[NL2-NL10] AJs straight vs straightflush

• Tatarken
      Tatarken
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $7.21 (144.2 bb)
      SB: $11.61 (232.2 bb)
      BB: $12.68 (253.6 bb)
      MP: $5.07 (101.4 bb)
      CO: $5 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J A
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, SB calls $0.13, BB folds

Flop: ($0.35) T 2 K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, SB raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($1.15) Q (2 players)
      SB bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75

River: ($2.65) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $2, Hero calls $2

Results:
      $6.65 pot ($0.28 rake)
      Final Board: T 2 K Q 9
      Hero mucked J A and lost (-$3.30 net)
      SB showed J 9 and won $6.37 ($3.07 net)
  • 4 replies
    • muumionu
      muumionu
      Bronze
      I think you should fold the flop already, even if he does have a fd ur not far ahead, if you had A :heart: I would consider calling the min raise

As played I think you played turn and river well, don't really think you can fold it there, since he can have worse straight and some bluffs in his range maybe
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Hi Tatarken,

I think you should give up on the flop and hope you hit on the turn. He is smashing this flop imo since his range is very likely heavy broadway oriented. So I'd check back this flop. If he has small pocket or missed SC's he'll usually check turn and you can make your stab there.

As played, not much else to comment.

Best regards.
    • Tatarken
      Tatarken
      Bronze
      Why u donn't like 3 betting ATs? It's good enough hand to play profitably OOP? I saw grinders on NL 50 to 3 bet Ax hands from blinds. I started to do this and it made a very + EV play for me. What do u think about that strategy? It's true that is good to 3 bet A2-A9 from blinds and call AT-AK to dominate his worse Ax hands?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Tatarken,

Flop: Have to ask already here what's going to be the point of CBetting here? You rarely going to make any hands to fold and even if you get called your equity is going to be very bad. Though vs the min-raise rather fold, you don't have the implied odds for your GS.

As played
      Turn: Calling is still fine here whilst you even hit.
      River: Though I'd be more inclined to give up the river cause his min-raising range and then betting stronger on the turn & river rather looks towards a FD which completed. If he had a strong hand he would most likely raise bigger on the flop.

Best Regards.