Dandiiik

• Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Bronze
      Greetings everybody,

My name is Daniel and today I have discovered the opportunity to attend the Beginners´ Course. I am from the Czech republic.

I am not a total beginner to poker but I still feel like one because I have tried to play poker profitably two times already and I failed. I am not really sure what were the main reasons for that but I believe that this is one of the question to be answered in lesson 1 as my homework. Anyway I have some tips right now: poor resistance to tilt, being irrespondible as for studying and playing too many tables at once.

However I would like to fix that and I am ready to start all over again as a complete beginner and keep learning and playing in a responsible way !!!

I will start with lesson one as soon as possible. Probably today yet. Recently I have been confronted with a problem that I failed to send the money to my account at PartyPoker (it can happen to me only :D ). There was a problem with the reference number and stuff, long story. Anyway I have been trying to figure it out with the help of PP support. They promised me to find my money. Let´s hope this problem will be done soon because now I cannot play.

My main goal is to become a good cash game player (I don´t like tournaments). My particular goal then would be to reach NL10 by X-mas.

I hope I fulfilled the first task to create my own Beginners´ Course thread and now I can start learning BSS with the help of all the lessons one by one.
  • 12 replies
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Bronze
      So I went through the first lesson. I read the articles but I do know the rules of poker, I know what the BSS is all about and I know what features PS offers. So I really didnt read it in detail. It was more like a repetition. As for the video I saw the whole deal. I also watched the previous lesson 1 coaching with veriz. And this time in detail. I was watching what hole cards he got and before he said something I tried to decide what to do with them and what is the plan for next streets. Then I compared my decisions with veriz´s advice and tried to understand why I was wrong if so.

Eventually I made it to the homework:

1) Well I will be honest with you now. I would like to be a successful cash game player. My main motivation is to earn some extra money and shut the mouth up to all who doubt poker to be a skill game. Then I have this dream in my mind that one day I will buy a laptop and say to my friends and relatives that I earned money for it in poker. I know it doesn´t sound right but what should I do. I just feel it that way. And there is also the aspect that I enjoy playing poker very much. I also play multiplayer games like Call of Duty or GTA but I feel, that these games give you nothing! I just play it because I can chat with my friends on TeamSpeak and it is just fun. :) On the other hand poker, besides money, can develop your analytical thinking and streghten your will and maybe improve your learning skills because you need to learn poker theory in order to master all the techniques. And I believe there are some more benefits of playing poker which I cant figure out in the moment. I said I enjoyed playing poker which is true but if you play poker all the time in order to become a profitable player it stops being fun and starts being much more about discipline and strong will. So this is what I want: to prove myself that I can be one of those with discipline and strong will. Eventually earn money for laptop :)

2) Well I played poker in the past for some time so now I can easily analyze my weaknesses. First of all I have hard times facing aggression. The result of this is that I fold too much. But this might be fixed by studying and concentrating more. My big mistake also was that I started playing too many tables at once without mastering the so called common decisions. Then I didn´t have enough time to think about next moves and I made stupid mistakes. And finally tilting was no unknown for me. I tend to be very nervous and play irresponsible when I get badbeat or when I am on a downswing. I just have to learn and understand that this is part of the game and I cannot avoid it. Just set some stop loss limit and play my A-game. That´s it.

3) When I play tight aggressive style I do select the hole cards I wanna play with. I don´t want to see showdown everytime and my decisons are based on the type of player playing against me. I don´t play very often, let´s say 15% of the holecards but when I do I try to take initiative and play in an aggressive way. The position is also very important to me. The later position the wider range I use to open the game. When I don´t play I try to observe others and try to figure out what kind of players they are. Then I try to isolate with the weak ones. There are several types of weak players and I use the PS article about these types to choose the most appropriate approach to each and every type.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Somehow gamers are having an edge for poker cause they are able to play for longer time. I guess the same if for you and I hope you will do big progress with it. Seems that you are already taking it very seriously. :)

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Bronze
      Hello again. Thank you very much for such a great response, veriz. It is very motivating for me that someone who is excellent at poker finds some time to write such a long reply in response to my post. :)

Anyway I made it through the lesson 2. I read all the articles very carefully. The articles about types of players, odss and outs and crushing NL50 by Hasenbraten are just great. In my opinion a detailed understanding of them increases your winrate rapidly. So with that in my mind I read all of them really carefully. I also enjoyed all the videos.

