Playing from the blinds against raise+callers

• Hawat
      Hawat
      Bronze
      How do you play a raised preflop from the blinds? I've read several advices in different posts so I want to put them all together here.

First there is this but my German is not that good so I have some questions:
      1) Can you use that from both blinds?
      2) Can you use it against any kind of action (even 3-bets)?
      3) Can you count limpers as raise-callers. I mean they usually complete, at least on low limits.
      4) Are Connectors:45-JT, 1Gappers: 34,QJ,35-J9 and 2Gappers: 23,KQ,24-J8?
      5) Is there anything else you should consider about your hand? Is JT as playable as 45 or more playable than KQ? Is Axs like any other suited hand and Axo that bad?

I remember Cirith (I think) saying that you can use suited, connected and pairs from the BB-defense chart. But I'm not sure if it was against limpers+raise or raise+1 call. (And what do people exactly mean by connectors?)

Is there any difference between FR and SH?

And finally, should I just equilate hands where I'm in doubt and shut up? :D
  • 3 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi Hawat,

I'll give it a try. :)

1) Should be fine.

2) You should throw away hands which might be dominated. As T4s or so.

3) Yes, you can count them in but don't count them with 100%. Sometimes they fold sometimes they 3-bet. 90% should be fine.

4) No. Suited connectors are hands like T9s, 98s etc. where no gap is between the two cards.
      97s would be 1 gappers as an 8 fit into the middle and 96s is a suited 2 gapper.
      I think you got it right but made little typing errors. :)

5) Sure it is as the higher the cards are the more value they get. You hit a toppair more often with JT than with 54. Additonally you have less outs against you if you got a pair as even if you have a toppair with 54 every hand above a 5 is bad for you in some kind.

I don't rememaber what exactly you mean with BB defend but you can use this chart:

http://de.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=34865

Chart (4) is the chart you search for I guess. If not please let me know. :)

Connectors = hands which are connected = hand without a gap between them = T9o, 54s, 76s etc.. :)

There is no difference between FR and SH. At FR table you will get more chances to call these hands asa there are more players who can call. Highcardsvalue is decreasing as well but this isn't calculated in chart (4) as much as I know.

Equilating is never a mistake but not if others already made a good job at it. :)
    • Hawat
      Hawat
      Bronze
      2) Do you mean against 3-bets or always?

3) Makes sense.

4) I understand what they are, but I should have explained it better. I mean that 23 and KQ don't have as much straight potential as JT or 45. So, should I treat them as connectors or as 2-gappers?

5) Ok. I wanted to know if their top pair potential is important here or not as you will probably be dominated in these situations.

I understood that you were talking about charts like (5) or the chart in the bronze extended SHC. Those charts are for defense against 1 raiser and I thought that you said you can use them somehow when there are additional limpers/callers in the hand. But I can't find the post so forget about it, maybe I misunderstood you.
      Btw, why does (4) say w/o implied?

Oops. I wanted to ask about "connected hands", not connectors. I think that sometimes people use that for gappers too.

Thanks for your answers.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      2) Ahh. No you can't use it against every action. My answer above was about a 3-bet. If capped it's even more important to look at the hand and if it could be dominated.

4) This is indeed a good question. Very good point and not noticed in the chart. You should judge it by the amout of straightdraw possibilities. So 32 is indeed not a suited connector as the chart means. KQ is a bit different as it has a high highcard potential which evens out the less straightdraw possibilites (as well as AK).

Hm chart (5) has PFR values in it so I wouldn't use it for defending against 2 or more. I know no chart for that kind of action so I go with chart (4) as well if I can't 3-bet myself.

w/o implied means that this chart doesn't calculate with the implied odds (w/o = without). It means that if you call a pocketpair for setvalue and you hit your set you have great implied odds so you can add these when calling preflop. But be careful with it. I would only count the implied odds in when playing pocketpairs as the others miht have negaitive implied odds (when hitting a pair while being dominated or so).
      Because of that pocketpairs can be called quiet looser than the chart tells you. 1 raiser and 1 caller should nearly always be enough. Even raise, 3-bet can be coldcalled as your implied odds are increasing if the possibility that your oppponent have better hand gets higher.