The peaceful shark

• mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      04 oct 2012
      A new country a new chance!
      Little update: I started this blog 16 sep last mouth. Thoth it was good idea but the problem was that I have studied for the past 20 days and not played much. So I will go to India and join a Yoga school and I will try again to play poker not just study it :f_p:
      ---------------------------------------------------

After reading this article about motivation I realized what my problem is. I feel that I should learn more, and that I'm not ready to play.

But that is not true!

I know that the only way I will learn poker is to practice what I learn. I need to play, learn, play, learn...

Today I have studied poker for six hour, reading every basic article in Psychology & Didactics and making intensive note-taking. Will probably finish all the bronze articles this week.

And I found the problem!

My only motivation is to study and not play. I have no habit to play, but I have a extremely strong habit to learn, which make it very easy to study but really hard for me to play poker. I force myself to read books when I was 14. And I established a habit to read for one hour every day. Now this habit have evolved to study for three hour every day. I rather study than watch tv. I really feel joy when I study and I have tooled myself that I need to learn more before I sit down at the tables. But the problem is that I have to much information after reading three books and read many articles on PS and only played <1000 hands. All the information is contradicting itself in my head and I can't make any sens of it.

So I will start from the beginning and do as I should have done from the start, instead for playing the smart guy and thinking that if I only learn, I could play on tables with total knowledge and not needing any "start hand chart".

It's time to make a plan!

So why do I want to play poker?
      I want to play because I want to continue to travel the world and not needing to take a normal job. Next year this time I will go back to Sweden to start a company that have the sole goal to "Build the First Floating Metropolis".But to continue to travel, I need to earn around $50 per day or $1500 per mouth. I see that the easiest way to do that is to grind low-limit.

Okey now we know that - how will I achieve it?

I know that the best way to learn something new is to learn little and repeat the information over, and over again. So I will begin all over again and do it the right way this time.

1. I will chose a topic to learn.
      2. Play 3000 hands will focusing on the topic. It's around teen hour of practice. (80hands/hour - 80hands * 4tables = 320)
      3. Do a session review and focus on the topic.
      4. If the session review shows good play, go on to the next topic. If not, repeat the topic.

But I also need to protect myself against tilt so I have made a checklist to get myself into the right state of mind before playing. This is the checklist. please comment if you have a idea how to improve it!

My checklist
      tired?
      hungry?
      on drogs?

DON'T PLAY, FIX IT FIRST

Non of the above, continue:
      1. Stretch for five minutes to get the blood flowing.
      2. Go on the WC.
      3. Get a bottle of water.
      4. Close down all programs.
      5. Start Pokertracker
      6. Start Keypoker
      7. Start Spotify and play music
      8. Start poker client
      9. Open four tables
      10. Play for 90 min and sit-out from all tables.
      11. Do breathing exercise in 10 min and reset your stop-limit if needed.
      12. Continue to play for 90 min.
      13. Write in the dairy how this session felt like.
      14. Do something fun...

No I have a plan and a checklist.

Stop-limit
      So I will set the stop limit to 5 buy-ins and 2 buy-ins per table. To make it easy for me I will take 10 coins and for every half buy-in I lose I will move the coin to a other place. When the run out I need to stop playing.

Reset limit
      I will reset the limit every 90 min after my breathing exercise. I will reset the limit to 5 buy-ins from the winning point after 90 min. If I have a losing 90 min I will not reset. I do not reset the table buy-in limit.

0 - 3000 hands (Start-hand-chart newbie)
      Here I will follow the chart to the point. Postflop I will just play as predictable as possible. I raise If I think I have the best hand, call if I have a draw and fold I don't hit anything. This part have more to do with following the chart than anything else. My session review will be really simple there I will analyze if I followed to chart and postflop I will just see if I didn't do to big mistakes.

3000 Goal
      [ ] Play 3000 hands.
      [ ] Follow my checklist before every session.
      [ ] Do a session review after every session.
      [ ] Follow the start-hand-chart to the point.

3000 - 6000 hands (blind Stealer)
      Here I will introduce Blind stealing into my game. because stealing is easy and I can't make many mistakes in position, so I feel it a good next step. I will go though all blind steal attempts in the session review to make sure that I don't have any big leaks. I will also start to use HUD into the game so I can see if the player i tight or loose.

