big leak

• Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      I think I have a huge psychological leak in my game and I'm trying to find solutions. It's about my bankroll... I think too much about my bankroll when playing and I constantly check it after I lose a big pot. Even if I play well this might lead to other problems like playing scare money after losing a lot in one session or simply losing focus of the game itself.
  • 7 replies
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Yeah happens to me too. What I doscovered was that if I know i'm losing and I check how much I'm losing in the middle of the session, I'm almost never able to comeback in that session, however if I don't check my total at all during a session then I'm able to handle swings better.

So i just kinds force myself to not open HM2 to check my session results while playing. One more thing that helped me a bit was knowing the kinda risk I take when playing a certain stake.

Plug in some numbers here and see actually with a decent bankroll how little the risk of ruin is. Might help to know that your risk of ruin is around (1-3)% most of the time and that might help you be more at peace when playing a session.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Stevie8.

First off, don't worry too much this is a pretty common thing, or at least i've seen it quite a lot and even done it myself. Now how to fix it? Let me ask you, what kind of bankroll management do you use? Lets use NL10 as an example if you are playing NL10 with $100 in your account (10 BI's) this isn't much so everytime you lose some you are more likely to check your balance compared to if you play with $300 or even $500 in your account (or in an ewallet ready to be used if you don't like to keep all your bankroll online) the more buy-ins you have for the next level before you move up, the more comfortable you will feel.

The next thing you should do is read the thread that i'm about to link you to. Jared Tendler is highly respected throughout the world of poker as being one of the best if not THE best mental/mindset coach there is. He's released a number of books and is answering questions on all things like this in this thread:

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++

Jared and co-author Barry Carter are still answering questions regularly so have a read through it see if any of it applies to you, if not then feel free to ask a question :)

Have a nice Friday evening
      Carl
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Thank you for the link.
      As for the bankroll management I play NL10 with a bankroll of 380 $. It's pretty secure .
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      It is pretty safe yeh but something is making you worry about the $$ maybe it would be better for you to play with a more conservative bankroll so you don't worry about these things? You need to try and think in terms of BB's or BI's so instead of $380 you have 38 BIs and if you lose a stack you're not losing $10 you are losing 1 BI.

It's just a small change in the way you think but it can make a huge difference to your attitude. This make sense?
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Yes it does, and I do think in terms of BI and BB, that's not the problem. Only the fact that I used to constantly check my bankroll. But the more I play the more I get rid of it thank you :s_biggrin:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Stevie8
      But the more I play the more I get rid of it thank you :s_biggrin:
      Keep playing then bro :f_cool: did you read the Jared Tendler thread then? If so what did you think to it? was it helpful to you? Did you take away some useful knowledge? :)
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      "Leatherass" (Dusty Schmidt) in his poker book "Treat poker like a business" is talking about x100 bankroll management.I know it s a lot.
      But check this out:he never see his bankroll for a whole month ! That's a lot too.

So even when you are not playing your A game your psychology runs good because you don t have the correct impression on how much you loose.And you try everytime to play your best.And if you play bad you will not have a big downswing because of the bankroll safety.

If you increase your BM you will have better results.Let s say you have 300$ and decided one day to play nl2 or nl5.You will see yourself playing a lot better because you don't care about bankroll but only to win the game.

When i play i try not to see my bankroll for a whole session.

IMO.