Difference between NL4 and NL10 on Party

Bronze
      Hi guys,
      I recently moved up from NL4 to NL10 6-max on Party. I am noticing a huge difference in playing style between the two limits.

In NL 4 everyone is so passive and players will go to showdown with pretty much anything! So I basically tried to play well in position and concentrate on my showdown winnings. This worked well and I had enough bankroll(30 BIs) to move up.

In NL10 there is far more 3-betting for starters. It is nearly impossible to play reasonable hands cheaply in position. I have read that the main thing to concentrate on in these limits is showdown winnings. I started out on a good streak but eventually ended up back at 25 BIs and decided to move back down and grind NL4 until I had 30 BIs for NL10 again.

It didnt help that I was down 6.5 BIs in EV for my 8000 hands on NL10 but I'm not complaining.

Has anyone found similar problems?
  • 4 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      well yeah, these things happen when you move up.
      every time the regs (and even the fish) will be more aggressive, preflop aggression will be lighter, postflop aggression will be lighter.

what i'd recommend is to not try to overadapt and think that everyone is bluffing and soulreading you, just play your game which was winning on the previous limit.
      if it works great, if it doesn't (you are breaking even or losing) you will slowly pick on what's going on... and eventually you'll be able to incorporate more aggression yourself, even if you move down you'll probably have some new knowledge which may help you on your previous limit.
      Bronze
      Thanks Tomaloc.
      Some good advice there. I did feel as if I was playing with my hand face up at times the way villains were calling bluffs and raising to put me in tough spots.

I am looking at this new FastForward poker on Party. I think its similar to Zoom and Rush. I think it might be a good idea to get experience in this at a level I'm comfortable in which is NL4. Does HUD work with this does anyone know?
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Last time I checked HUD wasn't working with FF because apparently Party doesn't write the hands fast enough or something -- there was a massive delay when I last tried with HEM. Worth checking out your HUD forums though, I'm sure there will be a post about it.
    • Deomedes
      Deomedes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      well yeah, these things happen when you move up.
      every time the regs (and even the fish) will be more aggressive, preflop aggression will be lighter, postflop aggression will be lighter.

what i'd recommend is to not try to overadapt and think that everyone is bluffing and soulreading you, just play your game which was winning on the previous limit.
      if it works great, if it doesn't (you are breaking even or losing) you will slowly pick on what's going on... and eventually you'll be able to incorporate more aggression yourself, even if you move down you'll probably have some new knowledge which may help you on your previous limit.
      Sound advice!!! If i had asked someone ,like Tomaloc, I wouldn't a waste a month's trying to break-even after some major loses i did on Party's NL10.

I lost a month's playing and too much confidence before i notice, by seperating the stats i had for NL4 and the NL10, that i had become a calling station on NL10. For example I had WTSD 26% on NL4 and AF 2,4 and on NL10 i had WTSD 33% and AF 1,5.

Probably I was feeling getting exploited and was putting the calling down mode way more often.