our opponent fold and then we still can win.

Also one question about the live coachings. In course page there is written that coaching topics repeat every 4 weeks but we have 8 lessons and one beginners coaching session per week. It doesn't make sense to me.
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      About your question concerning live coaching session. I think that the information is a bit outdated and they should update it.
      A few months ago, there was an additional live coaching designed specifically for beginner's course where "topics were meant to be repeated there every four weeks", but due to some reasons, it was cancelled.

However, the bankroll building live coaching with Veriz on Sundays is a good alternative to the cancelled coaching. I would recommend attending the Sunday's session at least a couple of times at first, to see how much you can actually gain there.

Question 1: The chance of winning money is probably the biggest reason why people are attracted to poker in first place. However, more experienced players realize that before getting to the point where earning money by playing poker can become a supporting motivational factor, you need to do some hard work. No one can tell you how long it will take you before you start earning some money: it can be days, weeks, or months. That is why it is recommended to set some more tangible goals for a while, i.e. those goals that you can achieve much sooner and appreciate (like amount of hands played each month, amount of articles analyzed, % of posted forum hands received positive feedback).

Veriz should give his professional feedback soon too. :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Also one question about the live coachings. In course page there is written that coaching topics repeat every 4 weeks but we have 8 lessons and one beginners coaching session per week. It doesn't make sense to me.

Unfortunately it's not updated, I used to coach as well but decided to cancel is cause I have been little busy. There is a lot new things planned for beginner's course and maybe even more advanced path. :) You can though always visit my coachings on Sunday.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • vilistaja
      vilistaja
      Bronze
      And my homework NR. 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I’d raise low pairs (22-99) from middle position, because i think it gives me more opportunities to win the the hand if i don’t hit a set. Then on good board i can bluff more effectively because limp shows that i can’t have too strong hand. I hope my point is understandable. Also from BB i reraise with Ace-small suited (A9s-A2s) to protect my blind as bluff 3-bet. Some differences more but they need more certain situation, but at the moment i try to stick to table as much as i can and try to learn to play these hands profitably.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      NL2 AQ Preflop decision.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      AKo has 46,32% equiti against top 5% range.
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      Question 1: I agree that taking initiative with pairs pre-flop allows you to take more pots down post-flop (you can bluff/semi-bluff on flop with a cbet). There is also another reason why raising with pairs is beneficial. On higher limits, players are smarter and look at players' patterns. If you stick to limp/call20 rule, you can become quite readable and you will not get any money from a regular player, because he will gladly fold his top pair, knowing that you have a set. But if you raise with a pair pre-flop and hit your set, the regular will believe your set less and may continue to play at least to the turn.
      However, it always depends on the table dynamics which pairs and from which positions can be raised.
      Re-raising with a low suited ace from BB. If your purpose is solely to 3-bet for a bluff, then you need to have some information about your opponent, like "does he fold often versus 3bet?", "does he steal often?". If not, you may run into a situation where you will face a random flop, out of position, and maybe with a dominated hand (an opponent has a better Ax). All in all, on NL2-NL4, the main profit comes from showdown winnings (mostly from all-ins and big-pot hands) and starting players should concentrate on avoiding "fancy play" on lower limits where they try to bluff/make unconventional moves. The latter is important because NL2-NL4 "fishes" don't think much. They just play. And your strategy should be quite straightforward: you have a strong/made hand - you bet/bet/bet. You have a weak or missed hand and an opponent shows great deal of aggression versus you, you fold. Hence, making a 3bet with a low suited ace for a bluff may actually be profitably in some situations, but don't overdo it either, otherwise you may lose a lot of money in a long run by making a somewhat unprofitable move pre-flop.
    • vilistaja
      vilistaja
      Bronze
      Homework NR.3
      Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.
      Done
      Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :club: 3 :diamond: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?
      Preflop i have 50.8% equity and on flop i have 26,5%.
      Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Close call, because i have odds 9/(46-9)=1/4,11 and i get pot odds 0,22/(0,25+0,22+0,44)=1/4,14.
      Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      NL2 AQ play
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them (except of course KK/AA strong hands :D ). You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that. Although the problem with playing them, especially from EP if you playing FR is the case that you wont always play them profitable and very low ones I would even advice to fold as 22-55 and raise it up like 66-77+.

With those suited aces I'd watch out. Depends a lot on the opponent against you 3betting. Cause if the guy calls loose then you way too often put yourself into trouble. Vs unknown though those hands are decent to 3bet as you have also the blocker in it.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!