baaad downswing

• NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      please tell me what is happening
      I play at mansion and in the previous days I lost more than half of my bankroll (nearly 40$)
      my bankroll is steady going down although i'm not playing loose
      I'm reading articles, watching videos, comments, i think that I do not play bad
      I do not play much on the cash games although some of the loses I made in such games
      usually I play SnGs and for the last 10 days i played 84 - 22 won, 8 second places, 34 times lost in the bubble play (most of the games I lost these days)
      so I got a nice winrate I think
      however these days i get opponents that just kill me
      on every table there are at least 7 or 8 guys that still play 20+ min. its like they know my exact play style and they are cutting me off every single time no matter if I play more loose or more tight
      EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM is restealing pots or at least blind stealing
      I saw 4 or 5 blind steals in a row in a game with 5 players remaining (the guy with least chips had 2000 and with most 3500)
      and all this on 1$ + 0,1 SnG
      please tell me what can I do because its freaking me out
  • 9 replies
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      You have two options:
      1. mark them and don't play SNGs with them or
      2. play with them and learn and hit them hard when you have monster :D

Your winrate is very good my winrate at SNGs is minus a lot :D I just try them now and than and well so far went really bad :D

But i am doing ok at NL tables and there i mark players and make notes about there play style etc. so that i make easier decision next time ;) At least sometimes ofcourse :D
    • jmaric7
      jmaric7
      Bronze
      I know how you feel. Try to play tight in early stage and when blinds rise, you start to play more loose- and be agressiv. When they are stealing blinds- try to re-steal and when they try to re-resteal. If they know that u are just stealing blinds, they will try to re-steal, so you have option to re-resteal. Try out and hope they will fold or have worse cards.

And good luck in future
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      the thing is that its not about specific players
      in the last 2 or 3 days in every SnG that I enter there are at least 5 or 6 players like this
      I am starting to think that this is some kind of competition between higher limit players - who will kill more fish
      I just feel outplayed in every single tourney
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hi NRGBlaze,

You are facing a standard variance. Your sample is just to small. Just make sure that you took necessary BRM step, like moving down the limit. Its absolutely natural. I had to move down myself several times, during my SSS career and there is nothing you can do about it. So I suggest:

1) take a full break (1-2 days)
      don't play, don't visit forum, don't even think about poker. reset your mind.
      2) after a break, take another day or two for evaluation. Evaluate every single SNG you played during your streak. Post hands where you have any doubts. Force yourself to post at least 10-15 hand.
      3) Find negative patterns in your game and take another day or two to work on eliminating them.
      Thats the part were you have to be creative and i can't really give you a general advice on how to do it.
      If you have a specific ICM problem - simulate it in Trainer and solve 1k cases. If you have early stage problems - narrow them and acquire more knowledge by posting hand and questions, asking specific questions on coaching, review articles and previously posted hands, etc... But try to narrow down your leaks as much as possible and work on solving one at time. As soon as you fixed one, proceed to the next one. This way you will have more mental space to process new information.

This is very effective framework) In fact, when you get more experience you can shorten it up to 2-3 days) Its very important to utilize the time, when you have a downswing, to evolve as a poker player. When you are running bad, you become naturally more critical about your game and have more motivation to get better! So use it!

I hope it helped you a bit. Good luck !
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      hello xylere
      thank you for your help although i see you havent noticed the limit that I play at
      You are facing a standard variance. Your sample is just to small. Just make sure that you took necessary BRM step, like moving down the limit. Its absolutely natural.

i am playing at the 1+0,10 SnGs which is the lowest level
      I think that you are right but at the present time I just dont feel like taking a total break (I'm probably addicted) :D
      but I already started reviewing my game - I am reading and rereading the articles, tonight I'm going to attend the public coaching, starting to think more about my game during the tournaments and I feel that I am getting on my feet again - my last 5 tourneys are 2 wins 1 second place and two losses
      so I'm off to fix the holes in my bankroll an TO HAVE FUN ;)
      so lets play some poker :D :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: :D
    • JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      are you multi tabling ?

if not, try 2-4 tabling.. having 4 or more consecutive OOTM Sngs can be really crushing if you 1 table.. the amount lost if you don't finish ITM while 4-tabling is the same but it is easier to handle if you do this within ~40minutes instead of ~2,5h while 1 tabling..
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      yeah but not with 4
      i'm multi tabling with two tables right now
      I think its the optimal for my skill
      i tried with three tables couple of times but I cannot keep track at the bubble play and I cannot see my opponents' style clear because of all the action at the same time so its harder to adjust
    • JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      yeah I know that feeling,.. add one more table when you feel comfortable with push/fold, if it works well add another one..

you will get confidence at multi tabling and this is pretty important for playing sngs

I did it the same way and today playing 6 tables is not a problem
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      whooo time is back with a vengeance. I'm winning most of the coinflips and my bankroll is at the starting point already (means that I won around 20$)
      NIIIIICE :D