Meanwhile I reached the silver status :)

My homework:

1) Well I do play some of my hole cards differently then I should according to the SHC but I am not sure if I can figure out all of them now.

:club: First of all I raise pocket pairs in all positions including UTG+1 (when I am first to enter the game). I have learnt that it is very +EV as you can win the pot more ways than just simply hit your set. You can collect it before the flop, you can win by continuation bet on the flop as well as you can win the whole stack if you hit your set. The oponents will have hard time believe that you have a set thus your hand is very difficult to be read correctly.

:club: I do not play QQ and AK according to the SHC at all. I use HUD therefore I can recognise the type of player I am facing and optimize playing of those hole cards. I usually do not 3bet them against a raise of a tight player. I dont want to be isolated against a narrow range in case of all in preflop. Then I try to play the hands postflop which is very simple against a tight player (on NL2 I mean). Of course I want to stack off myself preflop with QQ and AK against maniacs and LAGs. Sadly this case hasnt happened yet.

:club: And finally AQ, AJ and AT. These hands should not be together in the SHC in my opinion. They are very different and I play them the way I believe is right in particular situations. I consider my oponent, if my hand is suited, what happened so far (who joined the game) and what reaction I expect from players behind me. Then I decide. When I get one of these hands I do not look in SHC.

:club: I might say that all other hands I play according to the SHC. But for example small suited connectors I call raise preflop (if its a min raise or several players called before me or some stations are behind me). I play fit or fold then. Either I hit and try to put all my money in the pot or I give up. Sth like setminig.

2) Actually I dont have any questions about playing preflop. I believe that I play preflop very well. What bothers me much more is the play postflop. But this issue will be topic of some of the next lessons. My hand I posted to HJ forum is here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=208611. Anyway I am going to post my hands to the HJ forum of the czech community as I am member of it :)

3) The equity of AKo against a 5% range is 46.32%. I calculated it with the help of Equilab of course. I use it during every session but mainly after the session so it would help me analyse my play. Very powerful tool :s_cool:

And I believe that´s it as for the lesson number 2. I am looking forward to going through lesson 3. I am going to improve my post flop play there which is crucial in increasing my winrate. I also do find it my main leak overall. But I will do everything to fix it.
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Bronze
      Hi again.

I went through the lesson 3 and my homeworks follows:

0) Did that long time ago.

1) The equity of KQs is 50.78% against pocket 3s. It´s basically coinflip and KQs is slightly ahead because of the possibilities of flush and straight. If the hole card were KQo, then pocket 3s would be ahead. On the flop the equity of KQs decreases to 26.46%. The outs that KQs has are remaining spades except 5 of spades, which would make a fullhouse to pocket 3s. That´s why the equity decreases so rapidly.

2) This is kinda tough spot for me. On the turn I hit nut flush draw, gutshot and two overcards. However, according to the oponents line I would expect him to have something strong. He called preflop and checked flop. He could have called with almost anything like small pocket pairs, low connectors or maybe one gappers. Either he had set or 2 pair on the flop already or made straight on the turn. Therefore I would exclude A, J and gutshot from my outs. That gives me 9 outs for nut flush. Minus 6 and 3 which would make him fullhouse. That gives me 7 outs. Odds are then 7/48=1:7. Pot odds are like 1:4.5 or sth. Therefore I fold. Also I would consider my steps according to the type of oponent. But against an unknown on NL2 I dont expect many bluffs and from my experience, min-raise means monster. One more reason to fold.

