Playing the Big Blind

• 4 replies
    • idiopatic
      everybody is doing bad in the bb. the point is to loose less money. steal more in late position to compensate i guess
    • ExternalUseOnly
      Hey prime333

Yeh as said, we generally are always losing money from the blinds. You don't want to play many hands from the blinds because you will find yourself having to make tough plays post flop. If someone is stealing a lot from late position though you can try raising them and see if you get a fold then repeat this process until guy from late position starts to play back at you again.

Remember position is super important so don't just call too many hands from the bb just to see the flop because you already have money in the pot already

All the best
    • DrDunne
      Hello prime333

The BB is actually a better position to be in than the SB because you have relative position to the SB. Obviously you are OOP to anybody else who enters the pot which does suck.

Maybe the problem is you are getting involved in pots because you feel that you "get good odds" or you've "already invested some money". This is not a good way of looking at it however, because the money you have already posted is no longer yours - which means it isn't a good idea to find a way to justify playing an extremely marginal hand OOP. Which brings us to the next point of planning for postflop play - If someone other than SB has entered the pot, you will be OOP postflop. That means you should plan your hands accordingly and choose a much stronger range of hands to play.

Originally posted by idiopatic
      everybody is doing bad in the bb. the point is to loose less money. steal more in late position to compensate i guess
      this is very true. generally, losses from the big blind can be anywhere from 30bb/100 (I'm not sure of the PT equivalent) hands to 50bb/100 hands or more (which is most likely a leak or a small sample). If you folded your BB every orbit, you lose 100bb/100 and so you should see your goal as to lose less money.

• Maloco87
      I think you have to fold a lot from the BB but resteal from a late postion raiser every now and then with face cards, suited connecters and Ax hands just to keep those raisers in line then sometimes you will be able to check your BB and see a free flop