Turn: ($1.25) A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, BB calls $0.70

River: ($2.65) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.10,
      BB insta-folds

Results: $2.65 pot ($0.12 rake)
      Final Board: 4 3 K A K
      BB mucked and lost (-$1.30 net)
      Hero mucked J T and won $2.53 ($1.23 net)

Flop: perfect flop to cbet when checked to. (Sizing slightly small. I wanted to make it $0.35 but on my phone the slider only goes in 1bb increments, lol.)

When villain check/calls flop, I think he most likely has a medium pocket pair. Obviously KQ-type hands are possible (although if he is decent maybe he would not call dominated hands OOP preflop), perhaps also some A-high with gutshots / backdoors like A5s or AQ. Also AK ofc if he is somewhat passive preflop.

Turn: I think this is a good barrelling card because (i) he shows weakness by checking again; (ii) the A hits my perceived range well; (iii) it's often another overcard to his PP which he check/called the flop with; (iv) I have a little more equity because I picked up a gutshot.

When villain check/calls again, I don't think he can have a medium PP. His range looks a lot more like Ax imo (should he fold KQ here?). I'm still slightly concerned about AK, but actually the turn card makes this less likely because it blocks some more combos.

River: villain can't have a backdoor flush (very unlikely he would check/call on a K43r flop with like QdJd). Also very unlikely he has a full house (AK should have raised earlier, and most villains would donk river for value with the nuts rather than risking a check behind). But this is a very scary board for villain so when he checks to me again I think I can represent a monster and push him off his showdown value type hand. I will lose to a few slowplayed monsters, badly played Kx, or Ax that decides to bluffcatch, but I think he should fold enough hands to make a bluff here profitable.

My usual rule is "a 3-barrel bluff at NL10 is spew", but I thought this was a good spot, so I'm interested whether you think I'm thinking along the right lines.

Thanks guys.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

Don't really see how this can be a good spot to bluff? :D Kx calls you always, Ax calls you also, so what kind of hands do you make to fold which didn't fold the river?

Strongly recommend checking out your 3barrreling line and especially vs unkonwn, could be that you are burning money with it.

Best Regards.