[NL2-NL10] nl10 check/raise w/OESD

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (SB): $10.27 (102.7 bb)
      BTN: $10.42 (104.2 bb)
      CO: $10.15 (101.5 bb)
      MP: $14.90 (149 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6 6
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.25, BB folds

Flop: ($0.70) 5 8 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, BTN calls $1

Turn: ($3.70) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.76, Hero folds

Results:
      $3.70 pot ($0.18 rake)
      Final Board: 5 8 7 7
      Hero mucked 6 6 and lost (-$1.80 net)
      BTN mucked and won $3.52 ($1.72 net)

his range is so wide i didn't expect him to call but once he did i just shut down. is this too spewy? i can't call OOP so i just went for the aggressive line.
  • 6 replies
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      would prefer a 3bet pre. any info on villain ?

once you raise flop, you need to continue on that turn, if you don't it will look like you're trying to be aggressive but don't exactly know how to continue once he calls. Always have a plan for various turns when you raise flop.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i guess i don't have too much experience with plays like this, but i didn't see him having many strong hands in his range on this flop and he was betting 100%. other than that, no info on villain other than he's been somewhat active and he was opening up in LP quite a bit.

my plan was to shut down if he called, but maybe this is a terrible plan.
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      i guess i don't have too much experience with plays like this, but i didn't see him having many strong hands in his range on this flop and he was betting 100%. other than that, no info on villain other than he's been somewhat active and he was opening up in LP quite a bit.
      no problem ;) that's why we're all hear, to learn :D

if he is opening quite a bit in LP, adjust and 3bet him more, not only with your value range.

ok, but if you raise flop then, be prepared to continue on a lot of turn cards, cards that pair the board, hearts, etc. You cannot raise that flop and then check that turn. if a villain does that to me(unknown or weak reg) i will insta-bet almost my whole flop calling range, because his line is so weak and he folds soooo often, just like you did

hope that makes sense
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i mean i did think about barreling here but the pot would have been huge. what do you think about X/C flop and X/R turn line?
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      does X stand for bet or check ?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bmfbpi
      does X stand for bet or check ?
      x is for check.

I would likely 3-bet pre-flop, since 66 is doing fine against steel and you can also take down pots postflop without hitting your set.

On the board I would have lead out flop and turn for value. If you want to c/r then it is also fine, but would put you on difficult spots if you miss. I think 7 is not the worst turn card and now gives you boat or quads (if you were raising flop with set), so instead of c/f I would bet out turn 2.80 threatening him my all-in river shove. Even overpairs would often fold there without any reads.

best regards,