3) NL2 AKo, FR

Thats it for lesson 3. Lesson 4, here I come :s_biggrin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Have heard only good words about hasenbraten videos, though sad that he ain't anymore with us. :( Lets hope to see him one day again around us and saying hi. :P

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them (except of course KK/AA strong hands :D ). You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that. Although the problem with playing them, especially from EP if you playing FR is the case that you wont always play them profitable and very low ones I would even advice to fold as 22-55 and raise it up like 66-77+.

But otherwise seems like you have a really good strategy which is should be working now. It's very important to pay attention into those things, if you are also more advanced players you start to adjust according the opponent. Either tighten up or loosen up, whatever is needed and the same even for going broke as you wrote.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Bronze
      Hi again. Thank you again for such a great reply. I am glad my first 3 homeworks are done and correct. Here is my impression from the lesson 4 and the following homework.

First of all, I enjoyed the fourth lesson. I didnt really learn anything new, but I repeated all of the topics very carefully so I would get it deeper in my mind and use it in the future with confidence. As we in the Czech republic say: repetition is the mother of wisdom. I hope you would understand :f_biggrin: But what I really enjoyed was veriz´s coaching record. So much good advice in hour and a half. The main thing I took from it was that I have to be active on the hand evaluation forum as much as possible. I learned that it is crucial for our winrate and is considered to be one the most important aspects of our learning path :]

Anyway the homework:

1) Nl2 88, Fr

2) Nl2 AKo

3)
      Board: 8hJs9c
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% { 7h7c }

I hope this lesson is done and I can start with the lesson 5 :f_cool:
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Bronze
      So lesson 5 behind me.

I mainly enjoyed the Crushing NL50 (first two episodes). This appears to be a very good extending material to the basic articles. Homework follows:

1) A hand where I based my decisions on my opponents stats: Nl2 88, Fr

2) Other member´s hand evaluated by me: 2NL AQo

3) Well both these spots aren´t simple at all but here are my thoughts:

a) First of all I myself would cbet the flop. I am IP and the opponents aren´t very fishy and I have practically what I wanted to hit. So why check. They could have trips or the ten they would like to stay in the hand with. On the turn it is definitely raise to me because the betting villain could have hit the J or two pair with TJ or even flush draw with a pair. So he wants to protect his hand and I dont want him to see free R. The second villain just calls so it could be a pair of Js or flush draw as well. If I raise I would gain further information. They probably would not call me with air but pair with flush draw is probable. If I get raised I can fold easily. I might face full house or higher flush. The action on the R would depend on the action before me. I f he donked I probably would called to get value from trips or two pair. I wouldnt raise because I would have to fold to 3bet and they wouldnt call me with weaker hand probably. If they checked I would bet for value.

b) This is kinda tricky situation as well. I dont like calling 3bet OOP. Even the call 20 rule is not met there and JJ is not good enough here to 4bet/call. So preflop fold to me. On the flop I would probably check/call and wait for the T. On a blank turn I would check/call as well since he is aggressive and is likely to bluff. But on the river it would depend on the remaining stacks, the size of the bet.

But I am really not sure about these spots. I hope my answers are satisfactory and I can move on to lesson 6 :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Sorry for delayed answer, I have been moving to new country so it did take me to set up everything at my place, now I am back and starting to evaluate the homeworks.

Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the Course.
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Bronze
      Hello, been a while but I havent stopped learning poker. But I kinda forgot about the Beginners course :f_eek: . I am ashamed but I have to justify myself because my most activities are directed to the czech community and therefore I just forgot about it. Enough jibber jabber, here is my homework number 6:

1) NL2 23s, FR

2) nl10 AQo

3) Another tough spot here. I would definitely try to collect the pot right on the flop. I would have initiative on the T and the play would be better for me. Anyway since hero just checked the flop the situation is way different now. He got two pair but this is an unraised pot and sometimes two pair doesnt simply have to be the best hand here. Another problem is that hero is facing a calling station who is now leading into 3 players when a card that can create a straight comes. Fold is definitely out of the question, since the hand is too strong for that and hero has even some outs. Raising would be overplayed according to the facts above. So the best play in my opinion would be just to call and see what river brings.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course.