Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 5:club: 5:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60, 2 players) 8:spade: 8:heart: 4:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.42, BB calls $0.42

Turn: ($1.44, 2 players) 2:spade:
      Hero bets $1.02, BB calls $1.02

River: ($3.48, 2 players) 3:heart:
      Hero bets $1.60, BB calls $1.60

Hero shows 5:club: 5:spade: (Two Pair, Eights and Fives)
      BB shows T:club: T:heart: (Two Pair, Tens and Eights)
      BB wins $6.35

Villain unknown, stats 35/14/4 / 80h
      The turn and river seemed to "secure my hand".
      1) Turn 2nd barrel?
      2) River block bet?
  • 5 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Got to ask you: what do you think that would call the first 2 streets there? Draws are likely to stick in for 1 street, but otherwise your opponent's range forms from over-pair combos and sets, even 8x is possible.
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      Villain seemed to be slightly more aggressive and if the villain had a real monster, I would have expected him/her to go nuts on the turn (for maximizing value). However, after a passive second call, I figured he might have been turn floating/drawing. We can add all spades' suited aces (especially higher than As9s), all the spades' suited broadways.

Another reason, it's a battle of the blinds. Villain may not put me on any very strong hand that would give him more confidence to float/draw.

I figured it was cheaper to block bet in hope of a small chance with fold equity than biting my nails and figuring out if I can call a $3 dollar bet after my check. True, 55 is a crap, but villain didn't signal any strength either to re-evaluate my hand...
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      c/f river. usually not going to be floated two streets with ace high, and Ax spades is not a huge part of his range

he's in position, ofc he can afford to call his nutted hands on the turn. and he should if you're 3-barreling this wide...
      i'd still 2-barrel though in order to protect our equity from ace high and fold out better hands from time from time.

by your comments, you seem to understand that you are actually bluffing the river, right?
      i'd c/f because he will only have so few bluffs and weak hands by the river, a lot more of that will be strong or nutted hands. and if he called down with ace high he may consider it as showdown value and check it behind.
      as to turning our hand into a bluff, probably not worth vs such a reasonably strong range
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      Not so much bluffing, but as much hoping to see less expensive showdown. Somehow I got myself leveled and thought that I might have been ahead, but wasn't sure of it, so I was ready to invest $1.60 than then taking timebank and thinking about calling ~ $3 bet by a villain. Fishy talk, today I see how stupid it was to bet on the river. :f_p:

If I think about the block bet, then the move as a bluff doesn't make sense. There is basically not a single hand that is going to call me and be behind of me (even 66-77 can go for a hero call vs that river bet size).

All in all, I paid $1.60 to unlevel myself and see villain's range. :f_biggrin:
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think turn bet for value is fine, but you don´t really get called too many worse hands, instead of b/f I would likely take c/c or c/f line, since betting to get value for 4x or A high seems too thin. I like c/c often c/c turn, since players would very often float on paired board and then would bet their air if check to them

best regards,