Understanding NLHE

• adamall
      adamall
      Bronze
      Hey guys welcome to my blog

Quick info

I am 24 living in Australia, I have been playing poker for about 5 years now. I started playing free poker tournaments in pubs here are quickly progressed to playing SNG cash games at friends places.

I really wanted to be better then my friends so I googled Poker Strategy and guess what came up.

I played mostly tournaments and SNG's online with pretty good results. Due to having a full time job it was too hard to put in alot of volume with MTT's, so I switched to cash games.

Since then I have played a fair amout of NLHE grinded up to NL50 and decided I would switch and try to learn Omaha as I truly believe this to be the game of the future. End result I destroyed my BR.

The only game I have really studied is Omaha, I have never really reviewed hands or improved my game I have just played what felt right at the time.

TLDR; Im a NLHE fish

Blog goals

I want to use this blog to track my progress learning NLHE. I never realised how complicated this game actually was until I started reading articles WOW!.

I am going to try to ignore everything I know about poker and start from scratch. I will post my view of what articles/vids I have used and how effective I have found them, of course I will post cool hands and such as well.

I will be playing NL20 on titan and will be moving up using the 25BI BR set out by PS.com

I am unsure as to whether I want to post my BR value here before/after each session, what do you guys think/feel is okay. I am a little bit unsure if I should be posting that information on a public forum.
  • 2 replies
    • adamall
      adamall
      Bronze
      First article I am going to mention is Pleno's thread *Ask me anything about 6max*

After busting my role playing PLO I was a little bit unsure about whether I wanted to go back to playing poker. This thread inspired me to restart my poker career and finally get around to starting a blog.

Rating: 10/10 - If you are a 6max player get over there and read it, then probably read it again, then post and read it again, its amazing.

Most Useful Info: So far I have read this thread twice and atm I have taken the HUD setup, suggested PF range and bet sizing's from there.

I think the HUD is outstanding I have played about 6k hands with the HUD so far and am still adjusting to it but I think it quickly and easily gives you all of the stats you need to get the most out of your pre flop game.

I probably wouldn't recommend the PF range's for everyone they feel a little bit tight to me but I will play them for a while until I can find a solid reason to play more hands. They are giving me a very solid foundation to base my game around and so far it is working well for me.

With the PF raise sizing I have never bet this small on the BTN or CO it feels a bit weird but amazingly I don't think people are calling too much wider at these stakes.

There really is so much information in this thread, and it will take me along time to work all of it into my game, when I get some more time I will contribute to the thread as well, no doubt I will have some questions for sure.
    • adamall
      adamall
      Bronze
      Some hands from yesterdays session

Villain is playing 24/20/17.5 fold to 4bet 20%

When I played this hand against him I think he was playing something like 27/25/28.5 w/ fold to 4bet of 0

He tightened up alot when he got deeper but not before I won a few stacks off him. Yay for run goods.

I have 2 questions

1. Given his stats at time of play (27/25/28.5) do you think this hand is a good hand to make this move with

2. If his stats were 24/20/17.5 F4B 20, do you think I should fold to 5b shove?

IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $22.34 (111.7 bb)
      UTG: $20 (100 bb)
      Hero (MP): $29.08 (145.4 bb)
      CO: $20 (100 bb)
      BTN: $10.09 (50.4 bb)
      SB: $16.92 (84.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T A
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 2 folds, SB calls $0.50, BB raises to $2.80, Hero raises to $7, SB folds, BB raises to $22.34 and is all-in, Hero calls $15.34

Flop: ($45.28) 7 A 3 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($45.28) A (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($45.28) K (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $45.28 pot ($2.26 rake)
      Final Board: 7 A 3 A K
      BB showed K Q and lost (-$22.34 net)
      Hero mucked T A and won $43.02 ($20.68 net)

Little bit of a soul read villain is seems to be a reg.

My thought patter was pretty much, he would have cbet a flush draw (especially on that would c/r river), the only hand he has is 56 and I think he would fold 56o on the turn and cbet 56c on flop.

Thoughts?

IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $22.34 (111.7 bb)
      UTG: $20 (100 bb)
      Hero (MP): $29.08 (145.4 bb)
      CO: $20 (100 bb)
      BTN: $10.09 (50.4 bb)
      SB: $16.92 (84.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T A
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 2 folds, SB calls $0.50, BB raises to $2.80, Hero raises to $7, SB folds, BB raises to $22.34 and is all-in, Hero calls $15.34

Flop: ($45.28) 7 A 3 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($45.28) A (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($45.28) K (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $45.28 pot ($2.26 rake)
      Final Board: 7 A 3 A K
      BB showed K Q and lost (-$22.34 net)
      Hero mucked T A and won $43.02 ($20.68 net)