[NL2-NL10] NL10: J8o OK open?

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players - View hand 1892860
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: $8.09 - VPIP: 37, PFR: 26, 3B: 13(26), AF: 4,3, FoldTocBetFlop: 25(4), Hands: 70
      CO: $11.42 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 14, 3B: 4, AF: 0,9, Hands: 63
      Hero (BTN): $10.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,7, Hands: 68937
      SB: $9.23 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: 2,5, Hands: 80

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with J :spade: 8 :diamond:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.25, 2 folds

The BB is my main concern, of course. I sort of am hesitant to believe that villain is completely crazy with his 3Bets since the sample size is very small and I also can imagine him not wanting to 3Bet all that much after he has 3Bet so often already, however, that is just a guess and it might very well not be true.

Even if he does not 3Bet he seems to call often as well preflop. That does not bother me all that much though, since we have position and a hand that can hit some OK pairs, which I probably can often valuebet vs this guy who may not fold much postflop + there are some dry flops which we can cBet without a hit anyway + catch a pair on later streets because we gain a free card etc. etc. etc..

That said, can this hand be opened in your opinion?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

If he is crazy with 3bets then rather don't open such hands, just waste of money. :)

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      How much tighter would it be OK to raise here, if we assumed that villain might be rather 3Bet-happy? Do we strictly start opening with only such a range that we can continue with vs a 3Bet, including hands with blockers that we can try to 4Bet to see how he adapts? Or do we still open hands that sort of play well when we're getting called, such as JTo, T9s, low PPs, and simply cut out a part of the rather marginal hand range such as J8o, T8o aso.?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      How much tighter would it be OK to raise here, if we assumed that villain might be rather 3Bet-happy? Do we strictly start opening with only such a range that we can continue with vs a 3Bet, including hands with blockers that we can try to 4Bet to see how he adapts? Or do we still open hands that sort of play well when we're getting called, such as JTo, T9s, low PPs, and simply cut out a part of the rather marginal hand range such as J8o, T8o aso.?
      Well, you should also raise it just 2bb instead of 2,5bb that's the first thing what you should do. Which would also allow you to raise such hands as you pointed out.
      Bronze
      Thanks for the tip! Will open for 2BBs with such hands in future.

Though I still would want to return to the previous topic of what my range should look like in this spot vs a guy who 3Bets a lot:
      1) I obviously have to open with a tighter range, but do I necessarily have to cut out of my range such hands that still have good playabilty and potential postflop, if we get called (the guy has a calling range as well)? For example, hands such as JTo, 89s, A4s, 33 etc.?

2) In theory, if we do openraise very tight in this spot because villain 3Bets a lot, do we open for 3BBs or do we still go for 2–2.5BBs because vs 3Betters we should openraise small so that we can call more often and the stack-pot ratio would be bigger on the flop?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) I obviously have to open with a tighter range, but do I necessarily have to cut out of my range such hands that still have good playabilty and potential postflop, if we get called (the guy has a calling range as well)? For example, hands such as JTo, 89s, A4s, 33 etc.?

As I said already, keep it to 2bb then vs maniac 3bettors.

2) In theory, if we do openraise very tight in this spot because villain 3Bets a lot, do we open for 3BBs or do we still go for 2–2.5BBs because vs 3Betters we should openraise small so that we can call more often and the stack-pot ratio would be bigger on the flop?

Well, kinda described above already about that part. :P