Suggestions on how to become less results oriented?

• luckyme44
      luckyme44
      Bronze
      Hi,

Ive been playing poker for a long time now, but recently have found myself looking at my balance and pt3 graphs way too much.. I find this weird because I use to be the opposite and just focus on my play and if it was +EV or not. I didn't care which way the money went but lately I've taken a 180 and cannot figure out how to stop it or what I did to even get myself doing this... I've been thinking of factors outside of poker and nothing really points towards a cause... Anyway, I'm just looking for helpful info on how to stop this really.

Any experience with this situation and helpful suggestions would be much appreciated. I thank you in advance.
  • 5 replies
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Don't look at that cashier/graph! Simple as that. At least that worked for me.

It helps if you have big enough bankroll so that you don't have to worry about losing a buy-in or two. Keep learning, make the right decisions at the tables and keep grinding.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hello luckyme44

i'm also (a bit...) results oriented and keep looking at my cashier/graph/session results while playing etc. it's something i can't help. i tried to stop and focus on not looking and just playing. it actually did help in that a lot of the time i just play and don't look, but other times it feels like a really bad itch that i have to just look at it and i focus on not looking so much that my game goes a bit out the window. so i end up looking.

i think there isn't much that you can do about this. the problem doesn't seem to be looking at the results, but more that you are playing (in general) in an attempt to make results. you approach the game and really try to end the session in the +. in my opinion, the only thing that can be done about this is to play hundreds of thousands of hands and never stop learning and as we improve, this problem will solve itself - i think it is natural. it sounds like a cop-out solution, but i just think it comes from a slight immaturity about the game. once we know our games are super solid and build more confidence then there isn't a need to look at the results because we know they will be nice after a sample.

Lewis.
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      Use scriptblockers to block your balance and try to look it at a broader perspective and seeing the monetary value as a reward for long term succes and not for a short term guideline for your skill/confidence level.

It also helps if poker is not your sole source of income that way you can more easily threat the money you make as 'points' instead of thinking you didn't make your daily target that you would normally expect from a normal job
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      I'm quite new to poker and quite results oriented too. I just can't help feeling sad/angry when I know i made all the right decisions and get a badbeat, especially repeatedly in a single session. I have a small bankroll and losing several buy-ins consecutively even at NL2 hurts and sends me tilting easily. I find it really hard to cope with a downswing because I tend to chase my losses but the bad beats just keep coming and it's impossible to continue playing without losing a lot. Wondering is taking a break from playing poker and just concentrating on studying poker 100% for a week a good idea?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tommygecko
      I'm quite new to poker and quite results oriented too. I just can't help feeling sad/angry when I know i made all the right decisions and get a badbeat, especially repeatedly in a single session. I have a small bankroll and losing several buy-ins consecutively even at NL2 hurts and sends me tilting easily. I find it really hard to cope with a downswing because I tend to chase my losses but the bad beats just keep coming and it's impossible to continue playing without losing a lot. Wondering is taking a break from playing poker and just concentrating on studying poker 100% for a week a good idea?
      it's a good idea. but even acknowledging how results oriented you are helps. at least when you get annoyed you know deep down that it doesn't really matter. the thing is, it will never stop and so you have to learn to accept it. i'm still learning to accept it. after a while you learn to laugh it off if you know you made the best decision and came out losing. if you did not make a good decision and it leads to tilt then it is something for you to work on.

use the tilt to stop playing and start studying - it should be a motivator. and at these stakes it is very likely not to be variance but actual mistakes on your part. but always remember that no amount of studying will stop bad beats so it is better to start accepting them as part of the game and work on the things that you can control. being honest with yourself about your level of skill is the best way.

i don't mean that every time you tilt you should stop playing and only study - part of working on your game (imo) is to try not to tilt and at least try to make the best decisions while on tilt. otherwise you just quit after a few bad beats.

i don't think you can just try to stop being results oriented either. i think it comes through just playing hundreds of thousands of hands and seeing the bigger picture. we are all results oriented in one way or another, but unfortunately there isn't a switch to just turn it off (if there is, please tell me where to find it!). only keep playing and working on your game :)

i suggest reading 'treat your poker like a business', by leatherass - really helpful book covering this topic, and an easy read.

Lewis.