MateuszRybinski

• mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      Hallo, my name is Mateusz Rybinski and in couple of day I will go to India to join a yoga school. Is about three mouths long so I will need to do something more analytical and fun to pass the time.

I have played poker couple of mouths ago, but I never feel for it. I played SnG so I will try to play same NL this time. I know much about the stress that affect poker player.

I feel that I have a good advantage in this area because I meditate, do yoga and train very much. With all the healthily habits I have, I feel that poker will not be to big struggle mentality. So I will give it a really chans this time!
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck mateuszrybinski,

Out of curiosity does yoga also help you with poker? Like do you tilt less or you are more concentrate during your sessions?

Great to have you with us here, hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      I place my notes here from the articals so I have them on the same place.

lesson one: What is the Big Stack Strategy?

Bankroll Management

BRM means that I should see my money as a investment. By playing poker with a positive mathematical expectation I will win money in the longterm.

It doesn't mater of I win or lose so long I have the odds in my favor and have the mental capability to retain a solid playing style even under tremendous stress. This stress can come from many difference factors as downswing, personal problems, bad beats etc.

As the article state I should keep a 25 buy in rule:

- You always join a table with a full stack (100 big blinds). 100 big blinds equal one buy-in.

- Once you have 25 buy-ins for the next highest limit, you can move up to that limit.

- If you only have 25 buy-ins for the next lowest limit, you must move down to that limit.

---
      The tight-aggressive playing style

When I play this style I will be very conservative about which hand I will enter with. But when I enter I will play aggressive poker. Aggressive means that I will bet and raise often.

limit player
      Important thing about raising is to limit how many players are in the pot. It is next to always better to play head up with one opponent than enter a multi-way pot. I can have the best hand but I also have the option to make my opponent fold his best hand and there by win the pot. In a multi-way pot is much harder to do that.

thigh range for opponent
      Also to tighten my opponents range. I can't be sure that my opponent will lay down 72o in the low limit games, and there by I need to have some sort of read if the opponent is better then total fish to have to possibility to relay on that strategy. (am I right?)

lead
      Taking the lead and by that making it much easier to bluff if I don't hit anything on the flop.

Position
      Information is power in poker and there by I want to play much from position. If I want to enter from early position I need to have strong hand to compromise the information disadvantage.

Practical vs. theory

In the beginning I will need to focuses much on the theory.

It will take me about two- three day to go tore all the articles on the bronze level.

My plan will be to:

read one article every day.
        read two poker books every week.
        Watch video 30min every day and take note.
        Play one hour.
        Do a session review.
        Post hands.

No-Limit Beginners Course - Lesson 1: The Course and PokerStrategy.com

The idea behind the courses?
      To make a guided learning path for the beginners.

How should I approach poker?
      Poker requires
      - time
      I have to much time, no work and traveling the world allows my to have much pass time that I need to fill.
      - motivation
      I'm strongly motivated to play good poker. I have money now but it will run out sometime and to continue to travel I need to get a income and I see poker as the way to do it.
      - Nerves
      I mediated and preform all sort mental exercises to make sure that my mind is healthy. This exercises will benefit my greatly in my poker career.
      - Ambition
      My ambition is become a great poker player. not a grinder but a professional poker player.
      - Diligence
      I have a problem here. I love to start projects but I often not Finnish them. So this is my test! I really need poker to continue my lifestyle and I can do it from what every place I want. It will give me the ultimate freedom. So this is my only projects and I will not give it up before I earn a living!

analyses my desiccation and not care so much about the results.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I love games where you really need to think and analysis your game. I traded for about one year and I really loved it. But my bankroll was just to small to make a living. So I will try poker. I'm now living on $5-10 and my first goal is to earn $15 every day so I can continue my lifestyle. My second goal is to get 50k and start a houseboat company in Sweden.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My mistakes are:

I don't analyses my sessions.
        I play often to loose.
        I try to outsmart my opponents instead of focus on the longterm.
        I spend to much reading and learning than playing.
        I don't know the odds.
        I can't sometimes verbalize my dessitions.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      To be very conservative when choosing hand to play and playing aggreesive when you have choosen a hand.

It work because when you bet you have two way of wining: you win with the best hand or your opponent folds. You put pressure on your opponent and there by making it harder for the opponent to make a good decision. And by betting with only good hands you will have better chance to stand against the opponent when he decides to call our bets.

A BRM idea:

I wounder if it a good idea to do this?

I have $50 and I win $4 and put $2 in bankroll and $2 in a side roll. I win 3 more times so I have: $58 and $8.

Now I have to two buy in for NL4. So I enter one NL4 table and if I win I continue to put money into the side pot until I play only NL4 on all my table. So when I play all table I will stop putting money into my Bankroll instead I put my winnings into "sideroll one" and Sideroll two". I will enter a bigger game with the "sideroll two" when it big the roll have two buyins.

why two buyin's? I have a stop loss of two buy in for every session and four for a day.

so lets say this
      50 +4
      52 (2) +4
      54 (4) +4
      56 (6) +4
      58 (8) +4
      61 (11) +6 (Play one NL4 and One NL2.)
      64 (14) +6
      67 (17) +6
      71 (21) +8 (play two NL4 and making a sideroll for the next level.)
      71 (25) (4) +8

The point is to play as high limit as possible but still maintain a good BRM and not risking getting busted. It make it possible to move up really fast when I have a good run and limit the damage to two buyin's.

what do you think? :D

Happy poker playing!
      MR
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Sorry for delayed answer, I have been moving to new country so it did take me to set up everything at my place, now I am back and starting to evaluate the homeworks. :)

About your BRM I'd say that for smaller limits it's fine to use 25 BI strategy though for NL25+ I'd recommend starting to use 30/40 and even 50 BI rule. 25 is still pretty aggressive management but it's good for the start-up.

About laziness I'd say that it's not only with poker but wherever you want to become good at something you have to invest a lot of time. Being lazy is usually some excuse to get out of it. In poker it's going to cost you even money if you at some point are taking it not seriously, so therefore try to force yourself not being lazy. Write even on paper and read it before the game and remind to yourself what you are there to do.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Well, if you are rather having problems with BRM then why would you play out of it? In the beginning it's the most important thing to understand what's the purpose of the BRM. If you ain't even able to hold it in the beginning as move up/down then how you going to do it on higher limits? :( It's not about just moving up FAST, it's also about learning the game so you would be ready for higher limits.

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.