Deepstack Slow Tournaments

• M0na1isa
      M0na1isa
      Bronze
      Hi guys

Haven't been around much lately. Had some real life issues (partying way too much!). Question is, how good deepstack slow paces MTTs are?

I thought I can use my edge much more on this type of tournament since post-flop play actually matters way more. So I played 1 yesterday. $33 BI 120 something entrants.

It took 12 hours! Thank god I kinda shipped it but otherwise even if end up like 5th totally not worth the time!

So in terms of hourly rates, do they really worth grinding? Also, since I believe variance is lower, can one goes above his BI limit on these tourneys so at least prizes would be more worthy?

Cheers
  • 2 replies
    • FarligeJohn
      FarligeJohn
      Bronze
      I think you should stick to your BI limit, and then study Dan Harrington´s second book "Harrington on Hold 'em: The Endgame". It teaches you how to play very well in the later stages of a deep stacked tournament, and will give you an advantage over your opponents, you wouldn't believe!

These tournaments are good for the good grinder, and when you become a better player and make lots of final tables it is definitely worth the long hours.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      I wouldn't play these tournaments since your hourly will be extremely low. Furthermore I don't want to play tournaments for 15 hours or longer.

The variance is significantly lower and the player field is extremely weak since no reg is willing to play these tournaments. Therefore they are a good opportunity to build up a bankroll. Imo you can play them with a significantly lower BR then you would need for a similar sized tournament with normal structure. I guess 50% of the BR you would normally need should be sufficient.

Regards,
      Asaban