[NL2-NL10] NL10: 66 bad cBet vs aggressive guy?

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players - View hand 1892865
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $11.37 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 16, 3B: 9, AF: 1,8, Hands: 489
      Hero (SB): $11.25 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,7, Hands: 68937
      BB: $8.00 - VPIP: 53, PFR: 27, 3B: 0, AF: 8,5, AFq: 80, FoldToCbetFlop: 0(3), RaiseCbetFlop: 100(3), Hands: 51
      CO: $10.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 14, 3B: 3, AF: 1,2, Hands: 384

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with 6 :diamond: 6 :heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.35, BB calls $0.25

Flop: ($0.70) Q :heart: T :spade: 2 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.45, BB raises to $1.20, Hero folds

At the time of play I had not noticed that villain is this aggressive (maybe my HEM2 hand replayer just shows more hands on him now than it did at that particular time).

1) I suppose that unless we are vs a very fit/fold type of guy who calls a wide range preflop, we shouldn't really be cBetting this flop with this hand in general but should try to check it down, right? Here, obviously, it should have been a clear check/fold.
      2) How do I adapt vs this very aggressive guy?

I still guess that I should raise any PP vs him SBvsBB (although I could be convinced that the small ones are better left folded), but I can't really cBet on many flops, can I? I could instead try and bluffcatch (given his aggression it looks like a 3 street bluffcatching most of the time) even with my small pairs on dry boards by check/calling instead of cBetting? Or should I design my range so that it hits TP or at least middle pair type of hands very often (i.e., I leave out small PPs + SCs and instead openraise broadways and always bluffcatch with them multiple streets with a hit until he adapts)?
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Well, you are asking a question which you actually are able to answer yourself. :) How do adapt vs an aggressive player? :) Think a bit and then come back and don't tell me that you really don't know that answer. :P

Though Check/Fold in that spot should be better option than CBetting.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Think a bit and then come back and don't tell me that you really don't know that answer.

I have a difficulty designing a good opening range vs them preflop in this spot, especially given that we are OOP. Well, the problem lies mostly in deciding what to do with low PPs. I mean, what can I expect postflop when I raise my 22–66 here and get called? Villain makes a lot of moves so I can't really cBet all that much on many boards but neither am I a big fan of check/calling with such a vulnerable small pair vs a guy that may even multibarrel often, unless it is a rainbow paired board. It sounds nitty, but maybe I should just fold the low PPs vs him and keep the hands that I can profitably bluffcatch with more often, such as 88+ and broadways that can hit TP. Or is it still too tight because of our implied odds if we hit our set?

I would also imagine that we still can cBet our monsters given that villain has not got a read on us and is still going crazy with his raises? And after cBetting we call unless the board offers many draws, which is when we raise it up?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Or is it still too tight because of our implied odds if we hit our set?

From SB yes, we should be rather folding very low PPs vs a aggressive player who also likes to 3bet, though if not then for the given set mining purpose we can still play it.

I would also imagine that we still can cBet our monsters given that villain has not got a read on us and is still going crazy with his raises? And after cBetting we call unless the board offers many draws, which is when we raise it up?

Of course we can do that but rather TP type of hands you want him to bluff against you as for example Tx or so.