[NL2-NL10] Nl10 88

    • TheWinnerTakesItAll
      TheWinnerTakesItAll
      Bronze
      Joined: 28.01.2012 Posts: 1,187
      Opponent stats 31/16 AF:8,7 WTSD:31 W$SD:67 cbet flop:50 after 178 hands.

      How would you play?


      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

      Play hand

      $0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

      Known players:
      BB:
      $10.00
      UTG2:
      $16.19
      MP1:
      $9.90
      MP2:
      $12.60
      MP3:
      $10.00
      CO (Hero):
      $10.02
      BU:
      $10.85
      SB:
      $6.09


      Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, 8.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

      Flop: ($0.75) 7, 7, A (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.42, MP1 calls $0.42.

      Turn: ($1.59) 3 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $0.76, Hero folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

      Final Pot: $1.59.
  • 8 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.12.2010 Posts: 3,338
      i check behind the flop, see what he does ott. his opening range contains lots of Ax hands and big pairs (which might turn passive on this flop and just call down). if he bets the turn i would probably call IP, but if he barrels the river i think we have to believe him.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.06.2010 Posts: 1,975
      Hi TheWinnerTakesItAll,

      I don't you specific opponent is check-folding this board too often. We could try a 3 barrel against him, but I think usually it is best to check it back and fold to his turn bet since he looks showdown happy (was lucky on the sample though).

      This is a board where the opponent will bet all his air and all his good stuff. When he checks, he does it with the intention of getting to the showdown. If you think you can make your opponent laydown small ace, TT-KK by a 3barrel go4it, if not just check back and give up.

      Best regards.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.12.2010 Posts: 3,338
      Originally posted by DeMarcohsp
      Hi TheWinnerTakesItAll,

      I don't you specific opponent is check-folding this board too often. We could try a 3 barrel against him, but I think usually it is best to check it back and fold to his turn bet since he looks showdown happy (was lucky on the sample though).

      This is a board where the opponent will bet all his air and all his good stuff. When he checks, he does it with the intention of getting to the showdown. If you think you can make your opponent laydown small ace, TT-KK by a 3barrel go4it, if not just check back and give up.

      Best regards.
      hey DeMarcohsp

      could you elaborate on the bolded point please? it's something i need to understand and it seems to affect our overall plan for the hand. how do we know he checks with the intention of getting to the showdown? and most importantly, how can we recognise spots where villains check with the intention of calling down, rather than just checking and giving up?

      to me, this board looks like if he will be checking a lot of his strong hands here. just cos it's super unlikely you will ever call him when he bets.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.06.2010 Posts: 1,975
      Hi DrDunne,

      People don't have a sense of when cbetting makes sense or not so their basic approach is to bet whenever they think they have enough fold equity (which they can often overestimate).

      In this spot I expect villain to cbet all his air and all his Ax. Do you think we will check smth like 89s when we have a medium strength range ourselves and he has all the strong aces in his one? So when my opponent checks on this board as the PFR I expect him to have weak Ax and mid pocket pairs all the time.

      The reverse would be that people check/fold when they check on drawy boards. Examples would be like T-K high boards with multiple draw possibilities. Like would your opponent check anything that he is not folding to a double/triple barrel on a drawy board? I don't say he should not be doing this, I just say that in practice people mindlessly cbet (just because they have the initiative and think it matters so much) and when they check their range is face up.

      Tell me if you don't fully understand what I just said and I will try to be more clearly next time :) .

      Best regards.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.12.2010 Posts: 3,338
      Originally posted by DeMarcohsp
      In this spot I expect villain to cbet all his air and all his Ax. Do you think we will check smth like 89s when we have a medium strength range ourselves and he has all the strong aces in his one? So when my opponent checks on this board as the PFR I expect him to have weak Ax and mid pocket pairs all the time.
      do you mean he is cbetting all his fairly good Ax hands like AT or AJ+ on this board? and check/calling all his weak Ax hands like A5 and so on? He is also check/calling his showdown value hands (basically all mid-high pps)?

      surely he can sometimes check/fold lots of hands on this board, like many pps and KQ type hands.. or is this not the right way to think?


      Originally posted by DeMarcohsp
      The reverse would be that people check/fold when they check on drawy boards. Examples would be like T-K high boards with multiple draw possibilities. Like would your opponent check anything that he is not folding to a double/triple barrel on a drawy board? I don't say he should not be doing this, I just say that in practice people mindlessly cbet (just because they have the initiative and think it matters so much) and when they check their range is face up.
      what about if they flop some draw and go into check/call mode?

      i think what you're saying has definitely identified a leak in my game and i'm just trying to understand it better :)

      p.s. thanks for posting this hand theWinnerTakesItAll! :D
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.06.2010 Posts: 1,975
      do you mean he is cbetting all his fairly good Ax hands like AT or AJ+ on this board? and check/calling all his weak Ax hands like A5 and so on? He is also check/calling his showdown value hands (basically all mid-high pps)? surely he can sometimes check/fold lots of hands on this board, like many pps and KQ type hands.. or is this not the right way to think?


      I think that at these stakes you should expect people to have way too high cbets (don't they have like 80% all the time?) which means basically that on a board like this they cbet all their air + smth like AT/AJ+.

      So his checking range on the flop is made up of small Ax and mid pockets.

      what about if they flop some draw and go into check/call mode? i think what you're saying has definitely identified a leak in my game and i'm just trying to understand it better


      Do you see this often? When I played this limit everybody was cbetting any draw on any draw. If this is true (check of few hundred hands filtered for flop check as PFR on drawy boards) then ofc go with your read which is true on your stake+site. Just make sure it is true.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.12.2010 Posts: 3,338
      thanks for breaking it down like this. definitely given me something useful to think about :D
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.06.2010 Posts: 1,975
      Np, glad to help :) .