[NL2-NL10] NL10: QJs flop raise

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1889919
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: $3.87 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 25, 3B: 13, AF: 3,0, Hands: 87
      CO: $8.70 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 12, 3B: 8, AF: 10,0, AFq: 53, cBetFlop: 100(5), Hands: 68
      Hero (BTN): $10.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,7, Hands: 68372
      SB: $18.41 - VPIP: 9, PFR: 9, 3B: 11, AF: 0,0, Hands: 23
      BB: $14.99 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 16, 3B: 0, AF: 3,0, Hands: 70

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with Q :spade: J :spade:
      1 fold, CO raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.75) 3 :diamond: 3 :club: 7 :spade: (2 players)
      CO bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, CO calls $1

Turn: ($3.75) 4 :spade: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

River: ($3.75) 5 :heart: (2 players)
      CO bets $1.50, Hero folds

Ought to make sense and be standard.
  • 8 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      This isn't that good of a move, because your not representing a thing there, and a thinking player knows that their AQ etc. are still in good shape. With this plan, you should have barreled the turn, too, to represent overpair or set.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don´t mind your flop raise in general, but board is just too dry that I would rather either just fold or call. Bluffraising 236 board seems better option, since then you have more reason raise with set to protect your hand. Since you improved your equity I think betting turn 2.8$ is better option than trying to improve either flush or Q/J.

best regards,
      Bronze
      Might Veriz take a look @ this hand? I believe that to bet the turn wouldn't be a great idea here as we don't have enough fold equity vs the range that calls the flop even with our additional regular equity. I also can't decide whether or not I like raising this flop, given that villain is not fullstacked and is therefore probably not a great player. Although he is tight + cBets a lot, thus the raise is maybe still doable.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Not worth fighting back such boards, you can't really represent much and he obviously isn't going to fold that much, maybe even continues just Ace high. Rather just leave it alone and if you even take stab then also bet the turn with extra equity.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      May such boards be raised in this spot vs regulars? I know I don't represent much but do all opponents necessarily call me down light/fight back for that single reason?

Would raising on nonpaired rag flops be doable, as Kaitz pointed out, on the other hand?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      May such boards be raised in this spot vs regulars? I know I don't represent much but do all opponents necessarily call me down light/fight back for that single reason?

Would raising on nonpaired rag flops be doable, as Kaitz pointed out, on the other hand?

As always, can be raised, can be floated, can be folded. :P Everything is possible as long we have decent tendency reads and assume that the guy plays straight forward, why not to raise?

And about raising non-paired board also:

There isn't really any straight forward answers to your questions and wont ever be. Depends what board, depends against what opponent/stack etc. Depends what backdoor equity we have our hand and many more factors.
      Bronze
      What is the quickest way to notice that someone is playing straightforwardly? Or to put it in other words: when observing an opponent, at which point can we mentally declare: "OK, now I think that this guy is not calling me down extremely light and is honest about his hand strength, I am going to test his ability to adapt to some pressure (even by raising otherwise non-representable boards)"?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      What is the quickest way to notice that someone is playing straightforwardly? Or to put it in other words: when observing an opponent, at which point can we mentally declare: "OK, now I think that this guy is not calling me down extremely light and is honest about his hand strength, I am going to test his ability to adapt to some pressure (even by raising otherwise non-representable boards)"?
      In that case? Just take a look at the stack and you have the answer.