changing limits

• Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      I recently moved from 0.02$/0.04$ to 0.05%/0.10$, but I soon found difficulties. The problem is I don't know what's the root of the problem. :f_confused:

Firstly, I changed limits thanks to a tournament win which doubled my bankroll (I'm a cash game player). I don't know exactly what the reasons I can't do so well here are, but that's why I'm posting this to help me find out.
      The reasons might be:
      - better opponents
      - not used to the limit, playing scare money
      - the fact that there are very few full ring cash games going, making me play at SH tables where I don't have much experience :s_cry:
      - just variance
  • 6 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey Stevie

well what you listed may well be exactly the problem. from what i can gather, the play isn't so different at nl10 than it is at nl4, but it is slightly more aggressive i think. and obviously you will be playing with players who have moved up from nl2, nl4 and then to nl10 so they may well be better.

also, playing scared money is a huge leak. if it is scared money, then move down to where you are comfortable. maybe play 1 table of nl10 and a few others of nl4. the main thing to keep in mind is that it is all in your head! you might level yourself thinking villain is 3betting you light because it's nl10 and thats what people start doing, so you 4bet light and then get stacked by the nuts. it happens, just try to think realistically - nl4 and nl10 are very much the same and you don't need to change your game! it will work out much better if you play the same way that you have before and THEN make adjustments after you gain lots of experience there.

SH play is different to fr in so many ways and so if you are having trouble, then maybe move down to nl4 SH and start to gain experience.

variance is inevitable in poker, but i prefer to think that it is down to my own leaks and problems. if i always blame variance then it is never my own fault and i never improve :) always good to stay level headed.

so in short......
      - study and improve and become better
      - work on getting experience and try to think in big blinds instead of $$$
      - again, work on experience and study SH
      - variance?

good luck @ nl10 :)

Lewis.
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      thanks, that was helpful. I currently play only 2 tables once. On second thought I think I've encountered a similar problem when moving from NL2 to NL4 but I dealt with it quickly. I'm only looking forward to improve :s_cool: thanks a lot
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      This is what many players do when they get a sudden boost to their bankroll - they take shots at a higher limit. From one point of view, this is a good sign of your ambition: you want and try to get more. From another point of view, do not forget that this is just "taking shot at a higher limit". Until you haven't settled in and feel comfortable, take it as "I am trying a few games here and if not, I can always come back here later when I feel more ready".

DrDunne pointed out all the crucial aspects, I will add only a few commentaries:
      1) The difference is greater between NL4 and NL10 than the difference between NL2 and NL4. The main reason is the stack size: when I got to NL4, the first day I was a bit more vigilant but in general I was still like "meh, whatever". But when I got to NL10, my heart started a pumping race. When I saw the very first pot going over 5 dollars (which was a rarity on NL4), I thought I need an antidepressant. Though, you get used to it after a few allins... :)
      2) Switching to short-handed and on a higher-limit is maybe a little too much at the same time. Maybe try, like DrDunne recommended, continue playing at NL4 and take 1-2 tables from NL10 FR. When you feel like playing the new limit, you can switch entirely.

Good luck at the tables.
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      well so far I've made profit playing at NL10 (about 1500 hands) but my EV is negative. I can't say I'm on a downswing but I'm aware of the fact that my game and my mindset needs improvement.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Stevie :)

Hope you are well tonight,

In my opinion the biggest problem is probably the switch from Full Ring to Short Handed that you are being forced to make, it's basically a completely new game to learn much more complex. You need to play a lot more hands and you end up in a lot of tough spots post flop that we don't want to find ourselves in until we can develop our game a little more.

Try sticking to Full Ring where possible until you decide you want to move onto playing Short Handed full time. If traffic is low at Full Ring tables where you are now, maybe you might consider moving to another of our partner rooms? where you can find some more action?

All the best
      Carl
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      watch some husng vids and play them one table at a time, you will learn far more and a lot quicker than grinding the nl4 tables,

your better of at nl10 6max atleast because some guys have some idea what they are doing but if your stuggling switching from fr to 6max i would jump to the extreme to the hu sit n gos, they are great for concentrating on ranges and hand reading and you get used to playing very marginal hands in and oop vs all sorts of villians