Help me to deal with it.

• Firehoper
      Firehoper
      Bronze
      Hi poker players,

Ok, I want to say that i have a horrible period at the moment. The main thing that makes me nervous is, that seems like I have no luck at all.

I started to play at stars about 1 and a half week ago. Raised my starting 57$ to 95$ in a couple of days with just only 1$ SnG's. But i guess thats normal, every player is running okay after his first deposit.

But now... 9 of 10 times i go allin with the best hand, and i win one or two. I get beaten by 1card flushes, also when i get 2 outered it doesnt really surprise me... When i get top two pairs, i get beaten by slowplayed set... My draws never completes... In short, Im getting rivered (yes, river makes me most damage) in 80% of time. When i have even not good, just normal run where i just dont face any ridiculous beats - im allways in the money. Now i have 70$ left and it goes down slowly but surely. I take breaks, refresh my mind, do everything is said to get up again, but after a couple of hands everything starts again. For example, yesterday, after getting rivered with 4 suited card board, being very shorstacked, i got AKs, went allin from SB, BB called and showed me KK. This happened 3 times in one day. Everytime i shove a good gand like AK, Aq, JJ, just only one opponent who is behind me calls and shows me a monster. I win 2 of 10 coinflips, when our hands are similiar to my opp's.

Im really thinking to cashout my money while there are some bucks left, because im pretty sure that with this streak, i cant make my money grow.

Probably my lady luck doesnt like me at poker, because exactly the same way i lost my starting 50$ at titan, and i feel its going to repeat at stars...
  • 21 replies
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi Firehoper,

Yes, such things happen to all of us. Just keep working on your game such a downswing will end, that's for sure.
      Maybe it helps to read an article concerning this topic:
      - Downswing - a psychological consideration
      I also suggest to reread all strategy articles, because you are still in the beginning of your poker career and it needs some effort to learn everything and climb up the limits. It's very important that you have a good ratio between playing and learning.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Firehoper
      Firehoper
      Bronze
      Thank you for your answer,

Im not even thinking, how to reach a better limit... All i want to do that I could get out of this ridiculous period and start making some bucks. Because, if in such rare cases, i manage to win a SnG, prize for it is small, and later 2 or 3 SnG's makes my days balance with a minus.

And now im really choked, i have no idea what to do. I allready re-red SnG articles and I am pretty sure i know how to play them, also i posted hands. But ok, lets say, in early stages i almost never get a hand to raise my stack with. Later, in Push or Fold, i push with a best hand preflop, but worst hand after river. And that is the key, which forced me to post this topic...
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      That's one side of variance, you will experience the other one for sure. Even if you have read all the articles, there is still a lot room left for improvement. You can visit coachings for example. It's very important to not be satisfied with the level of skill you reached.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Firehoper
      Firehoper
      Bronze
      Thank you for your help, hopefully someday i will be able to feel that nice feeling when everything is working for you... Thanks a lot.

And, if we talk about coacings, is it possible to retrack my account that i could produce pokerstrategy points while playing at Stars? Because i watched all bronze sng videos and all bronze articles are red by me about 3 times...
    • Firehoper
      Firehoper
      Bronze
      Ok, how can I remain confident after such ridiculous things happening 10 times in a single one day...
      Or, if Once i make some kind of hand, I am Allways messing against nuts...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

saw flop|saw showdown

Hero (t1380)
      UTG (t3660)
      MP (t2225)
      CO (t2555)
      Button (t1990)
      SB (t1690)

Preflop: Hero is BB with , .
      4 folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t100) , , (2 players)
      SB bets t150, Hero raises to t1330, SB calls t1180.

Turn: (t2760) (2 players)

River: (t2760) (2 players)

Final Pot: t2760

Results in white below:
      Hero has 3h 4h (straight, nine high).
      SB has Qs 8c (straight flush, nine high).
      Outcome: SB wins t2760.

P.S where da hell is his straight flush at this board?
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      wow... serious fk up.. wtf! he did have a flush though so u were beat... but still wtf?! :\
    • Firehoper
      Firehoper
      Bronze
      But anyway, can you imagine two better cards at turn and river to come up for him? :///
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      He had a lot of outs with his OESD.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      A downswing like the one you're on is fine if you know that it is mainly caused by huge amounts of bad luck, as opposed to bad play.
      There's no reason to lose confidence, as you know you're better than your opponents and would be winning if your short-term luck were normal. You know that in the long run you will win, and you still have a good BR for $1 sit n go's, so it's ok.

