Amateur/Semi-Pro/Pro? - Define

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

How are poker players classified as amateurs, semi-pro or a pro?

I read on a few blogs (not from this site) that some grinders consider themselves semi-pro. How do they recognize themselves as semi-pro rather than AM?

Is an "amateur" just someone who plays casually and is at the break-even point or slightly losing?

Is a semi-pro a poker player who has a job but plays poker as a second income?

I already know what professional is so there's no need for anyone to define that.

The reason I'm asking is not that I want to classify myself as any of these. I am just curious about this.

Thanks,

Maythany
  • 12 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well my definition is that a pro is anyone who makes his money only from playing poker, semi-pro is somebody who plays on regular bases but still having a normal job and an amateur im not really sure, i guess some one who plays occasionally and poker income is insignificant in relation to his real income. I guess an amateur is the same as fish?
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Double post
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      When a fish calls your 3-bet with 96o, peels two barrels with 9-high, makes his gutshot on the river and you go like this...

... then you're a pro!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      When a fish calls your 3-bet with 96o, peels two barrels with 9-high, makes his gutshot on the river and you go like this...

... then you're a pro!
      Or he is...

Pro: Primary source of income is poker.
      Semi-pro: Significant source of income is poker, but has other income
      Amateur: Primary source of income is something other than poker.

Non of the designations needs to imply any level of skill.
      In the amateur category, Guy Laliberté comes to mind.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone!
    • AwaysRemember
      AwaysRemember
      Bronze
      So pretty much any 18 years old player still living with his parents without a job should be considered a pro ?
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by AwaysRemember
      So pretty much any 18 years old player still living with his parents without a job should be considered a pro ?
      No because he isn't making his living playing poker, he makes his living off his parents.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      My opinion is that the difference betweena professional and an amateur is their state of mind and approach to the game.

I really think 'semi-profesional' is an amateur, not a part time professional. This because I don't see a way of approaching the game professionally in one instance and as an amateur the next. Playing part time you still have the same mindset, money isn't the issue.
      You can be very professional and not earn a cent as a volunteer for example.

Just my 2c is all, feel free... :D
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      not sure if I understand your classification qeustion. espacially amateur. Do you mean a player that is just starting the game or one that is just playing for fun or do you think this also includes people just winning with rakeback or just making pocket change of there poker game? if the later the definition of amateur seems way to broad to say anything about it since it would consist of all players that are bad to players that are at least somewhat decent.

I for one would at least make the destiction at a recreational player ( one that plays poker because he finds it fun, but won't spend time inproving his game ) and a hobbyiest ( one that injoys playing poker and actively looking to improve his game although not making mentinable or even losing slightly).

for semi-pro I would go define someone that is making a decent level of money on average, but still has an regular job or other means to support him.

A pro is everybody that can support himself and him family solely from income of poker and poker affiliated income
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sirilidion
      not sure if I understand your classification qeustion. espacially amateur. Do you mean a player that is just starting the game or one that is just playing for fun or do you think this also includes people just winning with rakeback or just making pocket change of there poker game? if the later the definition of amateur seems way to broad to say anything about it since it would consist of all players that are bad to players that are at least somewhat decent.

I for one would at least make the destiction at a recreational player ( one that plays poker because he finds it fun, but won't spend time inproving his game ) and a hobbyiest ( one that injoys playing poker and actively looking to improve his game although not making mentinable or even losing slightly).

for semi-pro I would go define someone that is making a decent level of money on average, but still has an regular job or other means to support him.

A pro is everybody that can support himself and him family solely from income of poker and poker affiliated income
      +1
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      dump the semi-pro. it's relatively meaningless term, especially if you compare to other sports. More like an ego brushing term, since one doesn't want to be called amateur, as spending 5 hours a day reading poker forums is almost full-time occupation :f_biggrin:

pro - someone who's main occupation (profession) is playing poker
      amateur - someone who is focused on improving and becoming pro (eventually)
      recreational - someone who plays regularly but doesn't see poker as career choice
      not a player - everyone else

I dont think that money is actually that important for those definitions, since one could in theory be a losing (ever a period of time) professional high-stakes player, as well as a winning micro-ubergrinder-pro content with making and living off 500 euro a month. also, winning a couple million in a tourney wouldn't make you a pro...
    • masfe
      masfe
      Bronze
      I always considered myself as a semi-pro. I'm a student finishing my masters degree, and poker is my only income, but i only play as a part-time (3h/day) and my intention is to get a full time job when i finish my master's.