How to determine the right limit for me?

• Dementophobia
      Dementophobia
      Bronze
      I want to find out which SnG limit is suitable for me. Which approach should I take?

I have been playing 11€ SnGs (5max) quite successfully on a local poker site about 2 years ago. After a break I started again with PokerStrategy at PartyPoker and felt like going after the 11$ SnGs (6max) and tried some 22$ SnGs (6max) as well. I usually play 3 tables simultaneously. At the moment I am down several buy-ins and might need to reconsider the limit I am playing at.

Idea 1 - Play enough games on a certain level and look at the results

I could play 500 (is this enough?) SnGs on 11$ tables and look at my ROI afterwards. If it is above 5% (or is this too low to move up?) I could try 22$ tables and if it is below 0% I should go down to 6$ tables. Rinse and repeat from there on.

Idea 2 - Compare usual requirements at certain tables with my skill set

I play a tight early game, pretty similar to what the Pokerstrategy Beginner Section suggests. I am familiar with ICM in the late game and Nash in Heads up. I still have to use some cheat sheets but this should be a thing of the past soon. Reviews of my SnGs show that I am still making mistakes according to ICM, usually between 1 or 3 wrong decisions each SnG. I am capable of adapting slightly to my opponents if I have the time - playing on 3 tables sometimes requires too much attention to do it properly. I do not use a HUD yet but will look into PT4 next week. I am a calm player and almost never go on tilt.

Is this skill set enough to beat 6max SnGs at the 11$ limit at PartyPoker or is it obvious that I am missing something to gain an edge?

Idea 3 - Simply follow the rules of Bankroll Management

As I have a job besides poker I do not have a real bankroll. But what I could do is treat my initial deposit as my bankroll and follow through with the 2% rule suggested by Pokerstrategy. This is similar to idea 1, but without a strict requirement concerning the amount of SnGs I have to play before I change limits. I simply change the limit when my virtual bankroll allows or forces it.

Other Ideas?

Those are some simple approaches I came up with, but maybe I am missing the obvious. Which approach would you suggest or should I do something totally different? Any suggestions are welcome.
  • 3 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, Dementophobia!

I would suggest you take this approach:

-for now forget what you have played in the past and how you used to beat/not beat the games at that time. Poker is very dynamic and games/players/style of play have changed a lot during the last few years.
      -build a roll only for poker. Nothing else. 50 BIs is not enough, especially if you play turbos in the 11-22$ range. I would go for 100 BIs.
      -500 games is not a sample. You need thousands of games to determine how good you are relatively doing or you can also trust your judgement to see if you have an edge over the field or not. But this could be deceptive and misleading for somebody who doesn't have big experience.
      -watch PS videos, post hands! Both of these are very important.
      -buy Wizard and HoldemManager-if not enough resources- use trial versions and try to get as much as possible from them.
      -increase the number of tables you play at a time- 3 is really not enough. But if you feel very uncomfy- better play less tables rather than masstabling and making huge mistakes. But in general- once again- you need to increase the number of tables.
    • Dementophobia
      Dementophobia
      Bronze
      Hello kurrkabin,

thanks for your input!

Originally posted by kurrkabin-for now forget what you have played in the past and how you used to beat/not beat the games at that time. Poker is very dynamic and games/players/style of play have changed a lot during the last few years.
      Sounds reasonable, but where should I start? I feel comfortable at the 6$ SnGs right now, so I think I will give them a try. Or would you suggest something else?

-build a roll only for poker. Nothing else. 50 BIs is not enough, especially if you play turbos in the 11-22$ range. I would go for 100 BIs.
      OK, this means for me staying at the $6 SnGs until I have built my current roll to 1000$.

-500 games is not a sample. You need thousands of games to determine how good you are relatively doing or you can also trust your judgment to see if you have an edge over the field or not. But this could be deceptive and misleading for somebody who doesn't have big experience.
      I will aim for 2.5k games at the $6 SnGs and see where I stand when I am done with that.

-watch PS videos, post hands! Both of these are very important.
      Watching as many videos as I can right now :) . Posting hands is something I definitely have to start doing.

-buy Wizard and HoldemManager-if not enough resources- use trial versions and try to get as much as possible from them.
      I actually planned to buy Pokertracker. Is HoldemManager a better choice?

-increase the number of tables you play at a time- 3 is really not enough. But if you feel very uncomfy- better play less tables rather than masstabling and making huge mistakes. But in general- once again- you need to increase the number of tables.
      At the moment 3 tables feel about right to me. It is enough action so that I do not get bored (and start playing too loose early on) and still manageable without making stupid blunders. What are the reasons for playing on more tables except for earning more money at the same time? Is the training effect really higher if I play more tables?
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Np, bro : )

- If you feel comfy with 6$- start right there. It's a decent level. You can still add up 500$+ a month depending on volume + no need to start over again on the micros since you have some experience behind.

-good play-make around 3k SnGs and re-evaluate.
      - I can't really tell what's better. I know HEM is a really useful software. I don't think there are so much different.
      -if you feel comfy playing 3- go ahead. The reason of playing more tables is improving your hourly rate. Meaning that you make more money per hour, so you play less to win more. Which is kinda.... cool : )

Good luck and keep us updated, especially if you have any questions. You can also start a blog for some extra motivation.