Poker mind f***s ;)

• noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Sorry for the slightly rude title but I really wanted to say it haha.

Anyway, does anyone have any tricks or strategies to play with your opponents mind? Other than the basic maths stuff. Like showing your really bad bluffs to make people tilt or taking a long time to call just to intentionally make them think your unsure about your hand. I also like to show my AA/KK type cards when I'm shoving in the late stage of a tourny to put some fear in them.

Do these things actually work and what else could I be doing? :)

Btw I play very low limits against complete fish.
  • 9 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi noz03,

Seems like a fun topic. :)

Moved to Learning TO Win for you.

Regards,

Mal.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      In live play, wear pink bikinis. Works both for male and female players.

In reality, don't slowroll. It will bring you bad karma. Period.

The last sentence caught my attention. Those big fishes are the ones that give you the money. You don't make your profits through tough regs. So you should treat them as your customers. The more happy they are, the better your business is. Now if you start to make their playing experiences bad, they won't play. And then we would have a thread "it's impossible to win at micros, everyone is so tight".

It's like a fisherman who goes to a fishing club and asks everyone "hey I want to scare the fish away from my boat. Any good ideas how to do that?".
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kyyberi
      In live play, wear pink bikinis. Works both for male and female players.

In reality, don't slowroll. It will bring you bad karma. Period.

The last sentence caught my attention. Those big fishes are the ones that give you the money. You don't make your profits through tough regs. So you should treat them as your customers. The more happy they are, the better your business is. Now if you start to make their playing experiences bad, they won't play. And then we would have a thread "it's impossible to win at micros, everyone is so tight".

It's like a fisherman who goes to a fishing club and asks everyone "hey I want to scare the fish away from my boat. Any good ideas how to do that?".
      Wow, kinda made me out to be a bit of an a**hole there... When I say I wait a while to call I'm talking about 7 or 8 sections, and about once or twice an hour. And not to annoy people but to act like I am thinking about my move. I'm not the guy who counts down to the last second every turn just to piss people off.

I meant the post to be about stuff like betting 199 instead of 200 to confuse people, or other psychological stuff like that. Anyway, I guess it got took the wrong way.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Oh, sorry if I sounded rude. Was not trying to :)

Psychologically betting 199 looks cheaper to fish than 200. Every markets person knows that. I use that against bad players all the time. Like betting $12 on river looks more to them than $11.75.

Especially in micro tournaments some players like to bet an amount that makes as big pile of chips as possible. So they might bet something like 1475 instead of 1500. To make it look stronger, lol.

One normal thing to do is to always wait for few seconds before making the "snapcall". If you snapcall villains riverbet, he might get suspicious and finds his leaks. If you wait for few seconds, he might think he almost pulled off the bluff.
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      No problems, and don't worry I'm not doing anythign that pisses people off.

About the 199 instead of 200 thing, I always think that 199 is such an obvious move that they will either think that Im intentionally trying to make my bet look smaller and get scared of it.

I love doing stuff like this in live poker, takes away a lot of the luck element of the game. Just wish there was more I could do online.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Played with a guy who bet things like 555,666 etc.
      I saw him a lot, and he seemed a reasonable guy.

I finally asked why.

About 5 min later he typed:
      quadplegic

or something like that.

If he was yanking my chain, it was brilliant.

If he really was a quadriplegic, even better.
    • quailroger93
      quailroger93
      Basic
      It might not be too serious but the topic is relevant and it has of good thoughts. :P
    • Calanau
      Calanau
      Bronze
      I remember there was this strategy to go play bold game at the beginning of the game (lets say first 20 hands) calling opponents pre - flop bets (only in a situation where you can play with only one opponent post - flop ) and calling him down to the end if you hit anything like middle pair etc. to make people think you are a loos player/calling station/fish etc. After 20 hands they will be hunting you (and might think that their weaker hands will beat you as you probably again play with a garbage) trying to have a position over you but then you will tight up and choose the good hand to get them.

Also if in a game you play / site you play on, you have a chance to show card/s then do it showing one or both cards. I sometimes choose one card, let's say 4 and everytime I bet preflop with 4x hand and I win a pot I show the 4 and only 4 just to make people remember that low card.

Also the bet amount should be different then standard onse like 3/4 pot etc. Type your bets yourself. If you want to bet half a pot on a pot 4,600 don't type 2,300 but type 2,947. Its more difficult for people to quickly calculate the bet and odds that way. Many players use your bet to figure out the strengh of your hand. If they see the bet of 1/2 pot they know you are not sure of your hand if they see 3/4 they might feel they are behind. Betting wierd numbers will make it more difficult for them to figure out the size of your bet and the strenght of your hand. Also it's confusing as not many people does it, so if you see someone who does you might be thinking what is going on in here :)
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noz03
      No problems, and don't worry I'm not doing anythign that pisses people off.

About the 199 instead of 200 thing, I always think that 199 is such an obvious move that they will either think that Im intentionally trying to make my bet look smaller and get scared of it.

I love doing stuff like this in live poker, takes away a lot of the luck element of the game. Just wish there was more I could do online.
      I did the odd bet size instead of a rounded #, I never noticed a difference, good players don't go for it and bad players don't know or care, they're only interested in what they're holding. When I first started playing S&Gs, I use to make weird bets or raises, and if I won the hand I use to say sorry, I'm new to poker and don't really know what I'm doing, some players would get upset and give the big lecture on how to play. I tried in cash and this player said where do you think you are, save it this isn't Kansas, Dorthy.