[NL2-NL10] NL10: Q4 light 3Bet vs tight nit

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1893337
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: $11.15 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 20, 3B: 5, AF: 2,3, Hands: 136
      CO: $6.82 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: 2,5, Hands: 80
      BTN: $11.14 - VPIP: 41, PFR: 18, 3B: 8, AF: 2,1, Hands: 78
      SB: $12.41 - VPIP: 13, PFR: 11, 3B: 4, AF: 13,0, AFq: 27, SB_PFR: 12(73), cBetFlop: 73(11), cBetTurn: 50(2), FoldTo3Bet: 90(10), FoldTo3BetFromSB: 100(2), FoldSBtoSteal: 96, FoldBBtoSteal: 84, WTS: 13, W$SD: 50, Hands: 401
      Hero (BB): $10.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,7, Hands: 68937

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with Q :diamond: 4 :club:
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1, 1 fold

So we have a very boring opponent who plays a very boring game :s_frown:

The questions:

1) can I 3Bet him this light (maybe even ATC?) given that he looks like the type of guy who grinds @ a million tables like a robot and just folds all the time to anything scary? We at least have the Q blocker.

2) if I do 3Bet this light, does it not automatically make sense to 3Bet smaller? If yes, then how smaller are we talking about?

3) Can I cold call my strong hands instead of 3Betting them , i.e. cold call with a range of 22+ AJo+, ATs and 3Bet the rest? I can even foresee him not adapting or adapting very badly.
  • 9 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

1) can I 3Bet him this light (maybe even ATC?) given that he looks like the type of guy who grinds @ a million tables like a robot and just folds all the time to anything scary? We at least have the Q blocker.

Well, you can't really 3bet any2 cause the guy at some point also starts to adjust. :) Though we can do it frequently vs his fold to 3bet.

2) if I do 3Bet this light, does it not automatically make sense to 3Bet smaller? If yes, then how smaller are we talking about?

Well, you can't go much smaller than 90 cents. :P Would make you easy to read.

3) Can I cold call my strong hands instead of 3Betting them , i.e. cold call with a range of 22+ AJo+, ATs and 3Bet the rest? I can even foresee him not adapting or adapting very badly.

Well, why not? :) Though low PPs ain't that easy to set-mine vs him unless we assume he is paying us or either has a strong stealing range.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Well, why not? smile Though low PPs ain't that easy to set-mine vs him unless we assume he is paying us or either has a strong stealing range.

Does it make sense in this case to even flat JJ+, given that we are IP?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Well, why not? smile Though low PPs ain't that easy to set-mine vs him unless we assume he is paying us or either has a strong stealing range.

Does it make sense in this case to even flat JJ+, given that we are IP?
      Why would you flat whole JJ+ range vs him? :P
      Bronze
      Because by 3Betting, for example, JJ, I force all the weaker hands out and he continues pretty much with a very strong range that beats my JJ. The value there comes from fold equity, since he folds so often, and that seems like a waste of hand, if I can just call and play postflop IP vs all his range where he is more likely to make a mistake vs my hand. I mean, I don't have to worry about balancing my ranges vs him, at least until I see him adapting, do I?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Because by 3Betting, for example, JJ, I force all the weaker hands out and he continues pretty much with a very strong range that beats my JJ. The value there comes from fold equity, since he folds so often, and that seems like a waste of hand, if I can just call and play postflop IP vs all his range where he is more likely to make a mistake vs my hand. I mean, I don't have to worry about balancing my ranges vs him, at least until I see him adapting, do I?
      Well, JJ/QQ is fine but I don't see why you would want to flat with KK/AA. :) That's what I wanted to point out, don't whole range if you actually don't flat with whole range.
      Bronze
      So I suppose that balancing is what I should be bothered?

But say, I flat AA and somehow the hand gets to showdown and villain sees that I did that with AA, and let's say he takes a note and starts adapting, I can always re-adapt, can I not? E.g., I see that he starts 4Betting me light or calling my 3Bets often out of a sudden because he knows that my 3Betting range is very weak (since I didn't 3Bet AA and he saw it), and I will notice that. Once I do, I can make further adjustments and start 3Betting AA again. + he may even adapt slowly (who knows – if he's gazilliontabling, maybe he will not even notice this for a very long time). Why is such a plan not sound?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      So I suppose that balancing is what I should be bothered?

But say, I flat AA and somehow the hand gets to showdown and villain sees that I did that with AA, and let's say he takes a note and starts adapting, I can always re-adapt, can I not? E.g., I see that he starts 4Betting me light or calling my 3Bets often out of a sudden because he knows that my 3Betting range is very weak (since I didn't 3Bet AA and he saw it), and I will notice that. Once I do, I can make further adjustments and start 3Betting AA again. + he may even adapt slowly (who knows – if he's gazilliontabling, maybe he will not even notice this for a very long time). Why is such a plan not sound?
      You don't need to balance much on those limits...

You are leveling too much yourself, usually you wont really see those situations. Somehow I am pretty sure you level yourself into a lot loose calls postflop as well with such a thinking that everyone is trying to overplay you. :D
      Bronze

Exactly.

So why not 3Bet weak hands only and flat even KK and AA (We are often getting at least value from his flop cBets this way instead of just his preflop openraise since he folds so often)?
      If I had to guess –
      I suppose we loose a lot of value vs AK and QQ, which he might be going broke preflop with.
      And our sample size could still be a bit bigger for us to make such a drastic adjustment to our 3Betting range.
      And we can get outflopped and then we loose money postflop.
      Are these factors important enough to disregard flatting KK and AA as an option here?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black

Exactly.

So why not 3Bet weak hands only and flat even KK and AA (We are often getting at least value from his flop cBets this way instead of just his preflop openraise since he folds so often)?
      If I had to guess –
      I suppose we loose a lot of value vs AK and QQ, which he might be going broke preflop with.
      And our sample size could still be a bit bigger for us to make such a drastic adjustment to our 3Betting range.
      And we can get outflopped and then we loose money postflop.
      Are these factors important enough to disregard flatting KK and AA as an option here?
      :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry: Why would you just flat with your KK/AA here, I don't really get you... Why do you want to give the guy to see a flop and when he maybe pays you only with very strong hands and you at the same time overplay your overpairs.