[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25 JTo, top two, sucky situation

• zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      CO: $25.00
      BTN: $25.00
      SB: $26.75 = unknown. This was my first hand at the table. The only thing I knew was that he was playing 4 tables, so most likely not a horrible player.
      Hero (BB): $25.00
      UTG: $27.32
      MP: $25.74

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is BB with T :heart: J :club:
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.00) 2 :diamond: J :diamond: T :diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.75, SB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $0.75

Turn: ($4.00) 9 :club: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.75, Hero raises to $6, SB raises to $10.25, Hero...

Should I reraise on the flop? At the time I decided to see what the turn brings. What do I do on the turn given villain's line?
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello zobupasts,

With your 2pairs you wont have very good equity against his overall range and might of course be there already against a trap. Therefore I'd myself also go for Raise/Fold on the turn cause I doubt you going to see bluffs there nor FDs.

Best Regards.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      And the flop?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      And the flop?
      What's about it? You mean either to 3bet or not? Well, gimme the range you think the guy goes broke, even with 2pairs your equity vs just FD is going to be not that good.
      Bronze
      The reason for us raising the turn then is that his small sizing sort of looks relatively weak, i.e., could still be an overpair or a draw?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      The reason for us raising the turn then is that his small sizing sort of looks relatively weak, i.e., could still be an overpair or a draw?
      Doubt that an overpair would play this way, rather just a trap which plays badly. :D Though in first place his donk might be a draw which we usually reevaluate after he 3bets us.
      Bronze
      This seems like a very strange line to take with a draw. Why check/minraise the flop with the AdKh for example? Doesn't look like he wants fold equity at all.
      That leaves us with a badly played trap or a some sort of a hand like AdAx, all of which have decent equity vs our hand anyway.
      That said, does it not make sense to just call the small turn bet and reevaluate the river? Because his range looks very trap-heavy. We have quite some implied odds for our FH even.

Although there is a point in raising in order to make our hand more easy to play by getting a free showdown and avoiding difficult river decisions.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      This seems like a very strange line to take with a draw. Why check/minraise the flop with the AdKh for example? Doesn't look like he wants fold equity at all.
      That leaves us with a badly played trap or a some sort of a hand like AdAx, all of which have decent equity vs our hand anyway.
      That said, does it not make sense to just call the small turn bet and reevaluate the river? Because his range looks very trap-heavy. We have quite some implied odds for our FH even.

Although there is a point in raising in order to make our hand more easy to play by getting a free showdown and avoiding difficult river decisions.
      Check/min-Raise can easily be nutted hand and also even draws, you never know unless you also know a bit more about the opponent. I'd still raise the turn for protection and reevaluate it afterwards.