I on the other hand had a different kind of downswing in low stakes sit n go's, my BR going from $300 to $200: I wasn't getting a lot of bad beats and coolers, but was never cashing despite this. Therefore, I wasn't sure whether it was down to short term negative variance or me playing badly, and i really did have a reason to worry.

I hope this makes you less worried about your downswing.

You should definately continue studying though, as this will improve your ROI, even in $1 sit n go's.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Firehoper

And, if we talk about coacings, is it possible to retrack my account that i could produce pokerstrategy points while playing at Stars? Because i watched all bronze sng videos and all bronze articles are red by me about 3 times...
      You can try to ask the PokerStars support, but most of the times it doesn't work. I suggest to take a first deposit bonus on another platform and play there.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar

You can try to ask the PokerStars support, but most of the times it doesn't work. I suggest to take a first deposit bonus on another platform and play there.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
      If for some miricle reason it works, does that mean you gain pokerstrategy poitns for both sites even 3 sites or howeva many sites you can get it linked back?
    • Firehoper
      Firehoper
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

saw flop|saw showdown

Hero (t1250)
      UTG (t5500)
      MP (t1840)
      Button (t3890)
      SB (t1020)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J.
      UTG raises to t250, 2 folds, SB raises to t1020, Hero raises to t1250, UTG folds.

Flop: (t2520) 6, 7, T (2 players)

Turn: (t2520) 2 (2 players)

River: (t2520) K (2 players)

Final Pot: t2290

Results in white below:
      Hero has Jh Js (one pair, jacks).
      Button has (one pair, jacks).
      SB has Qh Kh (one pair, kings).
      Outcome: SB wins t2290.

This is a typical example of what kind of beats im facing in 9 of 10 tournaments. I simply cant win them when these things happen every single coinflip. And it allways happens on fuking river... Acctualy i cant even type this word...
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      how come this happens to everyone. First deposit and your bankroll jumps, then goes down.......
    • Firehoper
      Firehoper
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

saw flop|saw showdown

UTG (t3109)
      MP (t3141)
      Hero (t1550)
      SB (t2040)
      BB (t2235)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, K.
      1 fold, MP calls t150, Hero raises to t1550, 2 folds, MP calls t1400.

Flop: (t3325) T, Q, Q (2 players)

Turn: (t3325) T (2 players)

River: (t3325) J (2 players)

Final Pot: t3325

Results in white below:
      MP has Jh Qs (full house, queens full of jacks).
      Hero has Ac Kh (straight, ace high).
      Outcome: MP wins t3325.

How can I win money?
    • Firehoper
      Firehoper
      Bronze
      Okay guys. Now i have 40$ left in my PS account. I would like to ask you, how should i continue my poker "career"? Should i keep playing 1$ SnG's, or could I switch to low limit cash games? Maybe even cashout is an option after such a nice period of variance?
    • Kivisaba
      Kivisaba
      Bronze
      keep playing 1$ SIt n gos it aint that bad i lost my initial bankroll too and i don 't think i played that bad
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
      If for some miricle reason it works, does that mean you gain pokerstrategy poitns for both sites even 3 sites or howeva many sites you can get it linked back?
      Yes, that's what it means.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Okay guys. Now i have 40$ left in my PS account. I would like to ask you, how should i continue my poker "career"? Should i keep playing 1$ SnG's, or could I switch to low limit cash games? Maybe even cashout is an option after such a nice period of variance?
      It's up to you what kind of poker you want to play. But make sure that you take it seriously....read articles, post hands and listen to coachings.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • HennieP
      HennieP
      Bronze
      Some people might disagree with me but I have found that this works for me. Stick to limit games for while especially when you think you are having an off day. You don't feel a negative variance so bad when you play limit because you can control your losses a lot more. You're not going to win huge pots but you will also not lose big.

The other tip I can give you is to learn Omaha hi/lo. It is one of the easiest games to make money with if you know how to play it well. Be warned that in Omaha you experience much bigger variances but again, stick to pot lmit or limit and you'll survive the day.

Hope this helps.