[NL2-NL10] NL10: KQs raise vs cBet

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players - View hand 1904689
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): $17.05 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 18, 3B: 5, AF: 4,7, Hands: 75534
      SB: $13.58 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 15, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, Hands: 86
      BB: $10.09 - VPIP: 24, PFR: 19, 3B: 9, AF: 3,1, Hands: 233
      CO: $10.10 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 26, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, cBetFlop: 67(3), Hands: 31

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with Q :spade: K :spade:
      CO raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.75) 3 :heart: A :diamond: T :spade: (2 players)
      CO bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.60, CO folds

Our opponent seems to be some sort of a reg, but other than that it's all we know.

Given this lack of information, how do you evaluate my raise here? I can represent a set of TT, 33, but that is pretty much all. Should be enough though since villain probably folds anything worse than Ax vs an unknown's IP raise.

What would you think about a float here, though? I suppose that vs an unknown it is not as great as raising because villain can still be 2nd barreling even on this board with a wide range (although I do think that this board is the kind of a board that someone may cBet on with air without continuing on the turn). Therefore I guess that:

raising>folding>floating

Correct?
  • 6 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

You raise, especially big raise does not make any sense to me. With AT, TT, 33 players would expect you to slowplay that dry board and although no-one would play back with air I think they are not raise/folding Ax hands.
      If you want to get fold worst hands, then floating would be a little better option to then bet big turn and river. With your equity and reason that you didn´t raise pf I think you can´t fold your hand to single c-bet.

So my line would be: calling/raising/folding

best regards,
      Bronze
      I would certainly raise 33, TT, AT in this spot and get it in vs Ax. We protect from many GS hands + if villain indeed doesn't have Ax, we're not getting that much value out of him anyway. I would also recommend/expect everyone else doing that unless there are some special conditions present. So why not raise here if we're balanced? The only reason not to raise here could be that we don't know anything about our opponent's postflop tendencies. I could agree that because of that it's better to just fold.

And for that reason – why float if we don't even know how often he cBets, let alone 2nd barrels? Especially given that he is cBetting a board that hits my preflop broadway range + a few combos of my Ax calling range and I may very well expect him to cBet again.

That said I can't decide between raising and folding here. That said, I also would like to know what Veriz thinks about this all.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Sry, pressed wrong button.

Why mostly good players does not raise here 33, is that CO very rarely can b/c (which also showed that he b/f your raise), so to balance out times when they have AJ they would also flat with two pair and sets (since board is dry then they also don´t need to protect their hands against random gutshots and Ax hands has 2% equity against their set and 10% equity against AT.

Please press again need judge button, although seems like veriz has not really judged too many hands lately, so I can´t promise he would take another look at your question.
      Bronze
      What you say makes sense (balancing), however, we are talking here about NL10 and we can't really know that our opponent indeed plays such straightforward and honest poker. Very frequently can we get calls from Ax and just because he folded now, it does not mean that what we did was wrong (especially since he quite likely didn't even have Ax), and why would it if his range can very well contain other hands that cBet this board + we never really know how bad he is after 30 hands to say that we absolutely must slowplay because otherwise he will notice that our calling range is very weak and he will just fold his Ax since we look so strong.
      I mean, surely not something that someone on NL2 should be worried about, right? And I believe that NL10 is not that much different in this aspect (if we are talking about unknowns).
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Also why I like calling is that he players would very likely give up if you call them on Axx boards and would not bet turn with worse hands (would sometimes also c/f better hands like 88/99)- so that´s why I would prefer floating.

Consider about players b/c ranges I think most players would b/c there strong Ax hands, but might easily b/f weaker hands, like A7s or if they call once then would fold to big turn bet.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      going to mark this thread judged, since I doubt veriz can look it up in few days.