emiliomb

• emiliomb
      emiliomb
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

My name is Emilio. I'm Brazilian and I'm 26. I play poker for about 2 months.

My objective is to turn into a professional player. I decided to initiate this long path with this begginer's course.

Thanks,
      Emilio.
  • 6 replies
    • emiliomb
      emiliomb
      Bronze
      Some months ago I tried to play poker profitably (I didn't know about pokestrategy), but it was unsuccessful. I played only with the knowledge of the basic rules of Texas Holdem, without any strategy.

With pokestrategy I play for about 2 months. Until .02/.05 limit I played with MSS strategy. I got money to start playing at a higher limit (.05/.10). I started this limit with the BSS strategy and I realized how complex it is. In the some sections I played I had no profits and no losses too.

I have much to learn! :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck emiliomb,

Great to have you with us here, hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • emiliomb
      emiliomb
      Bronze
      Thanks Veriz :)

I have one begginer's doubt about math on poker. In theory for us to know if we could profitably call a bet we have to calculate the odds, right? But it is usual bet one half to one pot. So it is difficult to have the odds to complete a flush or a OESD for example. For example, I have a nut flush draw (9 outs) and the vilan makes a continuation bet of 3/4 the pot. I don't have the odds to call, but should I call knowing that this is a continuation bet 'bluff'?

Sorry if it is a stupid question.

Thanks.
    • emiliomb
      emiliomb
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Honestly my main motivation is to win extra and easy money. Firstly I know that I have to study a lot to become very good poker player.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Sometimes lack of discipline is one negative point on me. Sometimes I get on tilt when I have a bad beat. I end up losing more money playing badly. I think I need to know how to deal with bad beats and continue to play with patience, concentration and regularly.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Play tight agressive means to play pre-flop agressively with selective hands according to our position. It is important to keep the agressiveness post-flop betting/raising depending on the board and the amount and type of opponents we're facing.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Sorry for delayed answer, I have been moving to new country so it did take me to set up everything at my place, now I am back and starting to evaluate the homeworks.

About your odds call, basically what you haven't read at all is implied odds, take a look at this article: link. This will help you understand why we calling in first place with our nut-FD.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Sorry for delayed answer, I have been moving to new country so it did take me to set up everything at my place, now I am back and starting to evaluate the homeworks.

Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Discipline is common problem for a lot of players. Few things you could set up for yourself is that you can put a plan which you follow. How long sessions you have, when you play and not only about poker but could even set up some other schedule as well like doing some sports. But keep in mind that forcing yourself and getting used to the schedule is kind of must. At first it might be difficult but after time you adjust. :) The same goes for distractions what are common to happen when you ain't disciplined enough, try to remind yourself what you are doing on the table! Focusing enough is the key.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.