[NL2-NL10] nl10 AQ in the blinds #1

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $11.20 (112 bb)
      BTN: $14.81 (148.1 bb)
      MP: $5.78 (57.8 bb)
      SB: $14.34 (143.4 bb)
      CO: $10 (100 bb)
      UTG: $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q A
      CO posts BB OOP, UTG folds, MP raises to $0.40, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.95) Q 6 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.15) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $1.40, Hero calls $1.40

River: ($4.95) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.40, MP folds

Results:
      $4.95 pot ($0.24 rake)
      Final Board: Q 6 8 T A
      Hero mucked Q A and won $4.71 ($2.31 net)
      MP mucked and lost (-$2.40 net)

villain is 23/17 over 280 hands, goes to SD 37%. my question really is what to do preflop?
  • 16 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      I'd 3-bet him, he's betting with many worse hands and he's not going to give up his weaker queens and stuff.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      I think I am calling as you did. I would check the river though hoping to see a 3rd barrel :D
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      I'd 3bet.

Scores are 2:2 :f_biggrin:
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      lately i'm leaning towards 3betting. i'm just trying to better understand the right situations for it and i'm quickly realising that i'm losing a lot of value by playing passively in these spots.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      :( 3:1

What is his fold to 3bet? and fold to 3bet in pos?
    • Thorek
      Thorek
      Bronze
      Weak call without position preflop, weak call on board with draws flop. U should play more agressive
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      To know what to do preflop, stats would be helpful here as MisClick said.
      Is he calls 3B a lot then go ahead and 3B him for value. But since you have to fold to a 4B (I think at those stakes there is not much 4B bluff going on so I wouldn't shove over) if he plays 4B/fold then flat is fine.

On the flop I like your x/c. x/r get it in would be overplaying your hand I believe.
      Have a look at the equity we have vs his get it in range ( I even included KQ):

Board: 8dQs6s
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 40.95% 40.79% 0.16% { AhQh }
      MP3 59.05% 58.89% 0.16% { QQ+, 88, 66, KQs, Q8s, Q6s, AsKs, AsQs, AsJs, AsTs, As9s, As8s, As7s, As6s, As5s, As4s, As3s, As2s, KQo }

Turn is fine too.

Why did you bet OTR? Let him keep bluffing!
      He will bet his 2 pairs that you beat anyways (and you can even x/shove OTR). He might bet his missed flush draws. The only hand you are losing value against would be Ax that he might check back but that's ok since you will get more value vs his other holdings.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DrDunne,

Preflop: Depends how loose we expect the guy to continue and go broke. Obviously if you are 3betting here then vs such a stack you should also plan to go broke not 3bet/Fold. This should be clearly give you an answer what to do. :)
      Postflop: Flop & turn are fine to keep his bluffs in the play and let him barrel off, though I don't see any reason to donk the river whilst you wont get called from a lot worse but they may bluff against you.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Obviously if you are 3betting here then vs such a stack you should also plan to go broke not 3bet/Fold.

Can there not be exceptional cases? E.g., if we know that villain does not 4Bet all that often but rather calls IP, still loosely? Or generally do people with such stack sizes tend not to call but instead go broke?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Obviously if you are 3betting here then vs such a stack you should also plan to go broke not 3bet/Fold.

Can there not be exceptional cases? E.g., if we know that villain does not 4Bet all that often but rather calls IP, still loosely? Or generally do people with such stack sizes tend not to call but instead go broke?
      Why would you turn the hand into bluff this way, too strong for doing it. :P Not really vs his stack.
      Bronze
      Is it not ever possible that a villain with such a stack size can have a wide calling range vs 3Bets and have a pretty strong 4Bet range?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Is it not ever possible that a villain with such a stack size can have a wide calling range vs 3Bets and have a pretty strong 4Bet range?
      Isn't everything possible in poker? :) I can't really say it's not possible, quite obvious that it's possible but if the villain would do that, doubt so. So waste of money by that play if we are not doing it for value.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz

Preflop: Obviously if you are 3betting here then vs such a stack you should also plan to go broke not 3bet/Fold.
      +1 I didn't pay attention enough to his stack size.

Against those dudes there are 2 categories usually:

Ones that will 4B shove a lot vs your 3B. Against those I would 3B/call all day.

The super tight ones I would just flat pre as we dont wanna go broke against them. Instead 3B a looooot and small.
      Bronze
      Isn't everything possible in poker? I can't really say it's not possible, quite obvious that it's possible but if the villain would do that, doubt so. So waste of money by that play if we are not doing it for value.

Thus in vacuum vs a relatively unknown non-fullstacked villain that is not passive preflop it would be perhaps safer to just call instead of 3Betting without really knowing anything about his stack-off range?
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Isn't everything possible in poker? I can't really say it's not possible, quite obvious that it's possible but if the villain would do that, doubt so. So waste of money by that play if we are not doing it for value.

Thus in vacuum vs a relatively unknown non-fullstacked villain that is not passive preflop it would be perhaps safer to just call instead of 3Betting without really knowing anything about his stack-off range?
      Against an unknown I 3B/call.

You should deal with an unknown as an average guy at the stake you are playing. Otherwise you can push your thinking way too far and say well I am not going broke with KK bc maybe this guy is a super nit and stack off only w AA...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black

As said both options are fine, however we felt the guy being in those spots and how loose we see him going broke. Though vs the guys overall raising range we should still have decent equity to 3bet it for value.