[NL2-NL10] NL50 SSS 88 vs calling station

• mrjorisa
      Known players:

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.50 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8:heart: , 8:diamond:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, SB folds, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) 5:club: , 2:spade: , T:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $2.50, Hero raises to $7.50, BB calls $5.00.

Turn: ($19.25) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $14.35 (All-In), BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $19.25

I had a relative medium stack as I just doubled up the previous hand and got dealt this immediately.
      Villain was a bit of a calling station, having just paid off rockets with pocket 3s a few hands back and bad beating me with pocket 4s calling all the way to river and hitting his trips. Comments?
  • 5 replies
    • DeKuip
      His donkbet on the flop is kinda strange.
      You say he's a calling station, I would be extra careful when a calling station starts betting OOP.

Normally the flop is an easy fold, since there is an overcard on the board or he could have flopped a set here.

But ok, you thought he was holding air, so you decide to raise his bet and you get called.

His check on the turn is extremely weak, but it could be a slowplay as well.
      So I definitely wouldn't have gone all-in.
      However, you say you had a read on him, I can't say anything about that.

I would have folded on the flop and wait for a better spot.

One more thing: Why would you bet with such a hand on a drawy board against a calling station, I don't think you want him to call right now, do you?
      Hello mrjorisa,

after doubling up our play change a bit. It's not a "go all-in as soon as possible" game now, since you have twice as big stack to loose. Especially you shouldn't apply this play with 88.

You say your oponent was a calling station. If your read is true, his donkbet on the flop must indicate absolute nuts, like a set. I'm afraid such a behaviour must lead us to fold. We have too much to invest, the board already has an overcard to our pair.

I can say that against normal unknown oponent with the stack of 20bb's the board allows to raise all-in his donkbet. But I wouldn't risk it in such a situation.
    • mrjorisa
      I figured I played the hand wrongly after thinking back about it and decided to post it up here. I didn't put him on a hand (prob ace medium kicker) and thus decided to push him off. I guess i got lucky and escaped with my stack still intact :)
    • xylere
      well. normally, i don't respect donk bets from loose passives
      but just fold flop, unless you have reads

as played, turn is totally fine
      you have to follow up with aggression and push
    • dallievas
      I`m a bit late,but... this is not basic sss hand but I like it because it was based not on ``I wanted and I pushed`` but on reads about opp.Yeah if you reraised him on flop you should continue aggression on turn taking risk of c/r ,c/c.And of course you understand that such play makes more dispersion in your longterm game.
      You are playing NL 50 so would be very nice if you present opps stats next time.
      Good luck. :)