moving from MTT to cash games

• Solovirs
      Solovirs
      Bronze
      Hello, ive been playing sng and mtt tournaments for the last 3 years, never played cash games but I want to start playing them. Any suggestions where to start learning from and how to convert my mtt skill to successful cash game skill the fastest way?
  • 3 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I did a search for "cash games" and found these.
      (http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/search.php?searchid=576852&page=3)
      Your question may already have been answered.

Cash Games vs. MTTs/SNGs
      Switching from SNGs to cash games
      MTT's vs Cash Games

if those don't do it for you, maybe try searching for some other keywords.

For me, I MUCH prefer cash games.
      Primary reason is I can quit any time.
      With MTTs, one false move -- or lucky villain suckout, can wipe out 7 hours of solid winning play, leaving you with nothing.
      The thing that you lose in cash game is the force of increasing blinds with which you can bully shorter stacks.
      In cash games, short stacks often don't provide sufficient implied odds to make some calls profitable, whereas in tournaments you can force them to fold.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      They both have their merits in my opinion. I am mainly a cash game player, but love the odd large-field MTT every month or so, they provide an excitement that you can't really get from cash games. I just satellited into Sunday Storm for $1, can't wait to wake up at 5.30am and know I'm competing with thousands of others, and that that $1 could possibly even turn into $30k (doesn't hurt to dream lol)

But at the same time like Vorpal said you can easily be left with nothing, the last tournament I was in, played 4 hours, bubbled QQ vs AK and had nothing to show for it (did still enjoy the tourney though). You don't really have that sorta thing in cash games.

It depends what you want. Cash games are steady and profitable, you can easily see progress. You can be excellent tourney player and have long runs without any ITM and feel terrible, you know a huge ship is eventually coming to you, but you don't know where, what or when. If you do win big though, you get a % on your money that you can never attain in cash games eg. 1000x your buy in.
    • Solovirs
      Solovirs
      Bronze
      Yeah, the mtt thrill was the main reason why i kept playing them for so long, but the 1000 bi swing is starting to bother me really bad since i`m living off poker for the past few months