How to deal with tilt?

• 4 replies
    • zobupasts
      Basically- don't tilt!

As soon as you feel that you start to tilt sit out and quit the session and don't play until you are ready to play your best again.

There is a lot of good material about tilt control on PokerStrategy. Take a look here and go from there.
    • RasTweet
      Hey prime333

What zobupasts said is spot on I think.

As soon as you feel that you are going to tilt, then just stop playing. Even if you are only playing for 5min or so. It's just not worth it.

You get used to losing a big pot after a while though and you will be able to control you're tilt.

Also have a read in the articles zobupasts linked you to, they will help you with you're questions about tilt.

Also have a look in this thread. In this thread you can asks questions to Jared Tendler who wrote a great book about the mindset in poker called "The mental game of poker".

• faronel
      Hey, prime333!

Managing tilt takes same hard work as mastering poker. In my opinion, tilt is a state of mind when you start amplifying your own anger by irrational thoughts. For an easy example, you lose a big pot, after which you feel irritated, but instead of calming yourself down, you start chasing the unhelping thoughts "why did i lose? i deserved to win this one?" ; "this guy is a sucker, die, sucker!" ; "oh, that stupid, unfair river!" --- those thoughts are the very base of your tilt. The trick is to notice them right away and counter these thoughts!
      With experience you will notice one thing: the more poker you play, the more you can lose big pots, but if you do most of the things right, you will still win more times than lose. This is called "beating variance by the huge play volume". Because as a starting player you look at this one pot you lost and not the big picture. Trust me, an experienced player doesn't care that much about that big pot he lost, he cares that over 100.000k hands in the same scenario he will have profit! So, next time you notice the unhelping thoughts, tell to yourself "it is just variance in this particular hand, if I did everything right then in a long run I will profit form it! Besides, I would want to go allin in a situation like this over and over again!"

However, if you would like to get some more elaborate discussion on the matter, then feel free posting your question at Jared's thread who is our expert mental coach. The link to the thread
    • ExternalUseOnly
      Hey prime333

Did you read those links that others passed on to you? If so what did you think? Did they help you out at all?

I agree with faronel experience will teach you a lot about the game you will eventually not be phased when someone sucks out on you for 300bbs you will just keep playing and getting your money in good. Also as already said above you will get better at noticing the signs of tilt and can sort your head out or bring your session to an early end if you can't continue to play at your best.

Good luck sir