[NL2-NL10] nl10, KQ in blinds

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $11.06 (110.6 bb)
      CO: $14.03 (140.3 bb)
      BTN: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (SB): $16.83 (168.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q K
      CO folds, BTN raises to $0.25, Hero raises to $0.80, BB folds, BTN raises to $2.40, Hero folds

Results:
      $1.70 pot
      BTN mucked and won $1.70 ($0.90 net)

again, 3bet or call? Villain is fairly tight over a small sample.
  • 9 replies
    • jiffybag
      jiffybag
      Bronze
      I'd only flat if I new he was the type of player to bet once on flops and then give up the turn with his air, rest of the time I would either just 3bet or fold.
      But that's just me, what do the other regs think?
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      3-betting here is fine, this hand is hard to play OOP, especially if you don't hit. If you know that your opponent can 4-bet bluff, then flatting would be the best choice.

Against 4-bet, you should fold.

E: 3-bet it to 1 dollar, you should treat his bet as normal 0,3 steal.
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      I think 3betting here is OK if you expect him to 4bet or fold, because of blockers. Assuming he isn't opening a supertight range only.

I wouldn't want to call that and play OOP.

I'm assuming there isn't much 4bet bluffing going on...
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CPallo

Why? I don't think you're getting anymore fold equity with a bigger 3bet why give yourself worse odds to bluff? I'd just do it to 75-80 max.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      Originally posted by jules97
      I'm assuming there isn't much 4bet bluffing going on...
      lol not at unibet that's for sure. there is a lot of calling tho... and i have problems playing with overcards in 3bet pots. thanks for the comments!
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jules97
      Originally posted by CPallo

Why? I don't think you're getting anymore fold equity with a bigger 3bet why give yourself worse odds to bluff? I'd just do it to 75-80 max.
      You're giving him too cheap flops there for e.g his PP's, don't let his open-size blind you :)
    • Thorek
      Thorek
      Bronze
      3-bet vs steal with blockers is very good, flat call without position vs unk is not an option. Vs 4-bet u have to fold.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

There is a bit of everything in this thread and mostly good stuff. But to make sure that everyone understands really why we should do what I will try to post a detailed explanation.

Obviously stats would help a great deal to answer whether flatting or calling is best here (not only pre flop stats btw but also how he plays post flop). Since we don't have any let's see what we should be doing and when:

With KQ we clearly dominate BU's stealing range and calling, even OOP, would be +EV. The real question here is to know whether or not 3B is higher EV.

3B KQ is good if BU calls often our resteal (which I am not sure about at those stakes). If BU defend QJ, KJ, KT, QT etc... that's great for us since he will have very often a dominated hand when we flop a pair.

3B is less attractive if BU 4B or folds since we have to fold vs his 4B we only win 4bb by making him fold his crap.

If he does 4B or fold, then calling becomes better to keep his whole range in. Then we have to look at how he plays post flop to know how to proceed post flop. useful info would be CBet %, Turn CBet %, fold to x/r etc...
      Since we have no stats we can play our hand relatively straight forward untill we get reads.

So to sum up the preflop decisions vs an unknown we have to know what is the general tendencies of regs at NL10. Do they 4B/fold or call more?

Hope that helps

EDIT: Forgot about the sizing: you can make it 9bb vs a 2.5bb open.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DrDunne,

Dublimax made a really good point there, can read it. :) But basically the idea here is that vs a loose guy you could easily even 3bet it for value as long he is also unknown, nor the calling ain't wrong but then again becomes into handy how good you also understand postflop etc.

Best Regards.