6000 Goal
      [ ] Do intensive studying how to make good blind steals.
      [ ] introduce blind steal into my game.
      [ ] Check list before every session.
      [ ] To a session review after every session.
      [ ] Follow the start-hand-chart.
      [ ] Start using HUD

6000 - 9000 hands (Postflop with lead master)
      It's time to study Postflop. This is the part where I will practice to identify if the board is draw heavy etc. When to do Cbets and when do check. adjust my play if I have the lead or not.

9000 Goal
      [ ] Do intensive studying how to make good blind steals.
      [ ] introduce blind steal into my game.
      [ ] Follow the start-hand-chart

9000 - 12000 hands (Isolation Clown)
      Time to learn Isolation and get this weak player to fold and make me happy. :s_biggrin:

1200 Goal
      [ ] Do intensive studying how to Isolate player.
      [ ] introduce Isolation into my game.
      [ ] Follow the start-hand-chart.

What topics do you feel is important? And place tell me if I have missed something? :D

Other topics I need to cover
      No specific order
      Start-hand-chart
      Isolation
      Domination
      Postflop with lead
      Postflop opponent have lead
      Postflop no one have lead
      Habit to make up goals for every hand
      adjust preflop play to rocks and calling station
      adjust postflop play to rocks and calling station
      adjust preflop play to Maniacs and fish
      adjust postflop play to Maniacs and fish
      adjust preflop play to shortstack
      adjust postflop play to shortstack
      adjust preflop play to TAG's
      adjust postflop play to TAG's
      Protection
      Maximizing Value
      Slowplay
      Player notes
      Table selection
      Strong draws
      Blockbets
      play from the big blinds
      play from the small blinds
      Small pocket pair and sets
      Set-mining
      blind Steal
      Re-stealing

So that is the plan for now. Do you have any idea I can add or mistakes you see?
      -----------------------------------------------------
      16 Sep 2012
      Hallo, my name is Mateusz Rybinski and I’m live in Bangkok, Thailand. I live on only $5-10 per day.

I live a awesome lifestyle right now and don’t want it to end. So my goal is to earn $15 per day and just continue to learn yoga, meditate and Crossfit every day. Also eating really healthy and just chilling with awesome backpackers.

I play lite poker in the beginning of 2012 so I know the basics of SnG - with will be my sole purpose to master.

I’m reading right now “Phil Gordon's Little Green Book” to get back on my shining white poker horse. I will start in two day to play on Pokerstars but first I need to sett up my new routine and set up everything on the computer. Also make a reading list and read up on the basics to not get lost.

Mentally I feel that I have really good Chance to preform well. I’m very stable mentally from my daily training of yoga and mediation. And my healthy routine in food and running every morning, make that I always have my batteries charged.

Have any good tips for me, videos or great books I should read - I will be very grateful if you comment.

Do anyone have a good setup in place with software that tracks your preforms - that you would like to recommend?

PS make a lite info-graphic over a “thinking script”, that Phil Gordon use when he plays.

• 22 replies
    • Spaxxan
      Spaxxan
      Bronze
      Hi !

Awsome iam think of going to Bangkok to in the future.
      5-10$ day? Thats sick haha :) Do you eat any food at all? :D haha.

How long have you been there? And how long do you stay?

Take care!
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      I live now on $10 and will probably go down to $5 soon if everything works out. I will try to get a better deal in the near future, for my bed in a hostel.

If you cook yourself it very cheap to eat. I train crossfit every day so I need much energy. :D

I have been i Asia for about two mouths now. I cycled from Bangkok to Singapore and back (4100km). Now I just chilling out for a month in Bangkok and will spend my energy to learn poker and get better at drawing info-graphics. I don't know long I will stay.
    • Spaxxan
      Spaxxan
      Bronze
      Wow thats awsome :) So do you like the city? Or just stay there cause its so cheap ? :)

haha cycled so long thats cool ;)

How long have you been playing? Just SnG? Site?
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      I love the people and that I care about. Bangkok is dirty and hundredth other things but the people...

There exist even better places to live cheap but I have good computers, tv, hot shower, kitchen and many other awesome things that make this place so nice. And really i'm not that poor that I need to live on $2,5. I live this way because I like it. Not because I'm forced to live like this.

I play couple of week in feb, but not more. SnG make it so easy to control BRM so I like it. having a past as a trader for two years I really know how important MM (money management) is. so I don't like to complicate things.
    • Spaxxan
      Spaxxan
      Bronze
      True, i have heard from many friends that the thai people is verry kind and helpful :) thats a big + in my eyes like u said.

So the internet works fine you say :) thats good. No disconnetion at all?

