[NL2-NL10] NL10: AJ cold call vs CO openraise

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1889925
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $10.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,7, Hands: 68372
      BB: $6.47 - VPIP: 59, PFR: 24, 3B: 25, AF: 0,0, Hands: 17
      UTG: $15.87 - VPIP: 10, PFR: 6, 3B: 6, AF: 0,0, Hands: 52
      MP: $10.00 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 19, 3B: 7, AF: 0,0, Hands: 81
      CO: $10.45 - VPIP: 32, PFR: 29, 3B: 12, AF: 3,4, AFq: 37, cBetFlop: 51(37), CO_Steal: 37, FoldTo3Bet: 50(12), Hands: 299
      BTN: $4.00 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 27, 3B: 17, AF: 0,5, Hands: 22

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with A :spade: J :diamond:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.70) 7 :diamond: 4 :heart: 2 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.70) T :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, CO calls $0.50

River: ($1.70) 9 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

I don't like 3Betting here because I am not really sure he is calling wide enough for my AJ to be ahead of his range + we are OOP + he seems to be loose and seems to be taking a weaker range to the showdown overall, thus we have little fold equity postflop.

Therefore I just call and play against his whole range preflop.

Keeping in mind the fact that he does not seem to be cBetting all that much I suppose I am just folding if he cBets this flop, although I would call, if his cBet % was higher.

As played: I suppose it makes sense to take a stab on the turn given that he has not shown interest in the pot + we have 2 overs + we even may get value from 1crd FDs.
  • 7 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

AJ is ahead against 32/29 player and even if you don´t get called by worse hands it is better to 3-bet to force out BB and build nice aggressive image.

If you lead turn I think you need to lead river 1.2$. If he does not have there flush, he would fold better hands and your hand looks a lot like flushdraw or pair+flushdraw if you bet out turn

best regards,
      Bronze
      AJ is ahead against 32/29 player and even if you don´t get called by worse hands it is better to 3-bet to force out BB and build nice aggressive image.

I suppose that vs this kind of a guy it is OK to 3Bet AJ only if we assume to have fold equity postflop. Sadly I didn't include his foldTocBet stats and it is difficult to find the hand now, but surely a 3Bet here is not that great an option if villain does not fold to cBets, because:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    46.66%  41.81%   4.85% { AJo }
      MP3    53.34%  48.48%   4.85% { 99+, ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, ATo+, KQo }

Even vs a relatively loose calling range we are not really ahead and we have to make up for this equity by either fold equity postflop or, if he's loose, by our edge/him being bad, which we have to realize through valuebetting our made hands, hoping to get a lot of calls with worse. Keeping in mind also that we are OOP + we are sometimes dominated by better Ax hands and we will not know whether we can valuebet our Ax TP, this is not exactly that clear a 3Bet, in my opinion. If villain is either folding a lot postflop or bad enough for us to get paid off quite a bit once we hit, then I agree, of course. But since I have not included a lot of information about the guy, I think the safest and best option is still calling and keeping his range wide.

Although thinking about it again, we still have fold equity preflop + the aggressive image is an added benefit (though not to be overvalued, IMO), 3Betting wouldn't be all that bad. It's just that then I would pretty much prefer knowing how loose villain is postflop and whether or not we can valuebet our TP when the Ace appears.

If you lead turn I think you need to lead river 1.2$. If he does not have there flush, he would fold better hands and your hand looks a lot like flushdraw or pair+flushdraw if you bet out turn

If villain checks behind this flop in order to call this particular turn, doesn't his hand very much look like Tx or a FD? Tx folds on river, but a FD does not.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Check/Fold the turn without even having any equity in your hand there. Not worth taking stabs. :) Nor doesn't make sense to take stabs on the river cause his range will have a lot of FDs.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      If villain's flop cBet was higher (~70%+), could we check/call this board? If not one with a possible FD, then maybe a rainbow one?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      If villain's flop cBet was higher (~70%+), could we check/call this board? If not one with a possible FD, then maybe a rainbow one?
      Try to open equilab and test it out. :) Put opponent on CO and then far amount what kind of CBetting range he could have there and see how you doing with your hand.
      Bronze
      Even if villain cBets his whole range on the flop we are not that far ahead:

Board: 7:diamond: 4:heart: 2:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    55.74%  54.05%   1.69% { AsJd }
      MP3    44.26%  42.57%   1.69% { 22+, A2s+, K8s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, 65s, A9o+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o, 98o }

Of course, his openraising range may be a bit different, but overall the result should be just about the same.

Even if villain's cBet stat would be ~70% it's difficult to tell if this is the kind of a board on which he would ever cBet with air (because if it is, then he probably is cBetting with his whole range anyway) + if I am the kind of an opponent vs whom he would do it. I also don't know how often he 2nd barrels + I am OOP. That said I think that even if villain's cBet was higher it is a tough call to make on an FD flop.

On a rainbow one:

Board: 7:diamond: 4:heart: 2:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    58.45%  56.66%   1.78% { AsJd }
      MP3    41.55%  39.77%   1.78% { 22+, A2s+, K8s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, 65s, A9o+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o, 98o }

It becomes sort of doable and it may be considered, provided that villain also cBets a lot + doesn't 2nd barrel.

Please, correct me if a part of my analysis is flawed!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      That's not really just about the flop play, you must realize poker is always about "IT DEPENDS", according to that we also base our play-style either to float, raise, donk etc. Anything can be picked here dependent on what information we have. With just knowing that he CBs flop 70%, I can NEVER-EVER give you correct play what you play in the future every time you see.