Spending My Days At 2NL

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Edited: Shortened Introduction
      Hello,

My name is Maythany (real name) and I am 21 years old living in the big city of Toronto, Canada!

I currently play $1.50 9 man STT's and KO's for the time being and I'm looking to move up in stakes in due time.

I'm sure you've seen my posts around the forums offering my opinion on hand posts or of current events.

Maybe some of you guys have played against me and..... no need to say it, I owned you!! :s_cool: :s_cool: :s_evil: :s_evil:

I recently just got back into poker full swing and I've been putting in some good volume as of DECEMBER 12TH 2013.

I currently play 15 tables stacked.

For a very long time I didn't know why I didn't want to play poker and put in the volume necessary to move up in stakes.

Was it because I wasn't motivated? Lost interest in the game? or was it my work schedule?

I only realized the true reason why I didn't play a few weeks ago and it was because I was scared.

I had this fear in my mind that I wasn't going to succeed at my goals in poker so in order to preserve that fantasy(dream), I didn't play poker at all.

A few weeks ago I realized this and since then I've made a promise to myself that I would play poker, put in the volume and finally see once and for all where my place is in the poker world.

My name is Maythany, and I hope you guys enjoy reading my blog.

It will be the notebook of my journey.

Thanks,

MB

Skip to page 3 for the most up to date stuff. Everything from 1 to the ending of page 2 are old stuff.

Skip To Page 8 for the most recent stuff!
  • 276 replies
    • sugalde
      sugalde
      Bronze
      Goodluck with your goal!!

This is a great community to grow your game, Stick to Bankroll management and you'll be fine, Try to watch as many vids and read as much as you can and play as much as you can and you'll see you roll increase, "A marathon" Couldnt agree more, I basically since 2008 have played poker a few months on a few months off, and finally after a really dedicated 2012 I'm starting too see amazing results... Its funny to look back and remember how fishy you are and then see guys on the tables doing fishy things!! Grown and Crush!! Welcome !! I'll look forward to reading your blog.

With a $200 roll, I'd start with 0.50 Cent 45 mans and use them to improve your game thats if you're playing MTT SNG, however if you're just STT then $1.50's will be fine!

Also set a stop loss it will help rather than chase losses which may actually be tilty bad play, sharks will just take your money 4 sure.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze

My graph so far for 6 max 1.50s. This game format is very swingy at times, but I feel like this is my game and I plan to move up to the 3.50s after 1000 games.

Take Care,

MB
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hey MB,

Your graph is certainly going in the right direction. Hopefully with more volume you can move up to the $3.50s soon :)

Keep up the good work!
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

This is just a small update of where I am right now at the $1.50s. I played 50 $1.50 SNG games yesterday (Saturday), and overall I made a profit.

There were some spots I wasn't really proud of and a few bad beats that left me a little bit irritated. After a small break I came back and played a few more SNGs to end the day.

$1.50s is definitely beatable, but be aware that 6 max is a very swingy game, but I am still going to be playing this format because it appeals to me more than any other format being offered at Stars.

I know I have a lot of leaks and my bubble play is horrendous along with bad HU play means my style is very swingy.

So my goals for this Sunday is another 50 games which I'll post and my weekdays goal will be to plug these leaks and watch some 6 max sng videos that I have.

Take Care,

MB

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

So this Sunday I was only able to play about 30 games out of the 50 that I was supposed to play. However, I became involved in a deep 6 max SNG discussion with my skype group and did/watched a few sweat sessions so that was a learning experience.

I lost a few buy-ins during the first 4-5 games so needless to say, my session wasn't going so well already. A few hours pass and I played some more games while watching the grammys and ended the day in the green (profit).

Take Care,

Maythany
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I've been running pretty damn bad over the last 200-250 games. A lot of bad players at the $1.50s with no care in the world about whether they win or lose. You will meet some players who are aware and know the game pretty well, but the majority of the players here are just plain terrible.

Calling all in with k2o at the 50/100 level with 12bb effective or pushing with low pocket pairs with 20BB deep and hitting the set on the flop. I got so frustrated with how much crap I have taken during my sessions I ended up spewing all my profit (and more) which didn't help at all.

I'm an agnostic, but damn I may just start praying.

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      So today I played a total of 20 games and ended the day at a profit of $6.83! I am glad I played today and I did not let the stress and frustration from yesterday affect me at all.

When we're winning, we don't really think too much about our plays. Every ako we get, we win and every pocket pair wins the coin flips. It's only when we are losing does our true character show itself. Are we going to quit? or will we come back tomorrow, start fresh, make time and strive to reach our goals?

There is one thing I learned today and that's if you really wanted to do something then you would make time for it. It doesn't matter if it's working out or playing the guitar, if you want to do it then you will make time for it.

I made time for poker today because I wanted to play poker. I want to be a successful poker player and I know that if I don't act like a child when things aren't going my way when I'm losing then there's a lot of potential for me in the poker world.

