Vtec9k

• Vtec9k
      Vtec9k
      Bronze
      I'm 31 from the UK and starting this thread to try to learn properly and knockout those bad habits...

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Well I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie and also like strategy games like Starcraft 2. So I guess NL poker sort of combines the two ;) Of course the money is a factor as well, but even if you're not winning much is a great "scoreboard" to judge your improvements.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think I play ok pre-flop but my post-flop/turn/river play is pretty bad and i really need to understand the odds and maths a bit better.

A big weakness is I go for volume of hands over quality. I need to sit down and focus on improving specific parts of my play rather than just hoping everything will work itself out.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

I guess my interpretation is that you should carefully choose what pots you get involved with according to cards and position and always try to have control of the hand rather than letting others lead you down the wrong path.
  • 13 replies
    • Vtec9k
      Vtec9k
      Bronze
      So my normal game is 6max NL4 but part of my motivation for moving from Sky poker was to learn a bit about FR and I'm trying to be good and stick to the rules in the articles.

And I must say I'm finding it very tight, some tables i've been down maybe 10bb just due to the blinds without even playing a serious hand. On the plus side I've not lost any silly mid size pots which did happen often when i was playing aggressively (fishily!) in 6max tables. So I guess it's good for me in the end :)

So thinking some goals over the next few weeks

Next week
      Gather 40 PP to release the final part of my PS.com bonus cash - 26/40 so far
      Play strictly to the hand opening chart, call 20/15 rule
      Complete lessons 2-4

September
      Complete all 8 lessons + Exam
      Gather 141 PP to release 1st part of deposit bonus
      Aim for an average of 20bb/100 hands in profit. (is this realistic? more/less?)

This Year
      Move up to NL10
      Use $60 winnings to buy HM2 (pro version + addins if poss!)
      Gather all 564 PP to fully release deposit bonus
      Work on my SnG and MTT play

Ok that should do for now :) I'll hopefully adjust these upwards as I improve!
    • Vtec9k
      Vtec9k
      Bronze
      Lesson 2 while I play the PS.com freeroll :)

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

There are a lot of nitty players at NL4 and i feel blind stealing is something I'm comfortable doing. Certainly mid-high AXo and high suited 1 gappers which aren't on the chart at all are fine to use, especially because they are very easy to fold if you don't hit 2 pair or a big draw.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I feel my preflop play is pretty good for the low levels but I'm sure I'll find some hands to post up after this session. :f_eek:

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      MP3    46.32%  37.91%   8.41% { AKo }

So 46% or about 1.2:1 odds against. Although I'm not really sure what that means in terms of play but I guess it makes it profitable to call most of the time as you're maybe being asked to call 4bb to win 5.5 which is about 1.4:1?
    • Vtec9k
      Vtec9k
      Bronze
      Pretty happy with my play tonight except perhaps overplaying medium strenght hands against some small stacks but I had one had that confused me a bit... NL4 FR QJs and con fused

• Vtec9k
      Vtec9k
      Bronze
      So onwards with the learning, i don't think i've used my maths skills so much since school :) But it's made me think about the decicions i and other players make which is all good...

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

So it starts 50.78% vs 49.22% which actually seems a lot closer than I thought! Then drops to 26.46% vs 73.54% which i think is 3:1 so might not actually be that bad to call a small bet?

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

I guess my real decision would depend on my opponents but it's probably unprofitable in the long run. Especially since that check then raise seems like he hit the straight.

I don't really have the 4 as on out because it'd make my ace pointless (probably just slip the pot?) so a 4:1 flush draw but only 2:1 pot odds. Implied odds certainly help assuming he hit a big hand though I'm not sure if it's worth it either?

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

3bet raises on the flop are really difficult for me because they are so rare in microlimits. Normally i just fold unless i have the nuts but I'm sure a few are just maniacs bluffing when i look at their stats. Either way i'm not sure on the the best plays with mid-high pairs that could improve.

NL4 FR 66 to ship or not to ship

I've read the articles about post flop play with initiative but when playing without or OOP is a real weakness so I need to spend more time on that.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

I like your goals, it's always good to set at least something, though try to also set realistic goals and don't overwork yourself. Failing goals might sometimes lower your motivation. :(

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

Wow, that's a nice graph. :) Keep it coming mate and don't be sad if you once hit also a downswing, that's just part of our sessions and you can't run away from them.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • Vtec9k
      Vtec9k
      Bronze
      Thanks Veriz, really appreciate you taking the time to answer :)

Unfortunately I've been out the country with work so only managed to play a little. And took some bad beats thanks to dodgy hotel wireless, nothing like timing out in a 3bet pot with AK on a A high board!

Hit a few goals currently on 80PP so well on the way to releasing my various bonuses which should help the bankroll and might even get gold membership in a couple of days.

Hopefully more time to get stuck in over the next week. :s_cool:
    • Vtec9k
      Vtec9k
      Bronze
      Lesson 4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop

NL4 6Max KK - Betsizing?

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

nl4 sh QQ CO

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie

MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Roll on the tens :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

How have you been? :)

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • Vtec9k
      Vtec9k
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity
      Doing great thanks! Works been a nightmare but the poker is going ok which is what matters :)

That's a handy formula for sure, well worth trying to memorize it. i feel i'm fine with a maths, now just gotta learn how to make good decision using it.
    • Vtec9k
      Vtec9k
      Bronze
      So I've had a pretty terrible week, was super loosing on the tables and split up with my girlfriend. But today I've done a lot of positive things like tidy my flat, go to gym and read/watch a bunch of poker tutorials and I'm feeling much better.

September Goal progress:
      Complete all 8 lessons + exam - failed! so will have to try harder next month...
      Gather 141 PP to release 1st part of deposit bonus - Done! - only 7 party points to go till my next $5
      Aim for an average of 20bb/100 hands in profit. (is this realistic? more/less?) - Failed! excluding the $5 bonus I'm down about 500bb :(

October Goals:
      Complete all 8 lessons + Exam
      Aim for an average of 20bb/100 hands in profit. (is this realistic? more/less?) - I think 10bb is probably doable.

I can't help but think mindset has a huge effect on your game and my "downswing" was 100% tilt.

Today's Graph :)

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Sorry for delayed answer, I have been moving to new country so it did take me to set up everything at my place, now I am back and starting to evaluate the homeworks.

Sorry to hear about your bad week. :( Hope you are well now? Might also take some off time from poker cause you might be still a bit tilty and which will affect your game.

You understand mate that you have to run like a god to achieve 20bb/100??? :P Even keep 10bb/100 is amazing and you have to be running good for it. :P Be happy if you get even 5 for decent hand sample. ;)

As said about your tilt that your terrible week might have affected it as well, which means rather don't play during those times.