Stream of poor hands

• Jezzabeanz
      Jezzabeanz
      Bronze
      Hi,

I seem to be getting very poor hands lately, things that I don't even like playing in late position. Things like 7-2/8-3/9-4 off-suit. It seems that in the low-stakes 1-table SnG the players are very aggressive and it is hard to play weak hands in position. Most of the time I'll just fold them.

Any advice?
  • 13 replies
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Bronze
      "Most of the time I'll just fold them."

+1 your own advice is the best I can offer.The cards will come.
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      yep just fold

you can only play what your dealt its how you decide to play them that matters

good luck
    • Jezzabeanz
      Jezzabeanz
      Bronze
      Ah, I was hoping for some secret solution. :)
      Thanks for the reaffirmation.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      If you play on Stars you could ship 2 cents to Negreanu. Other than that theres nothing you can do. Just grind it out.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Originally posted by Jezzabeanz
      Ah, I was hoping for some secret solution. :)
      Thanks for the reaffirmation.
      Hey Jezzabeanz

There is no secret solution unfortunately :D

Just keep playing mate. It can seem a little frustrating when playing 1 SnG at a time and to have been playing for a while and then not be dealt any good cards, or someone gets lucky and sucks out on you and all of a sudden your SnG is ended and you must start again from the beginning.

Have you ever thought about opening 2 SnGs at the same time? Of course you don't have to try this until you feel comfortable with it but playing more games is just one way to take your mind away from the lack of cards.

Keep folding your weak hands and picking up chips with your strong hands keep reading the SnG articles and learning new tricks and try watching a couple of videos too so you can see the theory put into practice ;)

Best of luck
      Carl
    • Jezzabeanz
      Jezzabeanz
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply, Carl.

I have thought about it but I only did my first SnG last night, perhaps a couple more and I'll give it a try. From what I have seen though it seems best practice to play it careful at the beginning of a SnG and wait for some players to burn themselves out by going All in the first few hands.

Thanks,

Andrew
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Jezzabeanz,

You will find many many times that you sit there with unplayable hands. What you will learn - and this is very important - is where that fold button is [the fold button isn't a liability, it's your friend], patience and discipline. Just add little bits of strategy to your game as you get more confident and you will soon be doing well.

And you are quite right about sitting quietly and not trying to make something happen in the early stages. You are learning quickly it seems. :s_cool:

Regards,

Mal.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Jezzabeanz
      Hi,

I seem to be getting very poor hands lately, things that I don't even like playing in late position. Things like 7-2/8-3/9-4 off-suit. It seems that in the low-stakes 1-table SnG the players are very aggressive and it is hard to play weak hands in position. Most of the time I'll just fold them.

Any advice?
      It is rather funny that you should post this.
      Today, I played over 1K hands, -- about 5x my usual volume -- and it seemed like I was getting crap, crap, crap.

So at one point, I said to myself, "Self -- wtf, just bet".
      This is the result:
      NOT RECOMMENDED!!!
      IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

CO: $10.70 (107 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $11.86 (118.6 bb)
      SB: $14.75 (147.5 bb)
      BB: $11.94 (119.4 bb)
      MP: $12.49 (124.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 7 2
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) A K J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.48, BB calls $0.48

Turn: ($1.61) 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.61) 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.20, BB folds
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Jezzabeanz!

Like everyone said, just fold the hands. If you would play them, you would start losing a lot of hands. Don't do like Vorpal did :facepalm:

I'm a cashgame player, but I did notice that ppl on the smallest SnG's just bust themselves yes. If you're patient you can fold your way in the money :f_biggrin:

Best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet
    • jaeden23
      jaeden23
      Bronze
      The secret is patience and discipline.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Discipline?
      Patience?

Are you trying to take the fun out of it?

Today I played in a tournament where the top 10 got a ticket to the next round where 4 seats to the 3rd round were awarded.
      11-40 got a ticket to a round 3 where only 1 seat was awarded.
      41-59 got another round 2 ticket.

I got to 5th place just as the field hit 40. Nice.
      I then had a run of over 90 hands that were either outright folds, or disciplined folds where someone that out-stacked me shoved first.

I finished 11th, when I was forced to make a move when the two short stacks both doubled up instead of blinding out.

However, I would not have even been THAT close if more than a few people above me had not busted out for no reason.

Discipline
      Patience
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      if you're observant opportunities will arise where you can make dead money plays with any two cards and a high probability of success just by having position on limp-calling fit or folders.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      If you're observant...having position...

Good points.

In a recent video pleno1 stated:
      Position+Initiative=profit.

I think he might have mentioned aggression too.
      Even in position though, it is important to be playing with hands that have some value for when you get called.

This does two things:
      First it gives you a chance to make a hand.
      Secondly, it shows the other at the table -- the observant ones at least -- that you play good cards.