[NL2-NL10] NL10: JJ bluffcatch vs TAG

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1900947
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: $10.58 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 17, 3B: 0, AF: 1,8, Hands: 124
      Hero (UTG): $10.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,7, Hands: 72374
      MP: $9.34 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 10, 3B: 5, AF: 1,7, Hands: 80
      CO: $11.54 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 13, 3B: 7, AF: 3,3, AFq: 37, CallOpen: 11(70), FoldTocBetFlop: 0(3), Hands: 257
      BTN: $3.20 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 15, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, Hands: 13
      SB: $10.05 - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, Hands: 2

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with J :spade: J :diamond:
      Hero raises to $0.30, 1 fold, CO calls $0.30, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.75) 8 :diamond: 8 :heart: A :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.54, Hero calls $0.54

Turn: ($1.83) 4 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($1.83) Q :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

This ought to be well played. There is almost no value from worse hands + villain can still be betting his small PPs on the flop hoping to take it down.
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Seems to be fine, though also another option would be to CB it and avoid him hitting some overcards.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      1) But then we pretty much check/fold the turn, is that not right?
      2) Do we expect to get called by worse PPs on the flop when we bet, or is the sole purpose of the bet the elimination of the possibility of him catching an overcard on further streets?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) But then we pretty much check/fold the turn, is that not right?

Well, that depends a lot. On a dry board might also a possibility to CB the flop to avoid turning it into bluff-catcher. If we assume the guy being passive then can also be played this way cause doubt that he is going to bet 2x that often with pure air.

2) Do we expect to get called by worse PPs on the flop when we bet, or is the sole purpose of the bet the elimination of the possibility of him catching an overcard on further streets?

It depends as always in poker. :P Don't you think? :D
      Bronze
      I am just a bit worried about this being a UTG vs tight CO situation. If I bet I represent the Ace a bit too well for my bet to get called by worse that often, unless the opponent is not that great and still calls with 99, or even 88 there (which still does not mean that much value for us + I think it is somewhat rarely the case).

If I check, however, I can still have something like AJ or ATs in my perceived range, and he can never really be that sure I will fold my hand to 3 barrels (I, of course would, but if I were in his shoes I most likely wouldn't really be that sure about how often I can get my opponent to fold a weak Ace there).

COvs a loose BU would be much different though and then, I guess, betting is indeed better.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I am just a bit worried about this being a UTG vs tight CO situation. If I bet I represent the Ace a bit too well for my bet to get called by worse that often, unless the opponent is not that great and still calls with 99, or even 88 there (which still does not mean that much value for us + I think it is somewhat rarely the case).

If I check, however, I can still have something like AJ or ATs in my perceived range, and he can never really be that sure I will fold my hand to 3 barrels (I, of course would, but if I were in his shoes I most likely wouldn't really be that sure about how often I can get my opponent to fold a weak Ace there).

COvs a loose BU would be much different though and then, I guess, betting is indeed better.
      Any specific question? :) Cause the part you are commenting can be viewed in many views as everything in poker.