TheEagle851

• TheEagle851
      TheEagle851
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Money, mastering NL Hold'em, participating in big tournaments.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Can not overcome my ego and often get into a hands, I know I am already beatten. I think I go on tilt very easily.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

It means to chose your starting hands carefully and extract as much value as you can out of them.
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Ego problems are very important to fix cause you more often going to lose a lot money in long run rather than win. The problem comes from you trying to win too many pots and showing everything who is the boss on the table, so called "sheriff syndrome". But is it always about winning the pots? It could easily be even to be capable of folding and trying to understand that we are behind even if we get really good odds. Try to force down the sheriff in you, try to remind yourself what you are doing on the table. I am pretty sure that you are also planning to win money in the long run so try to give your best. Could even write on a piece of paper not to do fancy moves and put it near your desktop.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

What about analyzing your sessions? At least with it you could show your ego how bad you playing.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • TheEagle851
      TheEagle851
      Bronze
      Lesson 2: Homework

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Sometimes, when I am in position, I slowplay the big pairs ( AA, KK, QQ), if there is a raise and the players in the pot are easy to beat. Doing so, thinking that move increases the EV even more.
      Also I wonder, if we can increase the EV of a weak hand such as QJs, KTs, A2s, 78s etc. by reraising a player, with one or more players in the pot.
      And last, I have raised with hands like 82o, 53o, T4o in early position, because I believe it is worth doing so, if the players on the table are very tight. In my eyes it is pretty smooth move and I like it, but to my friends it looks like I am trying to commit suicide.
      I would be pleased to hear your opinion on that matter.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

MaxSSS555 is at seat 0 with $1.29.
      MLFR4 is at seat 1 with $3.66.
      siqueira is at seat 2 with $5.37.
      Koffein2 is at seat 3 with $6.36.
      1John is at seat 4 with $5.31.
      Ratatman is at seat 5 with $1.95.
      Nikolay666 is at seat 6 with $4.76.
      Silik1972 is at seat 7 with $3.44.
      TheEagle851 is at seat 8 with $4.83.
      Forten55 is at seat 9 with $4.42.

The dealer is seat 6.

Silik1972 posts a blind of $0.03.
      TheEagle851 posts a blind of $0.05.
      (TheEagle851 is dealt Ad Qd.)

Pre-flop:
      Forten55 calls for $0.05.
      MaxSSS555 folds.
      MLFR4 folds.
      siqueira calls for $0.05.
      Koffein2 folds.
      1John calls for $0.05.
      Ratatman calls for $0.05.
      Nikolay666 folds.
      Silik1972 folds.
      TheEagle851 checks.

The flop comes
      10c 10s Ac.

TheEagle851 bets $0.17.
      Forten55 folds.
      siqueira calls for $0.17.
      1John calls for $0.17.
      Ratatman folds.

The turn comes 5d.

TheEagle851 checks.
      siqueira checks.
      1John bets $0.14.
      TheEagle851 raises $0.28.
      siqueira folds.
      1John calls for $0.28.

The river comes 7c.

TheEagle851 bets $0.65.
      1John folds.
      $0.65 is pushed back to TheEagle851.

[BOLDON]TheEagle851 mucks.[BOLDOFF]
      [BOLDON]TheEagle851 wins pot ($1.53).[BOLDOFF]

I wonder if it was better to raise preflop since evrebody is just limping. With hand like AdQd I am way ahead of all the limpers dispite my early position. As soon as I saw the flop I felt regret. However, I thoght if I bet and nobody raises I have the best hand ( there is a flushdraw and maybe a gutshot).

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

I used the equilab. It says AKo vs 88+, AJs+, KQs+, AKo is 46.32 against 53.68

I also calculated the equity of T4o.

Очакван дял Печалба Равенство
      UTG 39.43% 37.38% 2.05% { Td4h }
      UTG+1 60.57% 58.52% 2.05% { 22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q2s+, J2s+, T2s+, 92s+, 82s+, 72s+, 62s+, 52s+, 42s+, 32s } I am sorry, it is in Bulgarian.

Well that is it!

I read about "sheriff syndrome" and I think it will go away once I clear my mind of all the rubish going on and decide what my priorities are.

I understand what it takes to do what you do in this course and appreciate it.

Thank you very much :)
    • TheEagle851
      TheEagle851
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3d3c? How does the equity change on this flop: Js5d3s?

Preflop
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Flop
      Board: 5dJs3s
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

I would be pleased if you tell me how to calculate the equity myself. I train on the Equilab trainer but can not figure out how it works.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

bg.pokerstrategy.com
      Борд: 6d3d2c5c
      CO 28.59% 26.27% 2.32% { AcJc }
      BU 71.41% 69.09% 2.32% { 66-22, 87s, 54s }

That is the Equity of Hero's hand. On the turn BU gives us 4.1 to 1 pot odds, and we have 5.5 to 1 card odds( It should be 4 to 1, but I disccounted 6c and 3c as they may give the BU a full hause). It looks like we are not getting the right odds to call, but if we use the implied odds it is tramendously profitable, as we are sure he is going broke. So it looks like we are calling 22 to win 91, when in fact we call 22 to win 2.39.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

TheEagle851

I understand what it takes to do what you do in this course and appreciate it.

Thank you very much :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Sorry for delayed answer, I have been moving to new country so it did take me to set up everything at my place, now I am back and starting to evaluate the homeworks.

You could just post into your old thread the new homeworks and questions. :)

Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Sometimes, when I am in position, I slowplay the big pairs ( AA, KK, QQ), if there is a raise and the players in the pot are easy to beat. Doing so, thinking that move increases the EV even more.

How you will increase your value if you slowplay them vs just a single raise. I am curious to hear what you have to say. :)

Also I wonder, if we can increase the EV of a weak hand such as QJs, KTs, A2s, 78s etc. by reraising a player, with one or more players in the pot.

Depends of course against what player you are against. Some like to call 3bets a lot then you can't really 3bet them. If you get called then mainly dominated so it's not a good idea to 3bet.

And last, I have raised with hands like 82o, 53o, T4o in early position, because I believe it is worth doing so, if the players on the table are very tight. In my eyes it is pretty smooth move and I like it, but to my friends it looks like I am trying to commit suicide.I would be pleased to hear your opinion on that matter.

That's a huge leak of yours again, raising those hands from EP is just waste of money. Remove it now or you going to lose tons of money in the future and most likely have difficult time to move up the limits. Also open the BSS chart and take a look at it again what hands you should be playing. :(

If you want to post hands please do post them into Hand Evaluation forums where it will be evaluated. :) Here rather post theory stuff and also homeworks.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!