Yeah Sng is easy to play :)
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      Not much problems with disconnection, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm on a computer in the lobby so I hope it works. :P

Great tips i found in the book "Phil Gordon's Little Green Book"

• Spaxxan
      Spaxxan
      Bronze
      Yeah okey !

Do you live at hotel ? :)
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Spaxxan
      Yeah okey !

Do you live at hotel ? :)
      No a place called http://www.detalakhostel.com/
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      :] really like this blog! Welcome Mateusz, hope all your dreams will come true.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you eat for breakfast every morning that gives you such energy? Or is it the running that keeps you pumping?
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN

If you don't mind me asking, what do you eat for breakfast every morning that gives you such energy? Or is it the running that keeps you pumping?
      Thanks IngridN and wellcome! :D

I eat egg, noddles or rice, and peanuts.

I have energy because I have good habits. I run every day at the morning. Have a midday nap. Do yoga every day and breading exercises. And don't eat to much sweet things. AND SLEEP EARLY AND LONG.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mateuszrybinski
      Originally posted by IngridN

Thanks IngridN and wellcome! :D

I eat egg, noddles or rice, and peanuts.

I have energy because I have good habits. I run every day at the morning. Have a midday nap. Do yoga every day and breading exercises. And don't eat to much sweet things. AND SLEEP EARLY AND LONG.
      sounds awesome thanks for sharing. I think you should check out this thread: Coaching: Learn to Win with Schnitzelfisch - Info + Feedback thread I have a feeling you'll like it :)

Good luck at the tables!
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      Really great day I have. Just places $80 in my pokerstars acc. And will soon download "Holdem manager 2".

Now I wounder if it possible to get same history of a very good SnG player? I have used Hm2 before and I really like the replay option. Was thinking about to get same data and replay the games the person have played.

Ask what I should do and see if I'm right.

I have found that I learn best when I work with the information I try to learn so hear is a other info-graphic :f_biggrin:

• mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      I have problem with software so I guess I will not play today. Have like try to fix it for about tre hour :f_p:

Get HM2 working so I'm glad :D

Only little problem with pokerstars and tableninja. I can play now, without tableninja but all this support reading have really made me tired. I will play later today, hopefully.
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      I really feel hopeless! Playing poker in a hostel with computers in public place is really pain in the ass. :s_o:

Have only have time to play like 6 games and don' t really know how to make more time becose you gut to share the computer. :(

I guess I will postpone my poker game. Going to India in couple of day, joning a Yoga school (yee I know :f_cool: ) so I will make sure I have a computer to play on!

It docent mean that I will not study :)

reading

Decide to play great poker; A strategy guide to no-limit texas hold 'em - Annie Duke

and books on my list

The theory of poker; A professional poker player teaches you how to think like one - David Sklansky

Kill Everyone - Advanced Strategies for No-Limit Holde'em - Lee Nelson; Tysen Streib; Steven Heston

Super system one and two; A course in power poker - Doyle Brunson's

Harrington on hold'em; Volume 1,2,3 - Dan Harrington

Happy poker games
      MR
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      I’m really bad! have read much about poker and next all player say that I should not play over my bankroll but guess what, I did!

I had just installed pokerstars on my net-book and decided to play a lite. Because of my limits in computer power, I can only play one or two table. I though, why not go into a NL10 game and only play on one table. I Finnish of with $ -17 and now I only have 65 left.

I really should know better but I’m glad that this was a cheap lesson. Now I will reameber and is totally worth 17 dollar!

I didn't think that my cheap net-book could handle poker but it did so from now I will play much more and I installed HM2 on my net-book so I will have the possibility to post chart and analyse my game.

I have played around and it time to start taking poker seriously.

I have booth notebook and I will use it as a privet poker dairy. I always feel that is a good way to get my though together and clear my mind. I will use this blog more as a summery of my game, tips I pick up on my way to become a pro and hand analyses.

because the life I live in Thailand I decided to play NL instead for SnG.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      MUCH respect to a person with this work ethic.

I have an [edited by gadget51] which I will give to you should you want it.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Mineriva,

I have edited ouit your offer because it would break the licence Terms and Conditions (T&C) of their licencing agreement, therefore we cannot allow it on the forum.

Hope you understand,

Mal.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      np.

I thought that I paid for 2xxxxx therefore I am at liberty to do with it whatever I liked.

srry OP.
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      Now it time for me to go back to school! really like to try the PokerStrategy.com No Limit Beginners Course and see how it goes.

Lesson 1 start now!