Nash Calculator

• IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      Is it legal to use the nash calculator while playing? I'm asking about the biggest rooms like stars,etc. I know they don't allow a lot of third-party programs but you can use nash calc from the browser..
  • 8 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey IhasLuck,

Each site usually has a list of prohibited software and toold you can use, you can find the pokerstars one here: http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/prohibited/

On this page it also says, "There are some tools and services which have legitimate uses for analysing your game, but which are not appropriate for use during play. For example, ICM (Independent Chip Model) and Nash Equilibrium tools may be used for post-game analysis and for studying hands which you have previously played."

Basically you cant use a tool that tells you what decision is mathematically correct whilst playing but you can of course use this to review hands afterwards. Not sure how it would be detected in browser but i think this is still against the rules. Maybe you could mail stars directly and ask them? They usually reply pretty quickly

All the best
      Carl
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      Thanks, that's the answer I wanted. I don't think it'd be hard to detect it in browser too.
      Anyway it would take some time to type in all the info into the nash whilst playing. But you could make a simple program that does it by reading the last HH and adjusting blinds further. Good thing it's illegal.
    • sleeeep
      sleeeep
      Bronze
      Ops I want to ask something, sometimes after I play a hand I just open pokerstrategy equilab to see what was the odds of that hand preflop/postflop etc, is this illegal too?

edit: I just checked the ps info page and found this is legal :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by sleeeep
      Ops I want to ask something, sometimes after I play a hand I just open pokerstrategy equilab to see what was the odds of that hand preflop/postflop etc, is this illegal too?

edit: I just checked the ps info page and found this is legal :)
      After is perfectly fine, since what you learn can no longer influence your decision.

Note, however that some rooms have the ability to access your process list, and if they detect a forbidden program RUNNING they will discipline you -- a warning usually.

Be certain that equilab is acceptable to the room you play.
    • sleeeep
      sleeeep
      Bronze
      But that "after" mean is while I'm continue to play other hands I just check the previous hand but it is in acceptable list of pokerstars so you can use guys gl on the tables
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sleeeep
      But that "after" mean is while I'm continue to play other hands I just check the previous hand but it is in acceptable list of pokerstars so you can use guys gl on the tables
      I don't think this is ok. I remember once i had left the Stars client open all day (not playing i just didnt close it after finishing my session that morning) I tried to open equilab or ICM trainer i don't remember which and a warning message popped up, followed by a warning in email from Stars even though i wasnt playing a game at the time.

The best thing to do is to mark down the hands you want to review, if you are using HEM2 you just click the holdem manager logo on the table you want find the hand and select "mark for review" or whatever it says now then when you finish your session open up HEM go to your hands set the filter for marked hands and there you are all the hands you wanted to review are ready and waiting for you :)
    • sleeeep
      sleeeep
      Bronze
      Sir, that's ok it is in your linked list of pokerstars official page :) it is permitted PokerStrategy Equilab :) The warn's reason must be ICM trainer, because ICM programs are prohibited.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Well in that case, go for it :D

I would still probably save my hands up and do it all together afterwards though because punching numbers into equilab is gonna distract from the new hand you are trying to concentrate on but it's upto you if you can multi task well then i don't see why not :)

Have a nice evening