[NL2-NL10] NL10: AK funky 4bet size vs SS

Bronze
      Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 3 players - View hand 1904579
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $9.85
      BB: $4.00
      Hero (BTN): $10.25

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with A :diamond: K :heart:
      Hero raises to $0.25, 1 fold, BB raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.75, BB calls $1.35

Flop: ($3.55) 2 :diamond: 2 :spade: T :spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $8.50 all in, BB folds

I decided to 4bet to an amount that still allows him to call preflop but which also commits me to any flop so that my decision on the flop would be easier. Is it too big?
  • 5 replies
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Hi Avatars91,

Make it 1 dollar to potentially induce more spew and also you should have the mindset that you are commited on any flop even so ;) .

Your sizing is too big, he is not calling that without going allin on any flop.

Best regards.
      Bronze
      Umm,
      if I raise it to 1.00$, the pot on the flop is ~2.00$ and he has 3.00$ left. Is that not an awkard spot? Is your plan then to bet 1/2 and call vs his shove? Difficult to imagine us getting it in as favourites often enough with this or a similar line.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Think of it this way, you are going to lose your 40bb when he has better hand against him anyways. AK is a hand to almost always play for stacks 40bb deep. When he flats your 3bet pre his range is even weaker. You can deff get some extra value this way imo.
      Bronze
      That does not exactly answer the part about what and how he plays postflop. Sure, he is not the best player there is, certainly, but even he should often realize that it is tough for him to have much fold equity if I bet 1$ in a pot of 2$ and he pushes his last 3$ (of course, their perception of their fold equity depends on their general competency in poker). There certainly are cases when what you say is true, it's not that hard to imagine, but is it really always the correct line to take vs all opponents that are this short without even knowing anything about their aggression? I could imagine, though, that if we indeed see ourselves ahead here, that we could check behind and treat our hand like a marginal value hand, provided that our opponent is aggressive and may take stabs with air at the pot on further streets (although then we could still consider betting very small on the flop thus inducing a checkraise, but not sure if 1$, as you suggested, is really small enough to induce any bluffs + villain may even very likely be passive in this case).

That being said, there are some complications that arise with your line and I am not sure my line is all that bad (I remember TwiceT suggesting something similar in one of his videos, but maybe not raising as big as I did (still much bigger than 1$)).

Also,
      Your sizing is too big, he is not calling that without going allin on any flop.

I don't completely agree with this point (in this very own hand we even still see a fold from villain + on a relatively dry board) because there are still Ax hands/broadways that miss often and can fold, depending on how loose he is calling preflop. + Even if he does not fold, we should be very happy, shouldn't we? Of course as long as he calls us light preflop, which I believe should be the case. Don't mind seeing calls here from AJ+, KQ or even worse.

All in all: my line (I agree – a bit too big a raise) might be flawed but I also am not that big a fan of raising it so small, especially since he can still call bigger bets (and that makes our life easier because it commits us more). I think that the correct answer might lie in between.

For that reason also, I wouldn't mind at all getting a 3rd opinion from Veriz.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Doubt that you going to induce more spew, if the guy wants to go broke then he goes, no matter what raise size we have. Though I'd myself do it still a bit smaller, maybe something like $1,30-1,50 and then ship any flop unless we hit, then the plan should be to invite him along with some bets or even Check behind for bluff-induce.

Vs such stacks we don't really need to balance either what kind of sizing we do cause they are usually rather bad players unless we have some other assumptions/stats.

Best Regards.