seanspurs87

• seanspurs87
      seanspurs87
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm Sean, I'm 25 and have been playing (real money) poker for about a week. I came across some free time the last week or so and decided to try out some micro limits with a modest bankroll ($25) to see how I got on. First day or 2 I lost about half of that on NL2 and then came across poker strategy and as soon as I started using the hand charts and the articles, all of sudden I stopped losing all the time :D so I figured why not give this beginners course a try. I've since been playing quite a lot on NL2 after increasing my bankroll and was happy enough to move up to NL5 with $60 today and so far so good after 1 session, but now is the time to get some advice! :)
  • 9 replies
    • seanspurs87
      seanspurs87
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I've always had a passing interest in poker and have played the odd mini tournament with friends (winning most of the time of course). I used to watch it on late night TV here in the UK as I've always been a bit of a night creature. Anyways, my friend got me into playing zynga poker and it was fun but not really as fun as playing for money so I've decided to give real money a go, and so far I'm loving it, especially how complex it can be and I'm really looking forward to improving my game.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I have followed the MSS charts quite closely since coming across them and these have helped me realise a lot of what I was doing wrong. When I started off I was using the BSS and my postflop play was pretty weak and definitely needs improving as I'm still not sure what to do on the river with opponents that call on the flop and the turn. I'm not really sure how to read opponents in general, but not sure how important this is on the micros. I would say also that my knowledge of equity is pretty weak.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight means only playing certain profitable hands. Aggressive refers to the betting style, i.e raising a lot more often than calling.

Thank you!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • seanspurs87
      seanspurs87
      Bronze
      Hi, thanks for the reply! I have posted a couple of hands in the forums and the feedback has been great so I will be doing so more often!

I've definitely had the odd tilt moment and it's really strange you don't realise until afterwards that you were calling a reraise on the flop with a middle pair because you were determined to win some money back ;( I have started to use the 3BI rule. It's really good advice because I know I could really end up losing more than I should. The articles and videos are great, but it takes a lot of time to digest the information especially after the flop using BSS, so many possibilities!

Again, thanks for the feedback and to everyone at Pokerstrategy, it's such a great site, keep up the good work! I'll be posting my homework no.2 in due course!
    • seanspurs87
      seanspurs87
      Bronze
      Hello again, here is my homework number 2:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I think I would be more likely to raise after a limper in late-middle or CO position with hands such as Axs or the suited face cards (depending on the opponent of course), mainly because I'll probably have a stronger hand and if he folds I won't be upset (prob not a gd reason lol).

One thing that confuses me with the chart is that against a limper with AQ, AJ, AT in middle position we fold whereas with suited face cards we call. Also with the unsuited face cards we are we not better off calling in late position than in the blinds (blinds less likely to steal and we will be in position)? It also feels a bit limiting to only be able to 3bet with AA, KK, QQ and AK.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      Are there any situations apart from with pocket pairs that it would be favourable to call a raise, especially a min raise?
      I've posted some hand evaluations already:
      NL5 MSS AJs flush draw
      NL2 AJo
      NL2 56o BB
      NL2 AQo
      NL2 AJs
      NL2 AJs TPTK

There are a few AJ hands in there lol

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      Using equilab AKo has 46.32% equity

Thank you
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

About the chart what I can tell you is that main idea of the chart is to teach you basics and how to keep your play in minimum of hands. Cause the more hands you play the more difficult decisions you have to make. Whilst beginners' usually have problems with them and might lose a lot money then it's easier to avoid difficult decisions. Therefore it's also a reason why we might fold some of strong hands. In the future you wont be following the chart anyways and mainly even playing your own game and then might play those hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • seanspurs87
      seanspurs87
      Bronze
      Hello again, thanks for the feedback. I have stopped using the chart now because I'm more confident with my postflop play, but as some of my hand evaluations have shown I've still got a way to go. I've been using the ORC from the silver articles for guidance now and again but I try to play without it. It definitely helps to have a wider range for experience and profit!

It's kind of difficult for me to attend the coaching sessions as they are at bad times for me usually, but I've been watching your beginners course videos and they are great. I really enjoyed the maths one that really helped me and I made my own equity and implied odds calculator (I copied your one :] ). Can you recommend any more videos on the mathematics of poker? Anyways here is my homework number 3:

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Preflop: KsQs 50.78%
      3d3c 49.22%

Postflop: KsQs 26.46%
      3d3c 73.54%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

So on the turn there is $0.91 in the pot and to call we need to pay $0.22 so the pot odds are ~4:1 so a call is just profitable in this situation as the odds of hitting the flush are ~4:1 (9/46). If we include implied odds i.e. that we can assume we will be able to extract value if we hit the flush then a call is most definitely the correct play.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I would like to ask what is a good average for a cbet on the turn. I'm often unsure about my turn play after a villain calls and I still have say TP on the turn. Are these situations better played bet/fold (obviously depending on the opponent and board) or check/call. And is it always the case on lower limits that if I pure bluff cbet on the turn OOP say with overcards and i still have 2 overcards on the turn that I should give up the hand?

Here some hand evaluations I posted recently, I'll post some more soon!

NL2 JTo 2pair vs check raise
      NL2 AJo vs min-raise 3bet
      Nl2 77
      Nl2 Qq
      NL2 A8s CO

Thank you!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Sorry for delayed answer, I have been moving to new country so it did take me to set up everything at my place, now I am back and starting to evaluate the homeworks.

Good job! Homework #3 Done!

Hard to recommend you any videos of math, cause math is still more advanced stuff. Start with odds/implied odds etc and then continue with more advanced stuff.

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

I would like to ask what is a good average for a cbet on the turn. I'm often unsure about my turn play after a villain calls and I still have say TP on the turn.

Depends on your style, how often you CB flop etc. It may vary with huge gap. There is simply no basic number to follow, if you want some of your stats analyzed then post them and we can take a look. :)

And is it always the case on lower limits that if I pure bluff cbet on the turn OOP say with overcards and i still have 2 overcards on the turn that I should give up the hand?

I don't get your question? Pure bluff on the turn and then give up the turn? You mean the river? Depends of course, sometimes we might even 3barrel if we assume to have fold equity.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • seanspurs87
      seanspurs87
      Bronze
      Hello again, been a while since my last homework. Haven't always been the best with homework, even with deadlines I''m pretty rubbish :D . Anyways here is my homework no.4:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

NL10 SH 88

Hope that's ok

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members

NL2 A8o

It was weird evaluating someone else's hand, I don't really feel experienced enough, but I'm happy with my first try :D

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Not sure whether I'm allowed to use equilab here or not so I'll give my estimation and then I'll do equilab results.

My guess would be about 46:54 in favour of 77 as we have 12 outs to improve our hand and villain has 2 and has the better hand now.

Here's what I got from equilab:

7c7h: 58.59%
      KsQd: 41:41%

So I wasn't too far off :f_cool:

Thanks again for all the feedback and help, hope you're settling in well in your new country.

Cheers
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.