Take Care,

MB
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

It's been a long time since I've updated my blog. It's because I've been too busy playing poker and working so I don't really have much time to update this blog or even have 8 hours of sleep.

Well.. what's new? I am pretty confident in my game now and I'm ready to move up to the 3.50s! I am excited to play these new stakes and I am ready to face all adversities that come my way.

Take Care,

Maythany
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Today I played a total of 25 games and ended the session as a whole up $7.27. I started off a bit shaky at first, losing 4 games in a row and then dropping down to -19.05 which was my lowest peak for this session.

But I kept playing and got lucky here and there, but they were +EV spots regardless of what my opponent was holding. I noticed a few differences between the 1.50 and 3.50 games.

For one, the players are better, but that is a advantage to me because I can make plays knowing that the majority of these players here are thinking players.

I'm going to play 1,000 games before I decide to move up to the $7.00 games. I also stopped my coaching sessions with tim64 for the time being because I feel like the lessons I've learned from him can be applied here just as affectively as I did when I played the $1.50.

Take Care,

Maythany
      ***** Hand History for Game 1111111111 ***** (Poker Stars)
      Tourney Hand NL Texas Hold'em - Monday, March 11, 12:50:47 ET 2013
      Table 701890882 1 (Real Money)
      Seat 1 is the button
      Seat 1: Player1 ( 2096 ) - VPIP: 27, PFR: 24, 3B: 9, AF: 3.0, Hands: 66
      Seat 3: Player3 ( 2075 ) - VPIP: 17, PFR: 14, 3B: 4, AF: 2.0, Hands: 310
      Seat 5: Hero ( 4829 ) - VPIP: 25, PFR: 17, 3B: 8, AF: 1.7, Hands: 122313
      Player3 posts small blind [50].
      Hero posts big blind [100].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to Hero [ 9h 7h ]
      Player1 raises [300]
      Player3 folds
      Hero raises [500]
      Player1 folds
      Hero wins 300
      Hero wins 650 from main pot

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
    • zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      Keep your chin up and good luck.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      So I started my grinding session again and I'm playing the 1.50s now rather than the 3.50s because my bankroll is too small for it. 1.50s are easy money because the majority of the players there are so bad that the high rake doesn't really matter at all.

I also started playing in 6 max tournaments at 888 poker. I've cashed in a few and came in second in one of the tournaments. I had QQ pre-flop, we are HU and villain raises 3x. I 3-bet 10k to call and the flop comes 4-6-7 rainbow. He checks, I bet 80% pot, he jammed and I called, he shows top two pair and it holds up to the river.

A little disappointing because I know I can beat him, but not mad at how I played the tournament overall. Earned myself $65.00! I like 888 poker because it's full of recreational players so whenever I play at these microstakes tournaments, I know I have a decent amount of edge against the competition.

Take Care,

MB
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Good luck, will follow your blog !
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      watched Man of Steel yesterday! Amazing movie, I recommend everyone to go see it!

Playing 9 tables now :)
    • zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      Hi Maythany,

I've recently started playing 9 mans on Stars and the BR is creeping up playing the 3.50s. I agree that it can be just as easy at this level because players are better but there are still plenty of bad players too, even at higher levels.

Would you recommend 888 over Stars for these? Looking at making my first deposit on there this week. Are other variants pretty weak too?

Can I also ask, how we're the sessions with Tim64? I'm looking for some coaching myself.

Oh yes, I am also going to watch MOS this weekend.

GL Zach
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

Today I played a total of 84 games and I ended up losing >$50.00 :'(.

I haven't had a losing session like this in a very long time and so many bad beats occurred during those 84 games that I've played lead me to become extremely annoyed/tilting.

It just seemed like no matter what I do or tried to do, I just couldn't dig myself out of the hole. Losing 50/50s, backdoor flushs, people calling my all-ins with with a-x and hitting when I'm the favourite.

I'm just so frustrated right now, and that money is a significant portion of my bankroll too. Sometimes I wonder if it's really all worth it. There are times when I feel like I should just let my pursuit of poker go and focus my time onto other things that will benefit me in the future.

The thing is, will I be proud of myself when I reflect back on my life in the future knowing that I really tried to reach my poker goal? Or will I just be disappointed in myself on how easy I gave up?

Take Care,

MB

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      played an extra 4 games today and ended up winning >$7.00

So my total loss for the day is >$43.00

Take Care,

MB
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Was only able to play 5 games today and ended up winning 2/5 games, but they were first place finishes.

I haven't been sleeping much for the past few days. I think I only got 10 hours of sleep in the last 2 days and today was my day to catch up on some sleep.

I'm feeling pretty good now. I'm over that horrific losing session on Sunday and ready to bounce back.

Got a 1 month subscription to Icmizer and I'll be doing calculations on it like raise/calling a wide 3-bet all-in from the BB when I min raise from the BTN or SB. raise/call a tight 3-bet AI, raise/fold range, calling AI ranges (for me) from a BTN or sb raise (loose vs tight raising range -->resteal range) and many other things.

Take Care,

MB