[NL2-NL10] NL10: AJs Cold Call preflop + float

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1895265
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $21.52 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 11, 3B: 5, AF: 2,0, cBetFlop: 67(12), cBetTurn: 0(3), Raise1stInSB: 14(14), WTS: 38, W$SD: 69, Hands: 301
      Hero (BB): $14.22 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,7, Hands: 69870
      UTG: $10.40 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 14, 3B: 8, AF: 1,0, Hands: 43
      CO: $4.84 - VPIP: 24, PFR: 21, 3B: 10, AF: 2,0, Hands: 71
      BTN: $12.95 - VPIP: 39, PFR: 10, 3B: 11, AF: 5,0, Hands: 31

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with A :club: J :club:
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60) 6 :club: K :spade: 6 :spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.20) 4 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.65, SB folds

The preflop call should make sense as we are doing fine even vs a rather tight SB open range given the odds that we are getting (and his range may very well be even looser since the sample size is small and this already is unrealistically tight, IMO):

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    52.44%  48.35%   4.09% { AcJc }
      MP3    47.56%  43.47%   4.09% { 88+, A9s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KJo+, QJo }

Not sure about the float on the flop though. The sample size is a bit small but still it seems that villain indeed is capable of check/folding on turns after cBetting the flop and thus I went for it with my overcard + potentially live J overcard + backdoor FD. I mean, I have to win the hand 25% of all times given his small cBet + on this board vs his preflop range (and this is a tight preflop range we have assigned) we are getting much more than that:

Board: K:spade: 6:spade: 6:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    36.33%  29.20%   7.13% { AcJc }
      MP3    63.67%  56.54%   7.13% { 88+, A9s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KJo+, QJo }

A part of villain's range dominates our hand and sometimes we hit the ace on the turn and it is therefore not the best hand there is, that is true, but actually we may dominate a part of villain's range as well (although the part that we dominate is not as likely to pay us off all that much). So I suppose this ought to be doable.
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Seems to be fine as long he ha a leak with his 2nd barreling.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      1) Is that considered to be a leak? I mean, cBetting such a flop and giving up turn = bad OOP?

2) Could this move even be doable if we didn't have the backdoor FD?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) Is that considered to be a leak? I mean, cBetting such a flop and giving up turn = bad OOP?

For him? Of course, we have been speaking a lot about that topic. :P Exploitable even for NL2 players.

2) Could this move even be doable if we didn't have the backdoor FD?

Depends again as always. :) His CB, CB turn etc, what sample. But with Ace high it could be possible.
      Bronze
      Depends again as always. His CB, CB turn etc, what sample. But with Ace high it could be possible.

Villain's range seems tight preflop. Can we not run into some problems if we float with a weak Ax hand on the flop? Or does it not bother us because we mainly call because we expect villain to give up on the turn + if we hit our ace, we call once at best (because villain may try to force our PPs out of the hand on this turn card) and are pretty much sure we have a correct fold on the river vs his tripple barrel? Kx or any other weaker hand with showdown value will slow down anyway, so no fear of folding the best hand :f_cool:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Depends again as always. His CB, CB turn etc, what sample. But with Ace high it could be possible.

Villain's range seems tight preflop. Can we not run into some problems if we float with a weak Ax hand on the flop? Or does it not bother us because we mainly call because we expect villain to give up on the turn + if we hit our ace, we call once at best (because villain may try to force our PPs out of the hand on this turn card) and are pretty much sure we have a correct fold on the river vs his tripple barrel? Kx or any other weaker hand with showdown value will slow down anyway, so no fear of folding the best hand :f_cool:
      Well, as I said "IT DEPENDS", always depends on the opponent and according to that we build up our floating range. Or you want me to say that floating with Ax is always wrong? :) Or do you have any specific question, cause your question isn't a question I can answer you.