[NL2-NL10] NL10: 78s Cold call BUvsCO

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1888962
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $10.05 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 2,9, Hands: 383
      BB: $8.00 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 10, 3B: 7, AF: 3,7, Hands: 446
      UTG: $10.16 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 10, 3B: 5, AF: 1,7, Hands: 80
      MP: $8.91 - VPIP: 39, PFR: 4, 3B: 20, AF: 0,7, Hands: 23
      CO: $10.00 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 22, 3B: 0, AF: 1,8, FoldTo3Bet: 75(4), cBetFlop: 70(10), COsteal: 43, Hands: 112
      Hero (BTN): $10.55 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,7, Hands: 67888

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with 8 :club: 7 :club:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.75) T :diamond: 9 :heart: 8 :heart: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.50, CO folds

So about my preflop decision: villain can fold to 3Bets, that's true, however, I had quite some dynamics going with this guy already as I had 3Bet him very recently 2 times and in the second time he seemed to already adapt by 4Bet/calling TT BUvsSB, thus I don't want to 3Bet him so recently again. Although a case could be made that maybe he would be willing to take the careful approach as well for a few hands since our last encounter since I stacked him with KK and that thus I can even 3Bet here and put max pressure on him. Went for the call though.

Against villain's preflop openraising range we are doing fine, given that we need to win the pot 40% of all times:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    38.34%  37.29%   1.05% { 87s }
      MP3    61.66%  60.61%   1.05% { 22+, A2s+, K8s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, A9o+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o, 98o }

I am willing to play back on many flops with backdoor equity vs this guy and if it was just me and him I'd have difficulty to see why this preflop call is not good. However, the blinds seem to be able to squeeze from time to time.

So on the flop I pretty much prefer betting there. We have to protect our hand + it is cool to have initiative + river free card, even despite the fact that villain does not call with worse in this spot. Postflop here does not concern me as much.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Well, the hand does play somewhat well in multiway pots, though one loose guy folded already and we are up against a guy who also CBs a lot. Do you think he will show more respect on you postflop? Cause by just calling and hoping for a hit obviously vs such a guy you will rarely end up having profit in long run or hoping to hit a draw.

Though postflop pretty standard, not much to say that we kinda need to bet and protect our hand whilst he doesn't show interest into the pot.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Do you think he will show more respect on you postflop?

Since we already have some dynamics going on with this guy regarding 3Bet spots it is quite likely that villain will be suspicious of us making moves postflop as well, right? Which makes this a rather close decision preflop, if not even a fold.

Although I could maybe look from another point of view – since we might get less credit I am calling for my implied odds, i.e. I expect to get paid off when I hit since villain won't believe me? Thus I reduce my pure bluffing frequency postflop and go for semi-bluffs with a bit stronger backdoors than I maybe could have bluffed with, had I had the necessary fold equity for that. I hit and BAM, big money, no? I mean, it does sound a bit tricky since it's difficult to guess how he is going to react vs my flop raises aso., + it also sounds like quite a lot of folding vs his cBets until we do hit a bit stronger backdoor + regular draws. Thus I guess folding preflop is still best at the end of the day.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Do you think he will show more respect on you postflop?

Since we already have some dynamics going on with this guy regarding 3Bet spots it is quite likely that villain will be suspicious of us making moves postflop as well, right? Which makes this a rather close decision preflop, if not even a fold.

Although I could maybe look from another point of view – since we might get less credit I am calling for my implied odds, i.e. I expect to get paid off when I hit since villain won't believe me? Thus I reduce my pure bluffing frequency postflop and go for semi-bluffs with a bit stronger backdoors than I maybe could have bluffed with, had I had the necessary fold equity for that. I hit and BAM, big money, no? I mean, it does sound a bit tricky since it's difficult to guess how he is going to react vs my flop raises aso., + it also sounds like quite a lot of folding vs his cBets until we do hit a bit stronger backdoor + regular draws. Thus I guess folding preflop is still best at the end of the day.
      Not really. :P You have just 100 hands on him and maybe he has even less image from you, so I wouldn't really build up some BIG dream hopes here with it. And if you say he isn't giving respect postflop then you can't just go for the implied odds cause you can very easily with your hand put yourself into trouble. Once you hit your flush you could maybe even be vs bigger flushes + have people behind you who could easily squeeze.