Poker league strategy

• Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Hey,

I have a poker league starting this week that runs for 16 weeks that has 18 players. We play a tournament each week where we each start with 7,500 in chips and the blinds start at 25/50. They go up every 15 minutes and double about every 2nd level so it's a pretty good structure. Every week each player pays 20 dollars for the game itself and another 20 dollars which goes into a big prize pool for the 16th week where the top 8 players over these weeks will play for all the side money collected. The top 8 in each game earn points as follows:
      1st: 450, 2nd: 300, 3rd: 210, 4th: 150, 5th: 120, 6th: 105, 7th: 90, 8th: 75.
      Also, every game itself pays as follows in accordance with the 20 dollars that everyone has bought in for:
      1st: 50%, 2nd: 25%, 3rd: 15%, 4th: 10%

My question would be what is the best way for me to approach this league in terms of strategy. I think it would be to my benefit to try to achieve the most points since most of the money is going to come from that final game on the 16th week and players are rewarded with more chips on that day the higher they finish in the points.

I know this question is pretty complicated so maybe some coaches on here can help me with an overall strategy. I was also looking for help with a general push/fold and icm decisions with different stack sizes in this type of structure.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • 9 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Michael,

I guess the first question should be how competent are the other players? Have you ever played with anyof them before? Are they semi serious players or just some guys. from down the pub out for a bit of a gamble?

If the case is that they are just recreational players playing for fun keep tight and dont bluff they wont fold.

If they have a bit of poker knowledge and know what they are doing still play this way to stsrt with and find some spots to exploit.

As for the league in general sure its gonna be best gathering as many pointa as you can but the only way to so is to play your best and finish as high as you can each week. Its no good playing super aggressive each week if that doesnt get you into the points play safe and pick your spots well if your aim is to consistantly get points your aim should be to stay in as long as you can and again see which players areweak as you get deeper into the game allowing you to take advantage and go for the win

Keep us updated on the results
      Carl
    • Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Most of the other players are pretty good. There are some loose weaker players who play too many hands and chase a lot as well. I've played with all of them before.

What are some ways I can exploit them? I have been watching some of Collin Moshman's vids where he iso raises limpers in position to take the pot heads up most of the time and play in position where he should have the advantage. Please let me know of any other ways I could take advantage of bad players besides just extracting value from better holdings and playing tighter than they do. I guess against the better players it's best to just find an optimal line to play against them and have a small ball approach.

Also, I'm looking for help with late game play if you could help or know of any places I could find info on this for this 18 man tournament structure.

Thanks again
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      You need to pay attention to the little things they do as well as the cards they are holding for example do they fold to a blind steal a lot? If so pick up some easy chips, are they trying to steal your blind a lot? If so how do they react when you 3bet them do they give up? If so pick up some easy chips. How do they play post flop in 3b pots? How does he play draws, can you pick up some chips by raising him on turn or river when his draws miss?

All things like this to help you build your stack and run deeper into the points :)
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      I'm Confused, yu say $20 each week that goes into the big prize pool for the end, that would mean 18 players so $20 per player per week a grand total of $5560, your final payouts are only a fraction of this?
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      i think he means $20 taken out of the pot each week added together at the end

Your points season is a bit crazy imo

why not just keep it simple and use the same system as the formula 1

25, 18, 15, 12 ,10, 8 , 6 , 4

and maybe you get 100 or 200 chips per point or whatever depending how deep you want to be at the final
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Still doesn't make sense as that would only be like $320, there's $1500 in the total prize pool for the end league, I'm just curious :f_biggrin:
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      where does it say there $1500
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maloco87
      where does it say there $1500
      Ops just re read it, the numbers by the eight positions are points not prizes, my bad :p
    • Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Ok thanks. Each player pays 40 each week over the 15 weeks. 20 of the 40 from everyone goes into a prizepool for that game alone and the other 20 from everyone goes into the final prizepool for the final game on the 16th.

Looking for help on shoving ranges for different effective stack sizes for late game play. How should your shoving range change if you are a big stack pushing against another big stack or if there are one or more players with a micro stack.

Looking forward to receiving some feedback.