[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL50 A7s

• duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Prima No-Limit Hold'em, €0.50 BB (5 handed)

Button (€62)
      SB (€50)
      BB (€51)
      Hero (UTG) (€87.47)
      MP (€46.69)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7, A
      Hero bets €1.50, MP calls €1.50, 2 folds, BB calls €1

Flop: (€4.75) 7, 4, 9 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets €3, MP calls €3, 1 fold

Turn: (€10.75) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets €7, MP raises €14, Hero folds

Total pot: €24.75

Anon table.

BB 21/11
      MP 34/22

Preflop fold would also be fine... :)
      Flop/turn? Bet flop, ch/fold turn would be a better line here?
  • 7 replies
    • PokerPro
      PokerPro
      Bronze
      Hey pcfmcc02,

I would not openraise A7s without big fishs in the blinds. I just cannot believe we can win a bullion. Even if the MP calls often we play OOP with a hand which folds not good the most time.

The flop is really ugly for us. Flushdraws have 50% equity against us. 9x beats us. 88,TT,JJ,44,77 beats us. Furthemore I can imagine villian calls many hands, overcards +backdoor draws and something like that.
      I dont know how often villian calls on the flop IP as a float and how to proceed on the turn if villian calls.

So I would simply check/fold the flop. Especially it is 3 handed. What do you think what is our equity on this flop against these 2 guys?

As played. I think check/call is better than bet/fold because you make him bet his floats which just fold the turn. But I really have not good idea how to proceed the turn.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      preflop:

Hmm I don't necessarily think A7s is a bad/good open raise. I tend to raise all AXs in all positions on most tables but this may be a leak with tough players behind me. I recently started folding some of these hands given certain table dynamics.

I doubt this is ever the case in NL50 anonymous tables so as long as you think you are one of the stronger players in your limits it seems fine.

Flop:

Probably betting is fine. None of our options seem good so I take the least bad option.

Turn: You don't achieve anything by betting the Turn - Never bluffing better, never gaining value from worse. Just check and either c/c if you think he has many draws in his range still (and taking into account river play as well) and c/f if you think he has a 9 or some overpair more often than not.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello pcfmcc02,

Preflop: Don't really like to raise those hands, especially if you rather have problems postflop with it. Very often dominated and neither it can't hit much and the only target we are focusing on is a flush. If you want to start to open those type of hands then first do A5s/A4s and then reevaluate further actions accordingly how you earn profit with them. They at least have the connectivity for straight as well.

As played
      Flop: Betting the flop is still fine cause we may easily even protect our hand and will be difficult to Check/Call for us. If we go for Check on the flop then we should also plan to give it up.
      Turn: Though I don't like betting the turn either cause you are not going to get called from worse and 9x is possible from his range and any other PPs which are better ain't folding either. Nor FDs or draws ain't paying you. I'd also be rather more often willing to Check here as I would do the same with non-made hand.

Best Regards.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      How should we play the turn? Check/call or check/fold?
      I know you will answer with the big 'it depends' picture :P but can you maybe say when to check/Call (which stats are we looking for) and when to check/fold? And what to do without any info...

Tnx man :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      How should we play the turn? Check/call or check/fold?
      I know you will answer with the big 'it depends' picture :P but can you maybe say when to check/Call (which stats are we looking for) and when to check/fold? And what to do without any info...

Tnx man :)
      You don't have that much stats on anon. tables, so it will depend on the dynamics we had with him. Nor I don't really see why we should be Check/Calling the turn cause it would make our hand face up whilst we almost always 2nd barrel even with draws.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      So you're actually giving up the hand.. Is that correct? It just seems weak to me cause we have all other 7x beat and A LOT of draws also. Overpairs will most likely 3bet pre so I think there are just too many hands which are worse than ours to justify a check/fold.
      The chance that he checks behind turn and river is just very small.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      So you're actually giving up the hand.. Is that correct? It just seems weak to me cause we have all other 7x beat and A LOT of draws also. Overpairs will most likely 3bet pre so I think there are just too many hands which are worse than ours to justify a check/fold.
      The chance that he checks behind turn and river is just very small.
      Again you putting him on a range which almost always does the same. Why can't he have there overpairs? There are tons of guys who play passively overpairs vs UTG range.

And what you going to achieve with the turn-bet, practically you are turning your hand into bluff cause you just wont really get called from a lot worse there. So rather just at the best vs FD.