[NL2-NL10] 10Nl Zoom Aa Oop

• MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Hi,

I am wondering if this is bad call spot or not. I am not folding river because I am checking (if that makes any sense, rofl).

Villain is unknown, I have some stats over 8 hands but I am not sure I payed much attention to that. However I did see he played 2 hands and both went to show down, he won at showdown 1. Not that it really tells much, but anyway.

I am betting flop to extract value from smaller pairs

I am betting turn for same reason, I don't see that anything has changed with such a card

I am checking river because I am planning to call.

questions:

a) If I am thinking he is after a flush, what is the best move on river?

b) Is it bad calling the river? How do I play OOP such a river? Should I stay or should I go?

Thanks a lot :heart:

PokerStars - $0.10 NL ZOOM - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $5.25
      SB: $10.19
      BB: $2.97
      UTG: $21.52
      Hero (UTG+1): $10.64
      UTG+2: $9.17
      MP: $13.01
      MP+1: $10.81
      CO: $19.77

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has A:club: A:spade:

fold, Hero raises to $0.30, fold, fold, fold, CO calls $0.30, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) 3:diamond: 9:spade: 3:spade:
      Hero bets $0.61, CO calls $0.61

Turn: ($1.97, 2 players) 4:club:
      Hero bets $1.50, CO calls $1.50

River: ($4.97, 2 players) 7:spade:
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.90,

Hero ?
  • 1 reply
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      while i understand the reasoning (you can't get pushed off a showdown) it is flawed.

the main thing is... what usually are our reasons for check/calling the river?
      a clear majority of the time it is for bluffcatching. so... what can he be bluffing with?

933ss is not a board in that he would want to call 2 streets with pure air, specially against your sizings. his range that gets to the river is probably, at its widest, something like TP+ with some random flushdraws.
      so on the river there is just about nothing that he can be bluffing with.

but... maybe he is some sick thin valuebettor that has decided that QQ is clearly the best hand now? there are a few issues here.

the most important thing is that people are generally far more inclined to call than to bet. most of the time it is preferrable to just bet yourself and avoid check behinds.
      and for this specific hand, the other issues are his sizing and this specific rivercard. his sizing is definitely not a thin valuebet, and this is a super bad card to valuebet thinly because the flush completes and pretty much all worse hands that check are going for the c/f.

so if he isn't bluffing and isn't valuebetting thinly, then as played the river is a c/f, specially vs such a sizing.

i think that a much better line though is to bet/fold halfpot and get calls from TP+ which should be the majority of his range.
      he won't be raising worse because he has nothing to bluffraise with and worse pairs are never raising unless he is completely clueless.