$ev of hero in a tournament

• 7 replies
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Before the FT it's approximately: "remaining prize money" x "hero stack" / "Chips in play"

But here's an exact one i've never tried

On the FT Here's one
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      thanks for the reply. The method the link describes allows you to make icm calculations in mtt but it doesnt give the $ev of the players. However if you use this you can get the $ev of players in a tournament (maximum players is 15 though).

Does anyone know of any other way of calculating $ev outside the Final Table?
    • Semesa
      Semesa
      Bronze
      ICM Calc's are $ev calcs.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/175/2/

If you read the article here it shows how to calculate $ev of a chip stack. It shouldn't be too difficult for you to figure out from there how to do it for ITM.

:)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Originally posted by bradomurder
      Before the FT it's approximately: "remaining prize money" x "hero stack" / "Chips in play"
      That's chipEV ;)
      $EV is based on ICM calculations.
      Semesa already posted the relevant article.

Obv ICM is most important for final tables. Therefore a lot of tools for the final table exist. Most tools that are used for deal making have the possibility to deal $EV or ChipEV. ChipEV is most common in final table deals, but from time to time you will see requests for ICM deals.

Before reaching the final table there is no need to calculate $EV in most cases since it is very similar to chipEV in these phases. It's not identical, but in most cases there is no added value if you know your $EV.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Semesa
      ICM Calc's are $ev calcs.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/175/2/

If you read the article here it shows how to calculate $ev of a chip stack. It shouldn't be too difficult for you to figure out from there how to do it for ITM.

:)
      Thanks for the input mate.

I know how to calculate the $ev of each player at the bubble of a 9-man sng, manually.

Is it possible to do the same process of calculation to find the $ev of a player in a mtt with 20 players left and only 7 getting paid?
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Asaban
      Originally posted by bradomurder
      That's chipEV ;)
      $EV is based on ICM calculations.
      Semesa already posted the relevant article.

Obv ICM is most important for final tables. Therefore a lot of tools for the final table exist. Most tools that are used for deal making have the possibility to deal $EV or ChipEV. ChipEV is most common in final table deals, but from time to time you will see requests for ICM deals.

Before reaching the final table there is no need to calculate $EV in most cases since it is very similar to chipEV in these phases. It's not identical, but in most cases there is no added value if you know your $EV.

Regards,
      Asaban
      Thanks Asaban.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

However i respectfully disagree . If you look at http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/1829/1/ you can see that in a 45-man there is a BF of 1.24 with 20 player left and in a 27-man a BF of 1.15 with 20 players left. That's a 5% risk premium which is a lot in my opinion. even in a 180 man there is a 1.15 BF with 45 players left.

The games are much tougher than they used to be and if we want to remain winning players we need to use all the information available to us to make the best decisions. Approximating the BF at various staged of a mtt and using it in our decision making is very important in my opinion.

By being able to calculate the $ev of a player I can use it to approximate the Bubble factor of a player with X number of players left.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      True!
      The smaller the field size, the more important are ICM and bubble factors. Still there is no need to calculate the $EV in these spots imo. A fundamental knowledge of ICM and corresponding ranges are absolutely sufficient. Of course you have to adept to these bubble factors - but in many cases they are outweighted by the future game aspect that is not part of ICM calculations.

Really important bubble factors are only present at the ITM bubble and the very late game.

Regards,
      Asaban