1v1 SnG

• Jezzabeanz
      Jezzabeanz
      Bronze
      Hi,

I've only done a handful of SnGs so far but an area where I'm struggling especially is in the last stages of a match. When there is only another player and myself left. I've come 2nd twice now and I'm just wondering if there are any tips for the final stage or even a heads up SnG (as it is a similar experience).

Thanks,
      Andrew
  • 6 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, Andrew!

Important thing to remember is that HU game is only chip EV and there is no ICM tax involved in it. Also, a good starting help will be to use nash charts for when you are in the push/fold mode. Here's a link: Click. Generally, vs good players, I will tend to play a style similar to nash when stack sizes are shallow. Vs fishy players, you better off mix your game a bit by limping for 10bb, or shoving wider as they will call you tighter etc etc.

When 3-handed(assuming you play 50:30:20 FR SnGs), you need to know the concepts of ICM quite good and this happens with time and a lot of practice. Programs that are useful for that are SnG Wizard, Nash Resources site, ICM explorer could also help and a few others.

It's a huge topic to be covered in a single post, but I think what you need to do is take advantage of our big database of videos, articles and start exploring them. Gaining status is easy.

Cheers!
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Originally posted by kurrkabin
      . Here's a link: Click.
      Hi! How do you use this chart? what does these numbers mean? for example in pusher chart I have JTo and the number there is 20+ it means I push if I have more than 20 bb or what? not getting it at all
      thanks
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Pusher is when you are about to push, caller is when u are about to call when your opponent has put all the chips in :P

So..let's say you have 8bb holding q4o vs a compenent player. You don't know whether to push or not. You look at the graph -starting with the higher card(Queen) in our case going down to the 4 in the orange sector, because it's an offsuited one. If it was suited, you go the same way, but to the green sector, because it's from the same suit.

See the difference now, Q4o is a push for 7.9bb according to nash, making it very close, where as Q4s will be comfortable unexploitable shove for 16.3bb.

That all if you opponents call similar to nash. Otherwise, you should deviate depending on your opponent.

But once again, it's a good starting point.
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      so this chart suggests to push J9o if I have 20+ blinds. I have 50 bb and it is still good to push with this trash hand? dont get this chart
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      Originally posted by benaars
      so this chart suggests to push J9o if I have 20+ blinds. I have 50 bb and it is still good to push with this trash hand? dont get this chart
      The chart is designed for HU from 20bb and under. It is unexploitable against someone who uses nash exactly, which most players who you face don't do so it isn't optimal in any way.

I would use nash as a guideline and it's pretty good when you get shorter. But openshoving anything above 15-16bb with a few exceptions is pretty bad vs most players you face.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Try avoid pushing with more than 10-13bb in general. There are alternative lines to be taken. Vs fishes I would rather go small ball IP as they are loose and passive thus make a lot of mistakes postflop. Vs somebody who re-steals a lot, I would prefer to push j9o for 13 bb f.e instead of raise/folding or raise/calling.